"Draw Attention" Mission Accomplished... Check!

seekeroftruth

Mark 11:1 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples, 2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 3 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ say, ‘The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.’”
4 They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, 5 some people standing there asked, “What are you doing, untying that colt?” 6 They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go. 7 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,
“Hosanna!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
10 “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.
This morning I decided it was time for me to consult someone "ordained" who would know the why and what about these verses. I learned some interesting facts about the location of the Mount of Olives. I also learned some things about the rituals of the day.... cutting bows to lay under the feet of the animal. I was taught in Sunday School that Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey because that's what kings would have ridden. Actually, I read this morning, Jesus chose a donkey as a sign of peace. If He was to be a conquering king, tradition would dictate that He ride a horse. Donkeys are peaceful, horses ride into battle.

My name is Becky. My great aunt had a donkey.... named Becky. A donkey only willingly goes where a donkey wants to go. It's this Becky's opinion that Jesus chose a donkey because He wanted to make a statement. "I come in peace" and "even the donkeys know I am King". It takes a lot of patience to make a donkey behave so well. Then again, this was Jesus, He could calm the waves and the winds. A donkey would be happy to be ridden by Jesus.

Rome could not allow Jesus to arrive like a "conquering hero" on a wonderful horse. They would have swarmed him.

He walked about 20 miles to get there. He could have walked right into Jerusalem. He chose to enter mounted, as the king. Those who loved Him, recognized Him and they are the ones who would throw down the bows ahead of Him and His little donkey.

Jesus had a Mission. He was there to conquer death. He was there to get on the cross. He had to "draw attention". Drawing crowds is one thing, but "drawing attention" is a donkey of a different color. If Jesus walked through the gates, He would have just presented as a commoner. He would have presented as a pilgrim, like so many Jews who travel to Jerusalem for Passover. Jesus wasn't a pilgrim. Jesus was on a Mission. Jesus had to "draw attention".

There is a lot of talk about how all the Gospels do not say exactly the same thing. Mark, known as John Mark in the Book of Acts, was a teen when all this happened. He was probably 15-16 years old. He was NOT one of the twelve. He would NOT have been a "chosen" eyewitness. He is reporting what he was told. He probably heard the same story over and over and over again.

Matthew was one of the twelve. Matthew was also a tax collector [government employee]. Matthew wrote almost the same thing about this adventure. Mark is only telling what he was told. So, when someone tells you "Even the Gospels don't agree" you can agree. Some were of firsthand knowledge, and some were recording history as it was told to them. If they told us all the same stories in the same words.... would we believe them at all?

Jesus "drew attention" when He entered Jerusalem on that donkey.

"Draw Attention" Mission Accomplished... Check!

:coffee: