Drivers ed?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The entrance to a WaWa is an entirely different lane from the turning lanes. If you are sliding over lanes while going through the intersection you are in fact the idiot following the design of the road and should be blaming the architects, not the poor people who have to drive the mess they created.

DaSDGuy

I got my license in a location that had numerous hills. The parallel parking test was to back into the spot facing uphill on a 30 degree angle hill. Then go up the hill, turn around and go down until you could parallel park on the other side of the rode. This time you must back up into the spot. Just for fun Dad made me use the car with the manual transmission.

Clem72

People northbound are remaining in their lane, people on southbound turning left need to change lanes to enter the wawa. You have as much a responsibility to make sure a lane is clear before changing lanes as someone else does to "yield" to lane changers. It's a messed up intersection, but if there were an accident I guarantee the left turner would be at fault regardless of the light because the accident would take place after the intersection and would be a case of the left turner merging into an occupied lane.

Attachments

• Google Maps.jpg
    Google Maps.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 77

OccamsRazor

People northbound are remaining in their lane, people on southbound turning left need to change lanes to enter the wawa. You have as much a responsibility to make sure a lane is clear before changing lanes as someone else does to "yield" to lane changers. It's a messed up intersection, but if there were an accident I guarantee the left turner would be at fault regardless of the light because the accident would take place after the intersection and would be a case of the left turner merging into an occupied lane.
The yield sign for those wishing to turn from St Andrew's Church Road onto SB235 (under the tree in your picture right next to the "RD" in St Andrews Church Rd) means they are supposed to YIELD to any traffic on that roadway before entering. This includes those continuing on SB 235, those turning left onto SB235 from Rte 4, even those that make a U-turn from NB235 to SB235 at the intersection. It's not debatable. It's why there is a Yield sign there.
Also, your case study is incorrect. The person turning LEFT has the right of way due to the Yield sign posted. The person turning right and not stopping for the left turn would be ticketed for "Failure to Yield to oncoming traffic."

Last edited:

Tech

The same one that teaches cutting off the on coming lanes when making a left and getting in the right turn lane a half mile for your turn. The new one, second car follows you making a U-turn and cutting you off as you complete the turn.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If it had been me approving that WaWa, I would have required the entrances and exits to be on Worth Ave like Lowes, Michaels, etc.... and then fix that fuster cluck of an intersection where Worth meets First Colony.

WaWa is great for putting their stores on the worst intersections with the worst entrances. Every one of them. Sheetz isn't any better.

Clem72

Also, your case study is incorrect. The person turning LEFT has the right of way due to the Yield sign posted. The person turning right and not stopping for the left turn would be ticketed for "Failure to Yield to oncoming traffic."

That yield sign is intended for those who pull out and immediately try to merge into the other three lanes of traffic. And even if it were applicable for the far right lane, the existence of a yield sign does not absolve traffic in the other lanes from their responsibility to make sure the lane is clear before merging.

Hell, even if you are just driving straight and someone pulls out directly in front of you and you hit them you can still be found to be at fault if it's determined there was reasonable time/space to take action to avoid a collision. You always have a responsibility to make sure you do not drive your car into an obsacle, regardless of what a light or sign may say.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That yield sign is intended for those who pull out and immediately try to merge into the other three lanes of traffic. And even if it were applicable for the far right lane, the existence of a yield sign does not absolve traffic in the other lanes from their responsibility to make sure the lane is clear before merging.
The yield sign indicates the "preferential right of way" for that intersection, per Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-403.
(d) Approaching intersection marked by yield sign. -- If a "yield" sign facing the driver of a vehicle is placed on the approach to an intersection, the driver shall:
(1) Approach the intersection with caution;
(2) Yield the right-of-way to any other vehicle approaching on the other highway; and
(3) If necessary, stop in order to yield this right-of-way.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I still drive like Mr. Ashley, our high school's driving instructor, is still in the passenger seat.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I still drive like Stuntman Mike is behind the wheel.
I also have the bad habits of following the speed limit, obeying yellow lights, yield & stop signs, also signaling lane changes and turns, for which I slow down to match the limit on the side street. I also plan my turns well in advance. 😸

black dog

Free America
Roundabouts, all Indiana drivers believe no matter what exit they are taking you are to drive around on the outside lane.
The inner two lanes are just for looks.

black dog

Free America
I also have the bad habits of following the speed limit, obeying yellow lights, yield & stop signs, also signaling lane changes and turns, for which I slow down to match the limit on the side street. I also plan my turns well in advance. 😸
Do you at least do it in the right lane?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Do you at least do it in the right lane?
If I am taking a right turn, or if I am on an interstate where the right lane is the traveling lane, rather than the passing lane.
County or state roads, which do not have designated lanes, will travel where it is most convenient for the turn I need.

limblips

PREMO Member
The entrance to a WaWa is an entirely different lane from the turning lanes. If you are sliding over lanes while going through the intersection you are in fact the idiot.
So WTF is the Yield sign there if N bound Rt4 has the RoW?

limblips

PREMO Member
Note where the solid white line ends. And at NO time does someone with a yield sign have the RoW over traffic (hence the word YIELD). A YIELD requires you to YIELD to all traffic. Idiot......

Last edited: