Dow tumbles 1,000 points as Russia, Ukraine tensions rise

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Apple, Tesla, Microsoft and Intel are set to report earnings this week

Selling of U.S. stocks picked up momentum midday on reports President Biden will hold a video call this afternoon with European leaders in response to Russia’s military buildup on Ukraine’s borders.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell over 1,000 points or 3%, while the S&P 500 lost 3.8% entering a correction, down 10% from its peak. The Nasdaq Composite fell deeper into its own correction off 4%.

"We are now dealing with legitimate risk in the market," said Jeff Sica, CIO of Circle Squared Alternative Investments.

Oil also fell to the $83 per barrel level.

Some economists believe the U.S. central bank needs to move faster to tamp down surging prices by raising rates. U.S. consumer prices rose 7% in December compared to a year earlier, the biggest increase in nearly four decades.

In crypto currencies, Bitcoin continued its slide to the $33,000 level.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So much for retirement.....

I feel like I should be able to close out my IRA and take all that money out without penalty. It's not right that people like me have been investing for our retirement, only to have ****ing Joe Biden come along and wipe us out.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

I feel like I should be able to close out my IRA and take all that money out without penalty. It's not right that people like me have been investing for our retirement, only to have ****ing Joe Biden come along and wipe us out.
I'm going to use it as a moment to buy in low and up my contributions.

It'll all come back.

... At least, so long as Joe doesn't get us into WWIII.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm going to use it as a moment to buy in low and up my contributions.

It'll all come back.

I feel like I should be able to close out my IRA and take all that money out without penalty.
I'm not too worried about my IRA at the moment. No doubt, going to take a big hit, but it will recover. There really is no alternative but to leave it alone. If you take money out, you not only get taxed on it, but you probably get bumped a tax bracket or two for even more penalties.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Joe is going to get us into WWIII. He has no alternative to save his "presidency" and history shows us that that's what these effers do to up their approval rating and introduce more opportunities for graft and corruption.

WingsOfGold

Joe is going to get us into WWIII. He has no alternative to save his "presidency" and history shows us that that's what these effers do to up their approval rating and introduce more opportunities for graft and corruption.
Damn shame crackhead Hunters ass was thrown out after 2 weeks.

BOP

Selling of U.S. stocks picked up momentum midday on reports President Biden will hold a video call this afternoon with European leaders in response to Russia’s military buildup on Ukraine’s borders.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell over 1,000 points or 3%, while the S&P 500 lost 3.8% entering a correction, down 10% from its peak. The Nasdaq Composite fell deeper into its own correction off 4%.

"We are now dealing with legitimate risk in the market," said Jeff Sica, CIO of Circle Squared Alternative Investments.

Some economists believe the U.S. central bank needs to move faster to tamp down surging prices by raising rates. U.S. consumer prices rose 7% in December compared to a year earlier, the biggest increase in nearly four decades.

After Biden* sells, all the European leaders shouting into their phones "Sell! Sell! Gdamn you, sell!"

PeoplesElbow

You should be able to put it into a nonstock fund if you wish, bond, cash, short term bonds etc.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You should be able to put it into a nonstock fund if you wish, bond, cash, short term bonds etc.
That true, and I always forget that. My IRA has a 'slush fund' of cash. When things look bad, my accountant sells off stock and moves it to the cash fund. The market has no effect on it while it's there.

glhs837

Power with Control

Crabcake42

No update Kyle?

Dow closed up 99 pts.

Always with the hysteria and fear

PeoplesElbow

I'll have to call and find out what my options are. Grrr......
A mixed income and equity fund usually weathers bear markets fairly well, but the growth side is smaller.

My mom has had money in an income fund since 2005 and it has tripled. Not bad for a low risk fund.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A mixed income and equity fund usually weathers bear markets fairly well, but the growth side is smaller.

I have that already. I just want to pull it because I don't trust it under Biden. In a Democrat economy with war on the horizon there are better investments.

HemiHauler

And after all that, markets closed higher today. But recent sell-offs have more to do with the Fed promising to cut off the juice and tighten monetary policy, not Ukraine.

I always view these 'corrections' as the richy-rich cashing in high then buying back low to pad their investments. It usually appears planned and is over before the average Joe can react.