Calvert Co. Drywall/painting contractors

MR47930

Anyone have a drywall/painting contractor they recommend? I’ve reached out to a few that I found via google but haven’t heard anything back. Not a huge job, just fixing some ceiling drywall where we had a small leak and a few settling cracks and nail pops. Then would like the whole ceiling painted.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Anyone have a drywall/painting contractor they recommend? I’ve reached out to a few that I found via google but haven’t heard anything back. Not a huge job, just fixing some ceiling drywall where we had a small leak and a few settling cracks and nail pops. Then would like the whole ceiling painted.
My rental apartment was recently painted by Hughes custom painting and home improvements. 240 925 2166. I was very happy with their work.

Goldenhawk

Serge Viens has always done good drywall work for me for various projects, large and small.

Also, check this 2018 thread for more recommendations.

MR47930

Serge Viens has always done good drywall work for me for various projects, large and small.

Also, check this 2018 thread for more recommendations.
Thanks, I’ll reach out to them as well. Not sure what it is with contractors in this area. I’ve never had such a hard time giving away my money.

UglyBear

Sometimes it's easier to learn to do it yourself than to try to find a person willing to take your money, esp. since the job isn't too big.

A can of Spackle, a putty knife, sand paper and a paint roller -- tools/materials would be less than 10% of the cost.

(Just don't send SailorGirl to get the Spackle for you).

MR47930

Sometimes it's easier to learn to do it yourself than to try to find a person willing to take your money, esp. since the job isn't too big.

A can of Spackle, a putty knife, sand paper and a paint roller -- tools/materials would be less than 10% of the cost.

(Just don't send SailorGirl to get the Spackle for you).
I just don’t have the time. Plus I’ll gladly pay someone so I don’t have to look at my horrible spackle job. I’ve done some small DIY drywall repairs and it’s definitely an art.

UglyBear

I just don’t have the time. Plus I’ll gladly pay someone so I don’t have to look at my horrible spackle job. I’ve done some small DIY drywall repairs and it’s definitely an art.
I hear you. It's just so frustrating trying to find a contractor to do a small job. And then trying to schedule them to come to your house to do it.

I think most of my DIY projects were done after desperately trying to find someone to take my money for the job, getting a run-around, and saying "screw it all, the way I will do it will not be pretty, but dang it has to be done at some point".

I fully suspect that people who really are artists at this, and other trades, can get several times the money in "fancy" counties -- Arlington, MoCo, nice areas of DC, and the drive is not that significantly longer. So, we in the boondocks (relatively) get few pickings for contractors.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I fully suspect that people who really are artists at this, .....

I did some commercial construction in the 90's, we had this Hispanic Fella could lay the joint compound down so smooth, minimal sanding was required to prep for paint ..... not the usual spackle, sand, spackle again... sand again, paint

Goldenhawk

Drywall work requires three things: the right tools, plenty of practice, and plenty of patience. Tools I have. Practice I have a little. With the tools and my limited practice, I can now put down a reasonably smooth coat, and as long as I don't get impatient (I'm willing to do several thin coats and wait for each to fully set, instead of trying to finish in one day) it comes out just as good as any professional once it's been sanded. I'm just WAY slower - four or five days for a single job.

With that said, I wouldn't advise the average person to try to do a moderately-sized drywall job, because you do need the right tools and a lot of time. You'll acquire the practice in the doing, but it won't be fast. And it's a freaking mess if you're not good. Paying someone to do it will save many frustrating hours and a fair amount of money on decent tools you'll probably only use once or twice.

MR47930

My rental apartment was recently painted by Hughes custom painting and home improvements. 240 925 2166. I was very happy with their work.
Thank you for recommending this crew. They wrapped up a week long project last Friday on our home and we couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome. David and his crew were on time everyday, they took pride in their work and the price was very reasonable. Would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a contractor.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thank you for recommending this crew. They wrapped up a week long project last Friday on our home and we couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome. David and his crew were on time everyday, they took pride in their work and the price was very reasonable. Would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a contractor.
Awesome.
Thank you for the feed back.