Dragonflies

luvmygdaughters

I have never seen so many dragonflies as I have this summer. They are everywhere, but, I haven't been bothered with mosquitoes as bad. Anybody else notice this?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I have seen more this year than in the past few. There are many farms in my area and I know they spray a lot of pesticides. I have seen a decline in dragon flies and honey bees since we moved to this property 5 years ago.
Fortunately for the pollinators, I have invested a lot in native plants and native perennial flowers, along with annual flowers and the bees, flutterbys, etc are in abundance. I will continue to make my 2 acres friendly to all that I can help!
As a side note, all my enthusiasm to improve the property has me on three weeks of antibiotics. When working the soil and installing flats with 200 plants, I picked up two ticks on my back that I didn't catch and got a swollen and itchy rash. Don't want Lyme so paying the price.
Won't even stop me from the things that bring me pleasure- gardening, improving the property and splitting wood! But I will pay better attn to the places on my body I don't often see!!

NextJen

Raisin cane
Just saw this info. posted on FB by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Wildlife and Heritage Service

Have you been seeing an abundance of dragonflies lately? We have so we thought we would share some info with you.

The larvae of dragonflies are aquatic and often inhabit seeps and small streams. They are vulnerable to siltation, chemical runoff (such as pesticides) and changes in hydrology during this life stage. A large portion of the number of species of odonates (dragonflies and damselflies) are considered rare in Maryland. They are important in wetland and aquatic ecosystems, both as predators (adults feed on many times their body weight in mosquitoes, gnats, midges and other insects) and prey (the aquatic larvae are important prey for amphibians and fish).

luvmygdaughters

I have seen more this year than in the past few. There are many farms in my area and I know they spray a lot of pesticides. I have seen a decline in dragon flies and honey bees since we moved to this property 5 years ago.
Fortunately for the pollinators, I have invested a lot in native plants and native perennial flowers, along with annual flowers and the bees, flutterbys, etc are in abundance. I will continue to make my 2 acres friendly to all that I can help!
As a side note, all my enthusiasm to improve the property has me on three weeks of antibiotics. When working the soil and installing flats with 200 plants, I picked up two ticks on my back that I didn't catch and got a swollen and itchy rash. Don't want Lyme so paying the price.
Won't even stop me from the things that bring me pleasure- gardening, improving the property and splitting wood! But I will pay better attn to the places on my body I don't often see!!
Damn!! Good work keeping your place friendly, but, watch those damn ticks. Hope you feel better!!:poorbaby:

glhs837

Power with Control
Been a constat state of flying warfare around our place, but we have also noticed that around the house, very few bugs, these guys are amazing. Since we have a couple of small streams (one constant, one only when really wet, and we are above any farming runoff they have amazing breeding grounds and it shows.