Eagles

TPD

the poor dad
The last day of October, we were bush hogging some fields at the farm, stirring up rabbits. This brought in the Eagles.

This shot was of 4 eagles landing to partake in the meal….

Attachments

• Eagles.jpg
    Eagles.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 268

TPD

the poor dad
Eagle Number 5 shows up to start a fight. This is a young eagle - doesn't have it's white markings yet.

Attachments

• Eagles2.jpg
    Eagles2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 216

TPD

the poor dad
The young eagle wins - the others fly off.

Attachments

• Eagles4.jpg
    Eagles4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Eagles3.jpg
    Eagles3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 226

TPD

the poor dad
I didn't think Eagles would eat dead stuff.

The rabbit was alive. I watched one of them swoop in and pick up the rabbit for the kill and fly off a bit. Rabbit was too heavy for it to carry it more than 50-100 ft at a time. Unfortunately, I did not get the camera out in time for all of the action.

thesilentwoman

I didn't think Eagles would eat dead stuff.

Bald eagles mainly feed on fish. When a bald eagle is not fishing, it will feed on almost anything it can catch, including ducks, wading birds, turtles, rodents, snakes, and any carcass. Bald eagles eat one pound of fish in four minutes. They eat other small animals such as muskrats, ducks, rabbits, snakes, and turtles. However, 90% of their diet is fish. They will occasionally eat the carrion or dead carcass of an animal as well.
They will also eat the dogs that are shot by "hunters" on the shores of the Potomac River at Purse State Park in Western Charles County, as was witnessed this week. And they will eat their own dead rotting kind when they are shot by "waterfowl hunters" in the same location as witnessed last year.
But your Maryland DNR and Wildlife and Heritage says this doesn't happen here.
Just so you know.

TPD

the poor dad
Bald eagles mainly feed on fish. When a bald eagle is not fishing, it will feed on almost anything it can catch, including ducks, wading birds, turtles, rodents, snakes, and any carcass. Bald eagles eat one pound of fish in four minutes. They eat other small animals such as muskrats, ducks, rabbits, snakes, and turtles. However, 90% of their diet is fish. They will occasionally eat the carrion or dead carcass of an animal as well.
They will also eat the dogs that are shot by "hunters" on the shores of the Potomac River at Purse State Park in Western Charles County, as was witnessed this week. And they will eat their own dead rotting kind when they are shot by "waterfowl hunters" in the same location as witnessed last year.
But your Maryland DNR and Wildlife and Heritage says this doesn't happen here.
Just so you know.

I have also seen eagles eating dead deer on the side of the road.

Pete

Repete
Yesterday I saw a bunch of vultures surrounding a deer carcass on the edge of a field and there was a bald eagle among them. I was shocked

mamatutu

mama to two
Wow, TPD. Amazing pics. I wouldn't know, but I think getting a pic of multiple bald eagles together is rare. Thanks for sharing awesome pics of one of America's symbols. :patriot:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
A few years ago, one of the guys that hunt on our property dropped a deer in the field, so he gutted it there. Two days later these guys showed up. The buzzards stayed in the trees until the eagles had their fill. Now I always insist on a gut pile dumped in the field so I can watch them.

But I now know where "eagle eyed" comes from - they can see me move around in the house from 300+ yards away. I get too close to the windows and they fly away.

Fall '09 107 - Copy.JPG

Fall '09 130 - Copy (800x600).jpg

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Even the "Mighty" Bald Eagle will become a scavenger if it gets "free" food.

A life lesson, lost on most.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was able to see an Eagle sweep up a little bunny rabbit once.
That damn bunny went crazy, all that kicking and smacking the eagle saved its life. The eagle couldn't hang on to its meal. Little bunny fell about 20 feet to the ground and started hopping away......................................... so I shot it.