Driveway is sinking into the earth, don't know who to call.

Are your gutters emptying along side the garage? Water is probably flowing underneath and eroding. Get the water away from the house immediately, even if you have to put ugly extensions on them for now.

I speak from experience. Same thing happened to me. Once I redirected to gutter flow, it stopped undermining. But I need a new driveway now.

C

czygvtwkr

I would call one of the foundation repair people.

It is a real shame how these fast put up cookie cutter houses are built. I am replacing the windows in my 35 year old house and the window guy told me that he is replacing windows on phase 1 of a development while they are still building phase 2. You would think the replacement window truck sitting in phase I would keep phase II from selling.

glhs837

Power with Control
One reason why I pushed real hard to NOT buy a house done in a subdivision. Anyone who thinks quality really is job one when there are 30-50 houses going up is sadly mistaken. Hell, I'l take anyone on a tour of any model home in the county and point out tons of crap. A few months back we toured about 3-4 model homes for design ideas and I was appareled at what I saw. Trim that looked like it was cut by drunks, nailed up by someone on serious doses of Prozac, and painted by the three stooges. Drywall finish, bead and seams for crap, pops. Not to mention the "builder grade" fixtures that are all shine, no substance.

I love my house built in 86 by a local guy, one of five on the street, built to order for the first owner. Not perfect, but where it isnt right, it's easy.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
One reason why I pushed real hard to NOT buy a house done in a subdivision. Anyone who thinks quality really is job one when there are 30-50 houses going up is sadly mistaken. Hell, I'l take anyone on a tour of any model home in the county and point out tons of crap. A few months back we toured about 3-4 model homes for design ideas and I was appareled at what I saw. Trim that looked like it was cut by drunks, nailed up by someone on serious doses of Prozac, and painted by the three stooges. Drywall finish, bead and seams for crap, pops. Not to mention the "builder grade" fixtures that are all shine, no substance.

I love my house built in 86 by a local guy, one of five on the street, built to order for the first owner. Not perfect, but where it isnt right, it's easy.
Imagine what they would have thought if you were unappareled while touring. :biggrin:

glhs837

Power with Control
Imagine what they would have thought if you were unappareled while touring. :biggrin:

No more shocked than I was to see what passed for good work in the house that was supposed to be the best they could do, since it's meant to be the selling tool. Another aspect of "modern" houses is the use of spaces that look cool visually, but dont function worth a crap as spaces for living.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
No plastic (Tyvek) under the siding - Isn't that supposed to be part of CODE????? It'd ask county about that, then get builder to fix that too~!!!!! So who was this wonderful builder?

GregV814

I have a Howlin house...there was NO underlayment beneath the shingles and the shingles were of a "west coast" style and fell apart after about 5 years. The contractor found:
1) some sheathing with 8 nails only
2) no clips holding the sheathing together
3) windows with 2 nails only under the trim....

Eddie saved a few bucks I guess.

somdwatch

So my house was built in 2009 I believe, and they must have cut every corner possible. No plastic (Tyvek) under the siding, doorways out of skew, etc.

Well, my latest headache is that my driveway is sinking where it connects to the garage. It has dropped about 5-6 inches and is cracking. I think all of the earth underneath it has been washed away.

I need someone (a general contractor maybe?) to cut the top portion of my driveway off, fix the ground properly, and poor a new driveway. I also need someone who can help me assess structural issues, as there is cracking all around the posts in the front of the garage (part of the house is above the garage). My concern is that if the earth under the actual garage has washed away as well, then there maybe nothing supporting the house.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I worked for a builder in Cedar Cove back in 04. Talk about shoddy work! Don't live there do you. Not sure when they finished the back end of that project.

BigDogT

No plastic (Tyvek) under the siding - Isn't that supposed to be part of CODE????? It'd ask county about that, then get builder to fix that too~!!!!! So who was this wonderful builder?
Tyvek is not code but is used by a lot of builders for temp waterproofing of the structure so the inside can move along without having the siding on first. There are a lot of things in home construction that people think are "code" but are, in fac, not part of the written code. Building code around here primarily addresses safety. Things like "waterproofing" basements are not even code....they have to be "damp-proofed" which isn't the same thing.....FWIW

bilbur

So my house was built in 2009 I believe, and they must have cut every corner possible. No plastic (Tyvek) under the siding, doorways out of skew, etc.

Well, my latest headache is that my driveway is sinking where it connects to the garage. It has dropped about 5-6 inches and is cracking. I think all of the earth underneath it has been washed away.

I need someone (a general contractor maybe?) to cut the top portion of my driveway off, fix the ground properly, and poor a new driveway. I also need someone who can help me assess structural issues, as there is cracking all around the posts in the front of the garage (part of the house is above the garage). My concern is that if the earth under the actual garage has washed away as well, then there maybe nothing supporting the house.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This happened to a friend of mine. Basically what the builder did was build the garage and the concrete driveway on fill dirt that was not packed properly and had not been allowed to settle. She now has cracks in the walls of the garage and the driveway plus the driveway looks like it is separating from the garage and there is a large gap between the two. This is what happens when contractors are more worried about rushing through 1 job so they can get to the next. I think the builders that cut corners should be ashamed of them selves and they are no better than crooks.

Same thing happened to me during Hurricane Sandy. HOuse was finished in August, walked outside the day after sandy and the driveway had sunk near the garage. Builder was reluctant to do anything. Try A+ paving. They fixed it for me. There was sinking all around the house also, which the builder fixed some of, but not to my liking. My husband ended up fixing it the way it should have been.

officeguy

You are 5 years out from construction. A driveway starting to sink now is more likely due to a current drainage problem than a problem related to poor compaction at the time of construction.

Did your home builder offer a home-warranty ? The limit on 'structural defects' is 5 years, dig in your paperwork, you may be running up against a filing time limit. Otoh, 'driveways and walkways' are excluded from the scope of home warranties, so it may not do you any good.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just out of curiosity, who was your builder?

almost 24 hours, and two requests, and we don't know who this builder is.

Had a home built by a local builder of good repute. Friends came to visit and were impressed by the workmanship, that the materials used were above "standard" and most of the house was hand built (not just pre-fab).
There were a couple of "settling" issues, but nothing serious (or even major) and it took several years.