Doomsday Preppers

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
A show currently airing OTA on the Quest channel (9.3). They've been following a bunch of real preppers and some of the things they are doing in the event of a catastrophe. The amount of food they store, and the methods for protecting it are pretty inventive. One lady does the prepping behind her husband's back so he can't reveal where she's hidden the cache and how much. She also has 50 walkie-talkies and puts them in a Faraday cage in the basement so that she can distribute them to police/etc in the event of an EMP event. Another lady has a false ceiling over the bedroom and stuffs stuff up there.

And again, some of the things these folks do are just totally off the wall paranoia.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bitches be crazy.

Don't they think that by going on TV they tell all the zombies where the goods are so when the apocalypse comes they'll know where to hit?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's all paranoia until the #### hits the fan and somebody wants some of that stash of 3000 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese or the forty cases of Jack Link Jerky.

:whistle:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
if they were that paranoid they would not be advertising on TV

And Yes when Prepping OPSEC ..... you don't tell your friends, family or neighbors .... and you certainly keep your house looking low key abandon if the SHTF .... the Gov will confiscate your goods and charge you with hording sending you off to a FEMA Camp

black dog

Free America
They have nothing on the Mormons/LDS members, they are counseled to have at least a years worth of food on hand for their familys. The Church has food banks that sell to its members and others located in many cities...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
if they were that paranoid they would not be advertising on TV

And Yes when Prepping OPSEC ..... you don't tell your friends, family or neighbors .... and you certainly keep your house looking low key abandon if the SHTF .... the Gov will confiscate your goods and charge you with hording sending you off to a FEMA Camp
Sounds like one of the storylines in the “Home” series....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's all paranoia until the #### hits the fan and somebody wants some of that stash of 3000 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese or the forty cases of Jack Link Jerky.

:whistle:
One guy started growing grape and making wine because he figured it was a good barter item when currency failed.

What was a bit scary was one lady who was scared of avian bird flu and went to great lengths for flu and decontamination measures. This was back in 2013, but could have been filmed yesterday.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The one thing that really surprised me were the complaints of not having power, yet not one talked about alternative energy. No solar, no wind, no hydro....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Bitches be crazy.

Don't they think that by going on TV they tell all the zombies where the goods are so when the apocalypse comes they'll know where to hit?
I thought that thru the shows (about 5 back-to-back 1/2 hours shows). They go to great lengths to hide cache and be secretive, and then tell the world what they have and how its hidden.... :crazy:

gemma_rae

I have about a thirty day stash of canned vegetables, meat, beans, etc. and bottled water. It's more for the next Teamsters strike than Dooms Day, but could also work for the start of Covid-22.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Oh yeah... I forgot the best one..... there was a guy who was preparing for EMP, so he uses a metal garbage can as his Faraday cage. But it's never been tested, so he devises a plan: Puts all of his electronics in one, and uses car battery jumper cable to connect the handles on the can to a car battery. It hisses and sparks a bit, and when he opens the can the electronics still work... :lmfao: Yeah, no kidding they still work dumazz.....

SamSpade

I have to admit however, that being without something as simple as electricity could totally erase my ability to continue to live. Heat, cooling, water, refrigeration - and then there's the idea of whole regions out of power, meaning, exhausting supplies of food but for what is still in my house.

Worse, I think the day is coming in the not too distant future where I will be too old to fend for myself or my children - so hoping to get by on my wits will be of no value.

While I think they're a tad crazy - I admire anyone who is able to survive "off the grid".

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My philosophy is to be prepared for shortages and outages of up to a year. If it is a truly apocalyptic scenario and Mad Max rules, my plan is to remove myself from the equation. I've led a good full life, now physically failing, and really dont want to try to struggle to survive in that kind of world.

Kinnakeet

I have to admit however, that being without something as simple as electricity could totally erase my ability to continue to live. Heat, cooling, water, refrigeration - and then there's the idea of whole regions out of power, meaning, exhausting supplies of food but for what is still in my house.

Worse, I think the day is coming in the not too distant future where I will be too old to fend for myself or my children - so hoping to get by on my wits will be of no value.

While I think they're a tad crazy - I admire anyone who is able to survive "off the grid".
exhausting supplies of food but for what is still in my house.
Buy some fishing poles and some guns learn how to use them and you will never be without food

SamSpade

exhausting supplies of food but for what is still in my house.
Buy some fishing poles and some guns learn how to use them and you will never be without food
Well I was speculating on the idea of no electric for months on end.

In an apocalypse type situation - where everyone is out of power for months or more (since I always have a lot of food in the house) it's like hoarding TP - when everyone does it, it doesn't last long. There just ain't enough deer out there. Unless you plan to eat PEOPLE.

The only thing a gun will secure - unless you live in the wilderness - is that you can either successfully defend your supply or you may succeed in TAKING someone else's. Because very few places where people live have enough wild game to support the population.

I suppose that even at my age I might be able to find enough food to take care of myself - perhaps - but not for the family. Not unless I learn to eat vermin and insects.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I haven't bought chicken or beef since last November, and still have enough in the freezer for another 6 months minimum.

Also just realized I can "make" potable water, and quite a bit. The solar generator I built a while back is capable of running my dehumidifier. I'd need to 'time share' the generator with the fridge/freezer, but it's do-able. Filter the humidifier water and add a drop of chlorine and it's good to go. My Boy Scout med kit used to have some kind of tablet for purifying water... need to find that.

Because very few places where people live have enough wild game to support the population.
Same with fishing. We think we are in a rural area, but it will get very small, very close, very fast when everyone has the same idea.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:lol: I was just looking at my dry stash, just to see what might need to be updated. Found a big ol' package of mixed chocolate candy leftover from my camping trip last October, in a vacuum sealed bag. Wonder how many years it would still be good?

Kinnakeet

Well I was speculating on the idea of no electric for months on end.

In an apocalypse type situation - where everyone is out of power for months or more (since I always have a lot of food in the house) it's like hoarding TP - when everyone does it, it doesn't last long. There just ain't enough deer out there. Unless you plan to eat PEOPLE.

The only thing a gun will secure - unless you live in the wilderness - is that you can either successfully defend your supply or you may succeed in TAKING someone else's. Because very few places where people live have enough wild game to support the population.

I suppose that even at my age I might be able to find enough food to take care of myself - perhaps - but not for the family. Not unless I learn to eat vermin and insects.
There is plenty of animals lurking in the woods not just deer and plenty of edible plants and critters that dwell under rotting wood
I do not live in or near a city but that is my choice because I dislike the noise and people that reside there what I do like is seeing breakfast lunch and dinner in my yard be it feathered critters or ones that roam around on 4 legs but everyone has a choice

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My philosophy is to be prepared for shortages and outages of up to a year. If it is a truly apocalyptic scenario and Mad Max rules, my plan is to remove myself from the equation. I've led a good full life, now physically failing, and really dont want to try to struggle to survive in that kind of world.
More thinking.... may not have to worry about this, "survival of the fittest" rule will take it's toll. If it's a real apocalypse, there won't be any pharmacies providing the meds needed to survive. :dead: