Driving on Andrews - Cell/Text Use

Rommey

Email I received the other day about texting or using a cell while driving on base:

11/26/2013 - JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. -- Members of the 11th Security Forces Squadron will be cracking down on distracted drivers, effective immediately. The 11th SFS will be issuing immediate suspension of base driving privileges to offenders it has cited for distracted driving; talking or texting on a cell phone, wearing headphones or utilizing any electronic device... that would distract the driver from operating their motor vehicle safely.

Drivers who are cited will be issued a DD Form 1408 for their violation, referenced in AFI 31-218 Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision. There will be an immediate 30 day suspension of driving privileges, starting from the date the letter was issued. If the operator is cited for distracted driving within a year of the original citation, an additional 90 day suspension will be issued. Per normal procedure, individuals can request restricted privileges, reinstatement, or a hearing to vacate the suspension.

Upon issue of the citation, patrolmen will annotate that an immediate suspension was issued for distracted driving. No points will be assessed against any operator if they receive a suspension letter, for their on base driving privileges. The operator will not be allowed to drive their vehicle after the suspension has been issued. If the operator gives permission for the patrolmen to move their vehicle the patrolmen will do as such. If the operator refuses, they will have to have the vehicle towed at their own expense.

Members of the 11th SFS will follow the same procedures for civilians, contractors or any other personnel that receive a citation. Operators will still have to pay a fine or appear in court for the Maryland traffic offense.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
I wish they would do that at Pax River, tired of seeing all these people who think the regulations don't apply to them driving around talking on their cellphones.

I wish they would also issue tickets to those who drive in the bike lanes, they are not passing lanes or extra road for one to use to take a turn faster then what the posted speed limit is.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
I wish they would do that at Pax River, tired of seeing all these people who think the regulations don't apply to them driving around talking on their cellphones.

I wish they would also issue tickets to those who drive in the bike lanes, they are not passing lanes or extra road to use when you take a turn too fast.

I'd like to see them ticket the bike idiots when they don't stay in the bike lane.

Caution

I wish they would also issue tickets to those who drive in the bike lanes, they are not passing lanes or extra road for one to use to take a turn faster then what the posted speed limit is.

My boss used to drive in to work and while coming through the gate would be talking on his cell phone, trying to drive, fumbling for his ID and eating a BOWL of cereal. I can't tell you how many times he got to work and came running into the bldg. looking for paper towels because he spilled his cereal again. And I would be sitting there thinking. "And I work for this guy????"

Rommey

The SP's were out in full force today on Andrews. Even were stopping traffic for ID checks (something I had never seen before in all the years I have been working on Andrews). Wife asked what they were doing and I surmised they were checking for cell phone usage.