Dry Itchy Skin

mizteresa1965

My Mini Schnauzer has extremely dry itchy skin. I give him olive oil in his food 2 - 3 times a week which has seemed to help, until the fleas started showing up. The vet gave me Frontline, knowing his skin condition. I was hesitant, but used it, now his skin is worse. Much worse! Dry, flaking and visibly red and places. Without going back to the vet and paying another $75 for an office visit, can I give him Benedryl liquid? If so, does anyone know the safe amount for a 13 dog?

dgates80

Land of the lost
We give our dogs salmon oil, seems to help. A lot of dogs (and cats) are itchy right now with the high humidity though.

Roman

You might want to take dgate's advice, and switch to Salmon Oil. I give my pup the very same thing, because she too, was an itcher. Boston Terriers are known for Skin Issues. I give it to her every day, and she seems to be doing quite well with it. I've seen it at PetCo, and am sure you can get it just about anywhere. BUT..I get mine from Pepper's Pet Pantry in Solomons. I know that they have the best stuff, and it's fresh. As far as the Benedryl is concerned..that might make your Dog dopey. You should call the Vet for the proper Doseage, and tell them that she/he is worse! She might be allergic to the Front-Line too. You might want to check her for Fleas too. I saw a few on Meat Ball, even though I put the stuff on a few days before it's due, she did have Fleas. Our Vet said that he wanted to switch her to another product, because he thought her fleas were now immune to Front-Line. I have used that product since it came out many years ago. Good luck with your Pup.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I give my dog children's benadryl for her allergies (on the recommendation from a vet). The vets say :nono: to the adult version of benadryl though because it contains other ingredients that could be harmful to your pet. So keep that in mind. Dosage recommendation is 1 mL per pound - I have a little squirt syringe like for babies that I use to get the dosage correct and mix it with her dog food. I have tried squirting it down her throat, but that always becomes a huge sticky mess. Oh and I don't dose the full amount unless she's had shots/vaccines, She can become too lethargic.

mizteresa1965

Thanks all for the advice! I'll try both the Salmon Oil and the Childrens Benedryl. As far as Mr. B being lethargic......he's too hyper so all it will do it make him normal. :)

Roman

Thanks all for the advice! I'll try both the Salmon Oil and the Childrens Benedryl. As far as Mr. B being lethargic......he's too hyper so all it will do it make him normal. :)

In some people, Benedryl makes them hyper!! Just wanted to let you know that. I wonder if he has what they call Hot Spots? Did you know that you can take your Pup to the St Mary's Well Pet Clinic for much cheaper? They say that they only see Well Pets, but the skin issue he's having, they will see him for that. A Friend of mine took her Chi to them for the same thing a few years back. I've taken my animals to Well Pet Clinic for minor issues too. The Office Visit was only $10.00!

mizteresa1965

In some people, Benedryl makes them hyper!! Just wanted to let you know that. I wonder if he has what they call Hot Spots? Did you know that you can take your Pup to the St Mary's Well Pet Clinic for much cheaper? They say that they only see Well Pets, but the skin issue he's having, they will see him for that. A Friend of mine took her Chi to them for the same thing a few years back. I've taken my animals to Well Pet Clinic for minor issues too. The Office Visit was only $10.00!

No, it's not hot spots, I've delt with them before with my Chows Chows, this is totally different.

But, where's the Well Pet Clinic? I've never heard of them before. I'll leave my vet nameless because I'm not very happy with her.

Roman

No, it's not hot spots, I've delt with them before with my Chows Chows, this is totally different.

But, where's the Well Pet Clinic? I've never heard of them before. I'll leave my vet nameless because I'm not very happy with her.
There is one in StMary's, that is near the Gate to PAX, then..there is one here in Calvert, and one in Charles County. This is the one I take mine too. Their number is 301-885-0263. I started with them before Calvert opened their Clinic in January. The WPC in Charles has more hours than Calvert. Not sure about St Mary's.

suitlandgal

I had a schnauzer with itchy red and bleeding skin years ago. Turned out he was allergic to the fleas. It was horrible. I have another schnauzer now. He has dry skin too. My groomer recommends liquid fish oil. Btw, looking for another one. Anyone know any schnauzer breeders in somd?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had a schnauzer with itchy red and bleeding skin years ago. Turned out he was allergic to the fleas. It was horrible. I have another schnauzer now. He has dry skin too. My groomer recommends liquid fish oil. Btw, looking for another one. Anyone know any schnauzer breeders in somd?

Kwillia shaves her own schnauzer.

mamaof1

You can also buy shampoo and spray called Micro Tek by Eqyss. This stuff is AWESOME! My dachshund has major skin allergies and it helps so much. We have tried everything - from changing to hypo allergenic food ($$$) to skin testing... Per my groomer, when he has an outbreak - I give him a bath a couple of times a week. In between washes, I use the spray mainly on his feet. (I have to spray on towel or hand, then put it on him)

Micro-Tek Shampoo

Also, in the pet section of walmart, you can find a cheap version of Benadryl - called Allergy Medicine for Pets (it is in a white and blue bottle) - it is the same antihistime that is in Benadryl, just half the price. Dosage is the same as if it were name brand Benadryl.

Oh, also - we went to a Lamb and Rice food too. The less additives the better.

Hope this helps. I understand the woes of wanting your pet to feel better but not wanting to pay the vet anymore $$..

Good luck.

Lilypad

In addition to all the other posters advise....I keep a spritzer bottle filled w/Avon's Skin-so-Soft oil and water (1 part SsS and 4 parts water) I spritz my dogs down routinely. It helps!

mizteresa1965

Thanks for all the advice. I got a special flea and tick shampoo and conditioner recommended by the groomer at Petco. I bathed him in it thursday night, and so far haven't seen any fleas. I got the salmon oil in the mail yesterday, so this morning was the first dose for that. And I have been giving him benedryl when I get home from work. And I know this sounds silly, but he has a little doggie tshirt that looks like christmas pj's, when he has that on, he won't chew and scratch at himself. So when he is inside, he where's it. I do keep his hair short, in fact he's ready for another hair cut, but I do that myself. Hopefully all this will help! :)

Roman

It sounds like you now have everything covered! Good for you. It took about 2, or 3 weeks for the Salmon Oil to kick in. You will notice a shiney coat too. Just curious..what Brand Salmon Oil did you get? I use Grizzly Salmon Oil, and paid $19.00 for 16 ounces. My Pup only weighs 18 pounds, so it will last a while. Have you ever been to Pepper's Pet Pantry in Solomons? They carry nothing but the BEST in Grain-Free Foods. I forget if this was posted earlier, but Corn is one of the things Dogs, and Cats can develop an allergy too.

Last edited: