Dutch coach: American football a foolish sport

Dutch skating coach Jillert Anema says American football sucks

"You have a lot of attention on a foolish sport like American football and you waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, on a sport that is meant to kill each other, to injure each other. ...You're so narrow-minded, and then you want to compete against the world [in other sports] when you waste a lot of time, good talent on a sport that sucks."

Yeah, okay buddy. You can have your speed skating medals, I think I'd rather have football (and basketball and baseball and...) than win a few more skating medals every 4 years. I won't even get started on the considerable merits of football as a sport relative to other (so-called) sports.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dutch skating coach Jillert Anema says American football sucks

Yeah, okay buddy. You can have your speed skating medals, I think I'd rather have football (and basketball and baseball and...) than win a few more skating medals every 4 years. I won't even get started on the considerable merits of football as a sport relative to other (so-called) sports.

He's right, you know.

Football is a brutal, savage gladiator thing.

"You have a lot of attention on a foolish sport like American football and you waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, on a sport that is meant to kill each other, to injure each other. ...You're so narrow-minded, and then you want to compete against the world [in other sports] when you waste a lot of time, good talent on a sport that sucks."

He's right, you know.

Football is a brutal, savage gladiator thing.

He's (i.e. he would be if that was what he said and all he said) right in that it's a brutal sport, sure. And, yes, absolutely, it's the closest thing in mainstream team sports to gladiator-ish competition. That's much of the point - it's physical (with some mental thrown in) competition, it's a test of manhood, it's what sport originated as. Let's get it on and see who's the man here. It's a little more sophisticated version of what male lions or bears do in the wild (but only a little more sophisticated version :smile:).

Like I said, he can have his speed skating medals. I think America as a whole is okay with having stuff like football, even if that's the trade-off. Telling us that we won't ever dominate in speed skating because we waste too much talent on things like football and basketball is like telling someone that they won't ever be great at needle-point because they waste too much talent having sex and socializing with their friends. We'll never be great at needle point unless we stop wasting time having sex? Well, okay, thanks for the heads-up buddy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Telling us that we won't ever dominate in speed skating because we waste too much talent on things like football and basketball is like telling someone that they won't ever be great at needle-point because they waste too much talent having sex and socializing with their friends. We'll never be great at needle point unless we stop wasting time having sex? Well, okay, thanks for the heads-up buddy.

That pretty much sums it up. :yay:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
And the Dutch are relevant in, uh, what? Tulips? Over the counter drugs and hookers in Amsterdam? His job once every four years in the winter Olympics? Double Dutch jump roping? Dutch cookers or apple pie? Going Dutch?

When was the last time any Dutch soccer team (their glory) did anything?

This is Amerika, where we thrive on wasting things, and millions of young men thrive on the potential of athletic competition to possibly waste their knees , and sometimes senses, for the glory, fame, and payout of American football.:yahoo:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He's (i.e. he would be if that was what he said and all he said) right in that it's a brutal sport, sure. And, yes, absolutely, it's the closest thing in mainstream team sports to gladiator-ish competition. That's much of the point - it's physical (with some mental thrown in) competition, it's a test of manhood, it's what sport originated as. Let's get it on and see who's the man here. It's a little more sophisticated version of what male lions or bears do in the wild (but only a little more sophisticated version :smile:).

Like I said, he can have his speed skating medals. I think America as a whole is okay with having stuff like football, even if that's the trade-off. Telling us that we won't ever dominate in speed skating because we waste too much talent on things like football and basketball is like telling someone that they won't ever be great at needle-point because they waste too much talent having sex and socializing with their friends. We'll never be great at needle point unless we stop wasting time having sex? Well, okay, thanks for the heads-up buddy.

No, no. He VERY much applauded our dominance in basketball, a game the world plays and we are VERY good at and draws top athletes. He simply thinks football what it is; a dumb game. Further, no one else plays it because no one else places such a high value on brutality as America. And, because we value it so much, it absorbs great athletes that may well have gone on and dominated in other sports. Like speed skating.

I mean, think of American soccer, speed skating, with Barry Sanders, with Dion Sanders, with Terrel Owens, with Emmit Smith, Jerry Rice.

The mind shudders to think what we could do with those guys in, say, curling...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What were his thoughts on rugby?

Attachments

• dutchrugger.jpg
    dutchrugger.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 78