Duct tape can be your friend.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle
Ahhh! The perfect alternative to the "KidStoned Chewable Valiums".
I couldn't get the link to open the picture. But, but it does make me think of the old Saturday Night Live for pets, Puppy Uppers and Doggie Downers...:wink:

J

justhangn

In all honesty though, they are the only thing that can drive you up a wall at will and you will always love them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
and if the tape doesn't work on the kids, you can always tape your ears shut.:biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Kyle

That was a trip, worth the wait. :roflmao:
Kidstoned Chewable Valium...Poke at them with a stick. :lmao: Nitrous oxide balloon animals...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Re: Kyle

Originally posted by Sharon
That was a trip, worth the wait. :roflmao:
Kidstoned Chewable Valium...Poke at them with a stick. :lmao: Nitrous oxide balloon animals...
Something I'm hoping they invent... Just in case I have some late in life! :lmao:

Quiet the house right back down!!! :lmao:

B

Bruzilla

Here are the two best "object" lessons that I used on my kids:

When my youngest son was about 18 mths old, he developed a bad habit of tossing his food on the floor. Despite repeated corrections he continued this behavior. Then one morning after he had tossed a handful of Cherios on the floor I picked up his bowl and poured it over his head, then I let him sit screaming and crying with milk and cereal running off his face until I was done eating. That night at dinner he grabbed up a handfull of peas and was about to drop them when he looked at me. When I reached for his plate he put the peas down and never dropped food again.

The other lesson was when my two sons (about six and four years old at the time) found a Batman Pez dispenser during a walk in a park. They fought over posession the whole way home. I got so sick and tired of the fighting I took them out to the garage, placed the toy on a counter, and smashed it into bits with a hammer. Then I equally divided the bits into two piles and then gave them each a pile. That was back in 1990, and to this day all I have to say is "Do I need to settle this like the Batman Pez dispenser?" and the arguing immediately stops. :smile:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gotta tell you, Bru, there are some who will be astonished by your methodology and think you're mean. Before any of them post, let me offer you a hearty:
:clap:

I found that my kids learned the "hard way" too. But it WAS effective, that's for sure.

blueeyes76

I don't have any children, but I certainly wouldn't say Bru's methods were mean. When I was just a little thing, I bit my Mom on her inner thigh, she grabbed my little arm and bit me back...I never bit again.

A lot of parents these days aren't agressive enough with their children, I witnessed it this weekend. Some friends of mine have a 5 year old boy and 2 1/2 year old girl. The 5 year old is at the point where he knows exactly what to do to his little sister to annoy the heck outta her. Well, when he annoys her she SCREAMS and I mean screams, it is so annoying. The parents pretty much do nothing. They tell the little boy to stop picking on his sister and that's fine, but what about the child screaming non-stop even after he has left her alone. Like I said, I don't have any children, but I'd like to think I would have to take the little one aside and tell her to stop it, at least when other people are around. Who knows though!? :wink: I know if I behaved that way my parents would have busted my little butt.

K

Kizzy

I have 2 boys that fight all the time. I will have to keep that in mind.

"Do I need to settle this like the Batman Pez dispenser?"
:lmao:

When I was growing up, I got the belt in an instant. NOW, this would be considered child abuse.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
When I was growing up, I got the belt in an instant. NOW, this would be considered child abuse.
When small, it was the wooden spoon. When a teenager, it was fists.

J

justhangn

Bru, :clap: I don't smash the toy when my two heathens are at it, but I do throw it away. It usually works, but not always.

Cari, You may be referring to “making children mind without losing yours” It’s a pretty good book I have been reading on and off now for a few months. It goes into a lot of what you referred to.

J

justhangn

That's fine Cari, but you should give the book a read anyway. Its foundation is on making the child accountable for their actions.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
You know what makes me ill... My brother's girlfriend. She has 3 kids 2 of which are my brother's. The oldest is 8 and does not live with them because she lost cusotdy of him to his father. We all know you have to be a real good mom to lose custody to a father. Anyway, my neice and nephew are 3.5 and 8 months. My nephew has been taking lessons from his older brother on being rotten. A few days ago at the sitter my neice was sitting in a bouncy chair when my nephew went over to her and pushed the whole thing over with her in it. The sitter called his mom and told her. Instead of telling the sitter to punish him she asked her what would she do. Long story short, she let the sitter spank (and I said spank not beat) him but she never does. She makes me sick, she makes my brother do all the discipline and all she ever does is yell and scream. Funny thing is when my nephew is with me he's an angel. A typical 3 year old but he listens.

Even though my son is only 9 months old I don't let him act like a brat. If he starts getting an attitude or is cranky I put his little butt right in his crib. Sure he'll fuss for a few but he always either falls asleep or quiets down and plays with his toys in his crib. If he doesn't fall asleep I let him play for a few then go get him out. He's always much nicer when I get him out then when I put him in. My mom who use to beat the crap out of me when I misbehaved always tells me what a mean mommy I am. :lmao: