Don't overlook these hidden gem cities with a high quality of life

BernieP

Resident PIA
Don't overlook these hidden gem cities with a high quality of life

I like to look at these pieces just for the humor. Here's what they have for Maryland under the "Hidden Gem Listing"

Maryland
  • Bethesda
    • Median list price: $1,180,000
    • Livability score: 76
  • Bel Air
    • Median list price: $384,900
    • Livability score: 75
  • Ellicott City
    • Median list price: $575,000
    • Livability score: 74
  • Severna Park
    • Median list price: $561,950
    • Livability score: 73
  • Largo
    • Median list price: $289,995
    • Livability score: 73

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I see these and wonder what the people who compile these things are looking for in a community.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Omaha or Lincoln, in Nebraska.
If there had been a job to go to for Anita when she was Riffed by the USAF in August 1994, we would have gone back to Omaha.

steppinthrax

Diversity.

They are looking at the proximity to major metro areas (DC, NoVa). DC and VA is where the jobs are if you haven't figured that out already. They are looking at the proximity to commercial/retail. They are looking at the economic demographics of the residents there (i.e. highly educated, income, occupation, wealth). They are looking at the quality of the school system. These are also "planned" cities where a lot of thought was put into road design, pedestrian capacity etc....

But you wanted to be ignorant. :rolleyes:

Spitfire

They are looking at the proximity to major metro areas (DC, NoVa). DC and VA is where the jobs are if you haven't figured that out already. They are looking at the proximity to commercial/retail. They are looking at the economic demographics of the residents there (i.e. highly educated, income, occupation, wealth). They are looking at the quality of the school system. These are also "planned" cities where a lot of thought was put into road design, pedestrian capacity etc....

Greetings:

And they're looking to spend considerably less than 3 or 4 hours on the road coming and going to work just for the privilege of earning some coin. Heaven forbid they don't want to come home to a sh!thole far-out suburb or exurb after a day at the saltmine.

steppinthrax

Greetings:

And they're looking to spend considerably less than 3 or 4 hours on the road coming and going to work just for the privilege of earning some coin. Heaven forbid they don't want to come home to a sh!thole far-out suburb or exurb after a day at the saltmine.

A lot of people value their commute. In places like Bethesda, you can be at work via a bike ride and a subway.

officeguy

I see Largo has all those things.

Idiot.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Yeah sure. But what they get are extremely high confiscatory taxes, fees, etc., along with high crime, MS-13 gangs, along with woke school systems teaching tots that it's ok for a boy to suck another boy or to wear a dress with one-way 2 hour commutes and traffic congestion beyond what we know here in Southern Maryland.

I'd rather be poor cleaning porta potties while living in a house without heating and a leaky roof while homeschooling the kids rather than live in any of those places.

Auntie Biache'

If I may ...

I'd rather be poor cleaning porta potties ...

And that's really what it boils down to. What's important to an individual. Of course, us ignorant hillbilly's don't know what should be important, so s/he's going to tell us. For stepinanthrax, it's important to have more money, more property, cart the kids off to a school that will teach them how to be woke, and impress us ignorant hillbilly's. Well, it takes a lot to impress me, and stepinanthrax ain't got what it takes. S/he likes to assume we're all uneducated, backwards idiots, based on where, and how we choose to live.

steppinthrax

And that's really what it boils down to. What's important to an individual. Of course, us ignorant hillbilly's don't know what should be important, so s/he's going to tell us. For stepinanthrax, it's important to have more money, more property, cart the kids off to a school that will teach them how to be woke, and impress us ignorant hillbilly's. Well, it takes a lot to impress me, and stepinanthrax ain't got what it takes. S/he likes to assume we're all uneducated, backwards idiots, based on where, and how we choose to live.

Hmmm.

If you "think" you are "uneducated, backwards idiots" or "ignorant hillbilly's", I"m not making you feel that way. :killingme

I simply provided you a list of attributes pertaining to how these cities are possibly ranked.

Spitfire

Hmmm.

If you "think" you are "uneducated, backwards idiots" or "ignorant hillbilly's", I"m not making you feel that way. :killingme

I simply provided you a list of attributes pertaining to how these cities are possibly ranked.

Greetings:

They give away their projection every single time. LOL

steppinthrax

If I may ...

Yeah sure. But what they get are extremely high confiscatory taxes, fees, etc., along with high crime, MS-13 gangs, along with woke school systems teaching tots that it's ok for a boy to suck another boy or to wear a dress with one-way 2 hour commutes and traffic congestion beyond what we know here in Southern Maryland.

I'd rather be poor cleaning porta potties while living in a house without heating and a leaky roof while homeschooling the kids rather than live in any of those places.

Most of the people that work in those areas don't have a 2 hour commute. As a matter of fact they have less of a commute than those living the SoMD. Most of the high paying 100K+ jobs are going to be in DC, those that live in let's say Bethesda is going to be within close proximity to the metro system. I'm going to assume (considering how other's responded on their views on city areas), that you've never taken the metro on the daily. While it's not perfect, it's generally reliable, faster and immune to weather than driving to work.

Chris0nllyn

Why read the article? She's got anti-vaxx crap to look up.
To find these “hidden gems” in every state, GOBankingRates analyzed cities with a population between 10,000 and 75,000, according to data sourced from AreaVibes. If there were too few cities within the state that met this criterion, the population requirement was relaxed to include cities with a population of over 5,000. The study also looked at the median list price of homes within the area. States are listed in alphabetical order, with the five hidden gem cities in each state ranked in order of highest livability score. The livability score for each city is out of 100 and based on amenities, cost of living, crime, employment, housing, schools and weather. For states where multiple cities had the same livability score as the fifth hidden gem, all tied cities were included.