Dry Skin Shampoo

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
:howdy: My horse's tail has dry skin which is causing him to rub it and tear the hair out which is a BIG NO-NO! Right now i use a three step shampoo/conditioner which is called infusium i23 i think something along those lines but it's not doing the job. anyone have any good tail shampoo/conditioner ideas?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
MTG is great, but put it on at night, or if he's going to be inside during the day. It can cause a sunburn if used outside during the day with sunny weather.

fredsaid2

Eqyss products are good and I like Cowboy Magic detangler. Maybe skip shampooing until the itch problem is under control.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
okay MTG is good but i really need a shampoo/ conditioner for when i wash his tail which is every 2-3 weeks.

Okay, there's a slight problem there because generally shampoo and conditioner work on the hair and your guy has a skin problem. MTG is a leave in conditioner that also helps with skin problems.

If you're having a problem with your the moisture in your horse's tail (which is what you'd use a conditioner for) then I suggest using cholesterol. You can buy it in the ethnic section of supermarkets or pharmecies.

BlissfulJumper

Okay, there's a slight problem there because generally shampoo and conditioner work on the hair and your guy has a skin problem. MTG is a leave in conditioner that also helps with skin problems.

If you're having a problem with your the moisture in your horse's tail (which is what you'd use a conditioner for) then I suggest using cholesterol. You can buy it in the ethnic section of supermarkets or pharmecies.

Well he has dry skin and a dry tail. So i need something for both. I'm thinking T/Gel shampoo for the dandruff/dry skin its a medicated shampoo i think. and then I don't which shampoo/ conditioner to get for the moisture problem. His tail stays up in a braid tail bag 24/7 and only comes down to be washed and for shows. It's a lynn palm tail bag so you put the tail in moist to keep the moisture in but his tail is so dry that it doesn't help much. I use infusium shampoo, conditioner(let it set for 5 minutes) then ALOT of leave-in conditioner and its not helping so i need a system that is for dry/ flat hair that will boost it up and give it lots of moisture.. it doesn't matter if its horse shampoo or people shampoo...whatever works!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
As far as shampoos and conditioners are concerned I would not use people products on him. You've gotten some good suggestions, cowboy magic as shampoo and MTG for a conditioner. MTG you do not rinse out. It won't make the hair soft and fluffy, but it WILL help any skin problems including dry skin and itchiness. You can just apply the MTG to the tail bone. To soften the rest of the hair of the tail I still suggest cholesterol.

I've never heard of the Lynn Palm tail bag...I mean it's a bag for the tail, a tube sock works too. But, becareful with the braid in 24/7/365. I keep my guys tail braided because the bone was docked and even though the hair has grown out it gets messy easy and it's more effective as a fly swatter braided since he can swing that around fairly easily. Braiding hair tightly, especially wet hair can cause breakage.

Most skin and hair problems are signs of poor nutrition. Evaluate the feed your guy is on, especially if this is a new place and new feed/hay for him. He may be used to more nutrients. I believe you board, so you may be unable to change what feed or hay he gets, but you mostly can add a supplement with ingredients that can help him. An example is Omega Horseshine --> Horse Health Product Horseshine Omega 3 Flax Feed Supplement by Omega Fields

Also, as a final note your horse should only be washed when NEEDED. Horses need the natural oils they produce to keep their soft, shiny coats. Overwashing causes them to get dry skin which is then itchy. Limit the baths.

BlissfulJumper

As far as shampoos and conditioners are concerned I would not use people products on him. You've gotten some good suggestions, cowboy magic as shampoo and MTG for a conditioner. MTG you do not rinse out. It won't make the hair soft and fluffy, but it WILL help any skin problems including dry skin and itchiness. You can just apply the MTG to the tail bone. To soften the rest of the hair of the tail I still suggest cholesterol.

I've never heard of the Lynn Palm tail bag...I mean it's a bag for the tail, a tube sock works too. But, becareful with the braid in 24/7/365. I keep my guys tail braided because the bone was docked and even though the hair has grown out it gets messy easy and it's more effective as a fly swatter braided since he can swing that around fairly easily. Braiding hair tightly, especially wet hair can cause breakage.

Most skin and hair problems are signs of poor nutrition. Evaluate the feed your guy is on, especially if this is a new place and new feed/hay for him. He may be used to more nutrients. I believe you board, so you may be unable to change what feed or hay he gets, but you mostly can add a supplement with ingredients that can help him. An example is Omega Horseshine --> Horse Health Product Horseshine Omega 3 Flax Feed Supplement by Omega Fields

Also, as a final note your horse should only be washed when NEEDED. Horses need the natural oils they produce to keep their soft, shiny coats. Overwashing causes them to get dry skin which is then itchy. Limit the baths.

well the lynn palm tail bag you wrap a strip of the tail thing around the hair in to three seperate pieces then braid together and there's some left over for fly swatters.

his feed and hay have not changed. i actually give him more then he use to. He's on strategy and straight alfafa. He's got a smartpak with omega already in it aloong with other supplements. he also has not gotten a bath since i've owned him. i know that currying a horse is better for it then baths so i prefer to do that to bring out the natural oils. he only gets his tail washed when its suppose too. his tail bone is the ONLY part on his body that has dry skin.

fredsaid2

Isn't this a new horse for you? So even if you're keeping him on alfalfa from his previous barn, your alfalfa could be nutritionally different. It could be different from cutting to cutting. You could get your hay evaluated, see exactly what you may or may not need to add supplement wise. In the meantime go w/ Phyxius' suggestions of no bathing or the conditioners. Bathing w/ any shampoo will strip natural oils, moisturizing formula or not.

I don't think I've read if it's a tail rubbing issue or do you just see flakes and feel it must be dry? And have you given the MTG a try and what were your results?

Good luck!.

BlissfulJumper

Isn't this a new horse for you? So even if you're keeping him on alfalfa from his previous barn, your alfalfa could be nutritionally different. It could be different from cutting to cutting. You could get your hay evaluated, see exactly what you may or may not need to add supplement wise. In the meantime go w/ Phyxius' suggestions of no bathing or the conditioners. Bathing w/ any shampoo will strip natural oils, moisturizing formula or not.

I don't think I've read if it's a tail rubbing issue or do you just see flakes and feel it must be dry? And have you given the MTG a try and what were your results?

Good luck!.

it started as dry skin which would make it flakey but because of that he is rubbing his tail bone and ripping the hair out making his tail less full which in QH world is a no-no. And he has a really nice tail just not at the bone and no i haven't used it yet because i haven't had the time after or before lessons but i'm planning on putting it on tonight

SLIM

Well he has dry skin and a dry tail. So i need something for both. I'm thinking T/Gel shampoo for the dandruff/dry skin its a medicated shampoo i think. and then I don't which shampoo/ conditioner to get for the moisture problem. His tail stays up in a braid tail bag 24/7 and only comes down to be washed and for shows. It's a lynn palm tail bag so you put the tail in moist to keep the moisture in but his tail is so dry that it doesn't help much. I use infusium shampoo, conditioner(let it set for 5 minutes) then ALOT of leave-in conditioner and its not helping so i need a system that is for dry/ flat hair that will boost it up and give it lots of moisture.. it doesn't matter if its horse shampoo or people shampoo...whatever works!
:howdy:
I don't know alot about showing horses or anything but what are you leaving his tail moist with? If you are just leaving it wet with water the water will dry it out! Don't know, just a suggestion.