Dr. Seuss, just the tip of the iceberg...

SamSpade

Oh they are never going to cancel awkward sterotypical depictions of groups they despise. Hence, any characterization of hillbillies and rednecks or religious people or gun owners - all of that is free to use at will.

And this is because of what I said before - this has NOTHING TO DO WHATSOEVER with trying to correct our culture and be fair and kind to all groups - this is power and control. The only way some groups will get any kind of consequence is if they're part of a smaller group that can claim victimhood - say, a German being depicted as a Nazi, or an Italian as a wine and pasta swilling goober.

Bear in mind that on our nation's editorial pages, Asians are often slant-eyed lunatics - especially if they're North Koreans - and Arabs are often depicted as bomb-throwing gun-toting terrorists in full Arab garb. THAT won't change.

What I find peculiar is a picture in a Dr Seuss book of an Asian man in a kuli hat holding chopsticks - and THAT is "racist" - but I can Google that depiction of Asians IN REAL LIFE, and that's ok. I mean, if someone were to depict a person from West Virginia as unshaven, in a wife-beater and swilling a beer - maybe it's rude - but it's not odd.

mitzi

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The study then explores not just Seuss’s early work, but also his children’s books, through the lens of the controversial “Critical Race Theory,” which suggests that literature be examined with an eye to its alleged inherent racism and connection to issues of racial justice. The specific study examined “fifty of fifty-nine” Dr. Seuss works, analyzing issues such as how many times white characters appeared as opposed to characters of color, which characters are put into positions of hierarchy, whether characters of color are dehumanized or made to seem “exotic,” whether the book embraces racial stereotypes or caricatures, and whether Seuss’s works specifically exhibited racism, sexism, and white supremacy.

Perhaps it is not surprising that the authors, intent on finding problematic issues, discovered problems with the vast majority of Dr. Seuss books and nearly every Dr. Seuss character. Most of the characters Dr. Seuss uses are not human, but of those that are, just 2% are characters of color, the study found. And all of those are deemed problematic.

“Of the forty-five characters of color, forty-three are identified as having characteristics aligning with the definition of Orientalism. Within the Orientalist definition, fourteen people are identified by stereotypical East Asian characteristics and twenty-nine characters are wearing turbans,” the study’s authors say. “Only two of the forty-five characters are identified in the text as ‘African’ and both align with the theme of anti-Blackness. White supremacy is seen through the centering of Whiteness and White characters, who comprise 98% (2,195 characters) of all characters. Notably, every character of color is male. Males of color are only presented in subservient, exotified, or dehumanized roles.”

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Instead of calling it "election day" from now on I'm going to refer to it as "insufferable douche-bags day!"

herb749

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Dr. Seuss' Books Gained Popularity After They Were Removed

Voluntarily ceasing to publish titles is not censorship, to be sure. No threat of government action prompted Dr. Seuss Enterprises' decision—just a grim consultation "with a panel of experts, including educators." But rather than rid the world of offensive books, the decision effectively ginned up interest in these obscure, forgotten works.

The Associated Press reported that in the week after the announcement that And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, McElligot's Pool, On Beyond Zebra!, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat's Quizzer were being pulled, Dr. Seuss titles racked up 1.2 million in copies sold and accounted for "virtually every book in the top 20 on Amazon's bestseller list." Major public library systems removed the books, and online retailers such as eBay banned the selling of used copies, whose prices skyrocketed into the hundreds of dollars for items that had been collecting dust. According to The New York Times, only And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street had sold enough copies in the years prior to scrape the lower reaches of BookScan's annual point-of-sale tallies.

Now, all the titles remain easy to find for sale online—on Amazon and elsewhere. First editions still command premium prices while foreign and revised editions are resold at prices comparable to other similar, used titles. All are available to view and download as PDFs at various free websites too.

Reactions: BOP