Dysons Lumber Saint Inigoes

NOTSMC

I don't know how many forumites are familiar with this neck of the woods, but as far back as 50 plus years ago there was a small Dyson's Lumber located on the corner of Route 5 and Beachville Road. It was an older building then, part business and part home (I think) and it continued to run downhill when that particular Dysons was out of business. They began to clean up the property a little last year and this year they've really pushed it. Whelp as old and run down as the house was, it's completely covered in building wrap and on cinder blocks.

Anyone know why on earth they would be restoring the building and what's going up on the property if it's not the restored house? Really curious and no one seems to have the answer.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Historic property. House is worth it to rehab. Regulatory costs to demo and rebuild new makes restoring the old house cheaper/more worthwhile. Several reasons.

NOTSMC

Historic property. House is worth it to rehab. Regulatory costs to demo and rebuild new makes restoring the old house cheaper/more worthwhile. Several reasons.
I had wondered if historic might be the reason. There are so many places around here that have become so familiar over the years that I can tell you from memory what to expect in their windows at Christmas and what flowers will be in their yards come spring. Hate seeing it all change.

I hope that's the reason.

glhs837

Power with Control
Always wondered what its history was. Thanks. If the bones were good, ne reason not to rebuild. Add modern systems and you have a big house with a lot of extra space.

NOTSMC

It's actually pretty interesting (if you enjoy reading about local history) especially the Chesapeake Today version.

https://www.thechesapeaketoday.com/...es-news-of-the-passing-of-mary-dyson-bohanan/

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I remember going there when it was a hardware store/lumber yard. Then, during the early 1980's, the property became famous by turning in to a St. Mary's College party house.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPD

NOTSMC

I remember going there when it was a hardware store/lumbar yard. They, during the early 1980's, the property became famous by turning in to a St. Mary's College party house.
That's interesting. Was it a rental at one time?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
That's interesting. Was it a rental at one time?
Yep!

And around that same time we're other infamous rental SMC party houses:

FPN, off of Fresh Pond Neck Road
Nickle-98, off of Trapp Road
The Villa, the old house (now replaced) at the end of Villa Road
The Panic House, near the entrance to Rosecroft Road
Smith Creek House, off of St. Peter Claver Road
Tippett Road House, near Spring Ridge MS
And my old abode, the 1st floor apartment at Monk's

TPD

the poor dad
Yep!

And around that same time we're other infamous rental SMC party houses:

FPN, off of Fresh Pond Neck Road
Nickle-98, off of Trapp Road
The Villa, the old house (now replaced) at the end of Villa Road
The Panic House, near the entrance to Rosecroft Road
Smith Creek House, off of St. Peter Claver Road
Tippett Road House, near Spring Ridge MS
And my old abode, the 1st floor apartment at Monk's
ah yes those were the days. Another one was the 2 story house south of the intersection north of SouthRidge, but that may have been a bit later. Can't recall a lot of partying there but I do recall the natural sunbathing on the roof of the back porch....

Grumpy

ah yes those were the days. Another one was the 2 story house south of the intersection north of SouthRidge, but that may have been a bit later. Can't recall a lot of partying there but I do recall the natural sunbathing on the roof of the back porch....
Oh yes, I do remember those bird watching trips were a blast.