Dungeons and Dragons Players Face the Scariest Monster of All: The Radical Left

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy adventure game where players join together to fight monsters, save kingdoms, and embark on quests all made up by a storyteller called the Dungeon Master. The Dungeon Master weaves together a story with the help of his players, and occasionally, official Dungeons and Dragons stories called modules.

USA Today released a fawning article about the new narratives with adventures “shaped by the lived experiences of the most diverse group of writers ever assembled by [the company that makes Dungeons and Dragons] Wizards of the Coast.”

Are the stories and adventures any good? Who knows and who cares! They were written by minorities and that’s all that matters.

“Radiant Citadel” project co-lead and story writer Ajit A. George said, “The book is just a celebration of people of color,” while story writer Erin Roberts added, “This is such a big world. It’s such a diverse world and you’re a part of it. You’re a part of the dream. You’re a part of the fantasy.”

Diversity and Dragons anyone?

What makes “Radiant Citadel” so much stranger is that it flies in the face of both the old rules of the radical left and the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons as a whole.

The left constantly crows about cultural appropriation and pushes for a form of neo-segregation. Whites are told to stay in their lane and avoid anything that could be perceived as adopting parts of minority culture.

It’s ridiculous to lock certain cultures away and only make them accessible based on the color of your skin, but “Radiant Citadel” is nothing but stories by minorities about minority cultures.

The radical left can’t have it both ways. Either it’s OK for white people to adapt and use these stories as part of their games or not. Seeing as “Radiant Citadel” is on sale for the general public, it seems Wizards of the Coast prefers the former.

Frankly, the whole discussion around race and cultural appropriation in Dungeons and Dragons rings a little hollow as the game is, at its core, essentially making up a story.

Who cares if the official Dungeons and Dragons manual didn’t have an explicitly black character in it? You could just make a black character up and insert him into your story. There are no Dungeons and Dragons police to break down your door and arrest you for going against the script.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My favorite characters were the Dragons "HooptyWing" and "Lil-D" and the Orc twins "Dew-Wayne" and "Vamoosia" and lets not forget the Witchy woman "Bootycall"

Clem72

So anyone who was alive in 70s/80s will remember how much conservative groups (especially religious ones) appreciate dungeons and dragons and would definitely not want it to be influenced or changed by woke culture.

#KeepMyD&D666

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I started with Original D&D when I went to college in the Fall of 1975.
I do not think we ever thought of what the different characters actually looked like, or cared.

I still have my original Little Brown Books and the original Supplements.
I also have my 1977 edition Traveller Little Black Books, and the original line of Supplements, too.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

D&D has a new inclusion review process to prevent another Spelljammer incident

Wizards of the Coast has announced changes to the review process for future Dungeons & Dragons publications as well as reprints in response to "the problematic content that appeared in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space" in a blog post on D&D Beyond(opens in new tab).

The publisher previously apologized for and removed a description of Spelljammer's flying monkey-people the hadozee that was criticized for its similarity to racist stereotypes of Black people. In the blog post, D&D's senior story designer Christopher Perkins writes that, "The first printing of Spelljammer: Adventures in Space included two pieces of content that fans correctly flagged as offensive. The first is an illustration of a hadozee bard that resembles offensive minstrelsy materials and other racist depictions of Black people. The second is a paragraph about hadozees that reinforces harmful real-world stereotypes. Future reprints will omit both the illustration and the offensive text, neither of which had been reviewed by cultural experts."

Perkins explains that previous D&D books only underwent inclusion reviews "at the discretion of the Product Lead". Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel, for instance, a collection of adventures based in settings inspired by non-European folklore and written by authors from diverse backgrounds, credits multiple cultural consultants. Curse of Strahd, which had to be revised after publication to remove racially insensitive text, did not—though a subsequent book in the same setting, Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, did. As Perkins writes, "The studio's new process mandates that every word, illustration, and map must be reviewed by multiple outside cultural consultants prior to publication."

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It has been several years since I bought any WOC products.
Looks like I'll keep not doing that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's a contest by the left.

How many things can they possibly ruin before being beaten to a bloody pulp and thrown in a shallow grave.