Double Standard When It Comes To Crab Pots

3CATSAILOR

So, as I understand it, commerical crabbers who usually have hundreds of pots in the Bay do NOT have to have the large supposed turtle rings on their pots. BUT, the little guy who back in the day was allowed 4 pots off of his dock is now allowed just 2 (cut in half) from the 4 and that's if you can still catch crabs off of your dock.

But, you have to have the large rings on your pots. They don't. But you do. When I asked DNR why there seems to be a double standard, they said it is not a double standard. I am not sure how they were able to say it with a straight face. They claim it is to protect the turtles. In 50 years I have been crabbing, I have never seen turtles in any of my pots at my dock. However, it is not to say that perhaps some people might. But, if they did, I believe folks who have pots right at their property usually check it often and therefore would let any turtles out if it did somehow occur. People wouldn't want the turtles to eat the bait intended for crabs.

I doubt the commerical crabbers check their pots nearly as often as someone would right at their house.

DNR also told me the rings are not big enough to let legal sized crabs out. Just turtles could go in and out. Look closely at the ring and tell me what you think. I think legal sized crabs can get out. If a turle can, why not a good sized crab? I think this law is just another law Maryland has to step on homeowners rights and help the commierical watermen who likely lobbied the State legislators. Another case of caving to Special Interest Groups.

Of course our Watermen have every right to catch as many crabs as they can to support their livelihood. In particular when trying to catch crabs seems to be getting harder every year. But, how is this not a double standard? And if the turtle rings were so important, then why wasn't it done many years ago? The doiuble standard is not just obvious. It is blatant.

And now they say oh, by the way, the crabs have heavy metals in them. So, don't eat them. I don't think trying to scare people will work too well either.

Crab traps with turtle excluders attached are available at many retailers. Maryland DNR photo.

Crab traps with turtle excluders attached are available at many retailers. Maryland DNR photo.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Maryland’s blue crab season officially opens April 1 in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries and the Atlantic Ocean and coastal bays. With the opening of a new season comes an increased presence by Natural Resources Police (NRP) officers to educate the public and enforce laws pertaining to crabbing, particularly with recreational crabbers and owners of private shorelines.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You do know that turtles are air-breathers and without the rings in the pots they could drown.

edit: The turtle devices have been required since 1999.

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
There are diufferent rules for commercial watermen on a lot of fisheries. Flounder, striper, trout, etc all have smaller size limits for the commercial guys. These rules are closely monitored and adjusted as the fishery rises and ebbs. The commercial guys have expenses year around. If you really want to complain about the commercial fisheries read up on the VA rules regarding menhaden fishing in the bay.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
So, as I understand it, commerical crabbers who usually have hundreds of pots in the Bay do NOT have to have the large supposed turtle rings on their pots. BUT, the little guy who back in the day was allowed 4 pots off of his dock is now allowed just 2 (cut in half) from the 4 and that's if you can still catch crabs off of your dock.

But, you have to have the large rings on your pots. They don't. But you do. When I asked DNR why there seems to be a double standard, they said it is not a double standard. I am not sure how they were able to say it with a straight face. They claim it is to protect the turtles. In 50 years I have been crabbing, I have never seen turtles in any of my pots at my dock. However, it is not to say that perhaps some people might. But, if they did, I believe folks who have pots right at their property usually check it often and therefore would let any turtles out if it did somehow occur. People wouldn't want the turtles to eat the bait intended for crabs.

I doubt the commerical crabbers check their pots nearly as often as someone would right at their house.

DNR also told me the rings are not big enough to let legal sized crabs out. Just turtles could go in and out. Look closely at the ring and tell me what you think. I think legal sized crabs can get out. If a turle can, why not a good sized crab? I think this law is just another law Maryland has to step on homeowners rights and help the commierical watermen who likely lobbied the State legislators. Another case of caving to Special Interest Groups.

Of course our Watermen have every right to catch as many crabs as they can to support their livelihood. In particular when trying to catch crabs seems to be getting harder every year. But, how is this not a double standard? And if the turtle rings were so important, then why wasn't it done many years ago? The doiuble standard is not just obvious. It is blatant.

And now they say oh, by the way, the crabs have heavy metals in them. So, don't eat them. I don't think trying to scare people will work too well either.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Maryland’s blue crab season officially opens April 1 in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries and the Atlantic Ocean and coastal bays. With the opening of a new season comes an increased presence by Natural Resources Police (NRP) officers to educate the public and enforce laws pertaining to crabbing, particularly with recreational crabbers and owners of private shorelines.
Commecial crabbers are not allowed to put pots in creeks and inlets of the Bay. Their pots are in open water where Terrapins do not live. Residents on the other hand put the large majority of their pots in protected water where Terrapins live.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
There are diufferent rules for commercial watermen on a lot of fisheries. Flounder, striper, trout, etc all have smaller size limits for the commercial guys. These rules are closely monitored and adjusted as the fishery rises and ebbs. The commercial guys have expenses year around. If you really want to complain about the commercial fisheries read up on the VA rules regarding menhaden fishing in the bay.
Yeah, that’s the one that’s going to kill off all of the bay stocks. Pulling all of the feeders out of the bay and feeding them to the pigs.

3CATSAILOR

Perhaps so. But, it still sounds like a double standard.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That's a good point. I wonder why they are making a big deal about it recently.
New people moving in.
Just a reminder.

They do the same for hunting seasons. There'll likely be a reminder soon about what's legal in Spring Turkey season and what shot size has to be used.

3CATSAILOR

So, does anyone really believe the turtles won't go in the commerical pots just because they are in the Bay and are "called commerical pots"? If the turtles go in one pot, it seems to me that they wll go in any pot. With or without the turtle rings. - Seems like a double standard to me.

tipsymcgee

Maybe the law has changed, but I know at one point commercial pots had rings, although smaller round rings I believe.

Your statement that homeowners check their pots more often than commercial couldn't be more off. You are forgetting all the weekenders and people who leave them over and only check weekends, forget to pull them up, don't check due to work, vacation, bad weather, etc, etc. Commercial are checking after 2-3 days max, mostly daily in full season.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Maybe the law has changed, but I know at one point commercial pots had rings, although smaller round rings I believe.

Your statement that homeowners check their pots more often than commercial couldn't be more off. You are forgetting all the weekenders and people who leave them over and only check weekends, forget to pull them up, don't check due to work, vacation, bad weather, etc, etc. Commercial are checking after 2-3 days max, mostly daily in full season.
Yeah, that's the big difference.

3CATSAILOR

I know when I used to crab, I checked it daily. I know my neighbors did as well since I saw them on their dock doing the same thing. Folks that work usually check them when they get home. I know I did when I worked. I am not sure how often the commerical folks do. Probably closer to the 2 to 3 days like you said due to the cost of fuel.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
So, does anyone really believe the turtles won't go in the commerical pots just because they are in the Bay and are "called commerical pots"? If the turtles go in one pot, it seems to me that they wll go in any pot. With or without the turtle rings. - Seems like a double standard to me.
You didn't read my post, obviously