Drive for show...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
and chip and putt for crap.:lmao: The story of my golf game goes a lot like this. I had 4 or 5 drives of 300 + yds over the past week and only broke 100 once. I was struggling with my chipping and my putting was/is markedly improved over last year but playing on shaggy bermuda greens was my undoing. Well that and the occasional splashdown of a Top-Flite hitting the water at Mach 2.

thurley42

HY;FR
have you ever played Patuxent Greens in Laurel?

have a meeting in that area on Thursday and we are thinking of making it an offsite

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Try this...

and chip and putt for crap.:lmao: The story of my golf game goes a lot like this. I had 4 or 5 drives of 300 + yds over the past week and only broke 100 once. I was struggling with my chipping and my putting was/is markedly improved over last year but playing on shaggy bermuda greens was my undoing. Well that and the occasional splashdown of a Top-Flite hitting the water at Mach 2.

...on for size;

If you shoot regulation par on a standard par 72, 10 par 4's, 4 par 5's, 4 par 3's)

You take 14 driver swings on par 4's and 5 par t shots.

You take 22 full swings with an iron (10 p4 approaches, 4 second shots on
p5, 4 approaches on p5's plus 4 par 3 t shots.)

And 36 putts.

So, when you go to the range, what do you work on most?

If you shoot 100 or less, which is actually a bit better than average for men, then you're probably missing 1/2 the fairways and 1/2 the greens. You're hitting a few bunkers. Depending on the course and how open it is, that means you're adding at least 18 swings. 72 plus 18 is 90.

Most people putt half decent, averaging about 36 putts a round or so. We hacks make a few up and downs and a few 3 jacks, but 36 or better is pretty common.

That means there's another 10 swings missing. If a few are tops and skulls or fatties, then there's some more chips and pitches in there.

So, the 18 swings that follow a missed green or fairway are probably 50/50 full swings/pitches or chips.

That means;

14 driver t shots
34 or so full iron shots
16 or so pitches or chips
36 putts

So, what to work on; irons and short game, right? :buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
...on for size;

If you shoot regulation par on a standard par 72, 10 par 4's, 4 par 5's, 4 par 3's)

You take 14 driver swings on par 4's and 5 par t shots.

You take 22 full swings with an iron (10 p4 approaches, 4 second shots on
p5, 4 approaches on p5's plus 4 par 3 t shots.)

And 36 putts.

So, when you go to the range, what do you work on most?

If you shoot 100 or less, which is actually a bit better than average for men, then you're probably missing 1/2 the fairways and 1/2 the greens. You're hitting a few bunkers. Depending on the course and how open it is, that means you're adding at least 18 swings. 72 plus 18 is 90.

Most people putt half decent, averaging about 36 putts a round or so. We hacks make a few up and downs and a few 3 jacks, but 36 or better is pretty common.

That means there's another 10 swings missing. If a few are tops and skulls or fatties, then there's some more chips and pitches in there.

So, the 18 swings that follow a missed green or fairway are probably 50/50 full swings/pitches or chips.

That means;

14 driver t shots
34 or so full iron shots
16 or so pitches or chips
36 putts

So, what to work on; irons and short game, right? :buddies:

you know it....my weak area is my approach shot. I don't have any real issues with my drives or putts (for now) but my 2nd shots are landing around the green instead of on the green...which then births a whole nother beast...what side of the green did you miss, are you on the short side or long side, up hill or down hill how fast are the greens etc etc. 6 iron - LW are what I have been working on the most...or need to work on rather.

kom526

I decelerate on my chips, and pitches... on the course. I'm pretty handy when I'm out in the yard, but fear of a good skulling causes me to whoa it down A LOT. Granted I only play 10 to 12 rounds a year so I guess I really can't complain too much. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I Hate...

I decelerate on my chips, and pitches... on the course. I'm pretty handy when I'm out in the yard, but fear of a good skulling causes me to whoa it down A LOT. Granted I only play 10 to 12 rounds a year so I guess I really can't complain too much. :shrug:

...that!

When you're in the yard, put pressure on yourself; This chip has to do this and that and be a decent shot or I have to do X. (something reasonably horrible LOL)

And only give yourself one shot at it. Totally change the next one. Different target, different distance. Do this for 5 or 10 or so. See how many you pulled off, then go back and try one you flubbed and do it several times with no pressure, then do it again for real, with your personal bet.

Decel is a killer. :banghead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

you know it....my weak area is my approach shot. I don't have any real issues with my drives or putts (for now) but my 2nd shots are landing around the green instead of on the green...which then births a whole nother beast...what side of the green did you miss, are you on the short side or long side, up hill or down hill how fast are the greens etc etc. 6 iron - LW are what I have been working on the most...or need to work on rather.

...sounds like you fit right in with us hacks. :buddies:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Its boring when you make it to the green in regulation. I play golf to have fun..and I have alot of fun.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good

Curiosity....How are you missing the greens? You fade to much? Draw?Snap hook? Hitting it thin? Fat? Are your misses consistent?

thurley42

HY;FR
Curiosity....How are you missing the greens? You fade to much? Draw?Snap hook? Hitting it thin? Fat? Are your misses consistent?

nope...all over. Its because I taught myself to play golf when i was 14 or 15..i have a baseball grip, swing, the whole 9 yards...

i played up the road thursday, did better shot an 84. it was the first time playing the course it was a fairly easy course and i went to the range to work on my rhythm before hand.

I snapped my 7 iron way up in the grip...so now i have to get that reshafted...fun stuff.

kom526

I've been pulling my mid irons here lately so to compensate I've been aiming more to the right. Well you know what happens then, a straight perfect shot that looks like something you'd see during a final round on Sunday.:doh::lmao:

I'm going to play in my first tournament later on this month so I guess I better figure out the problem.

thurley42

HY;FR
i've started to draw my ball when I get tired. towards the end of a round, or the end of my 3rd bucket yesterday I have been rolling my hands over when i get tired. I don't know if i should just hit a lot of balls more often or what...

The only tourneys I play in are best ball ones..and I make sure that I am the lousy golfer on the team...

kom526

My normal ball flight is usually a nice draw but this is just short of a hook. My BIL (he's a 9) was telling me that I was coming in too steep, but I don't make swing changes in the middle of a round. I'm going to work on it this weekend at the range before a round of 18.