Education issue makes WashPo front page

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I know you all have been reading what I've been posting about what's going on with education in the state & country today with Common Core and some of the key players involved - Bill Gates, Arne Duncan, Eli Broad, Michelle Rhee, et al. Some of you believed what I was saying and some of you did not & that's okay.

Today, TODAY, in the Washington Post Sunday newspaper, Main section, Front Page, ABOVE THE FOLD (most coveted position in a newspaper -- indicates LEAD story for the day), is this article.

How Bill Gates Pulled Off the Swift Common Core Revolution
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...30e32e-ec34-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html

This is not just local coverage, and not even just national coverage. This edition goes world-wide! Like they say on those phone commercials, "Can you hear me now?"

I am validated!:starcat:

Last edited:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I don't know of anyone who would say you're invalid. And that's the truth.

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I know that this issue puts me on the soapbox a lot, but I can't help it. I just get so frustrated that all of this information is out there about this guy, the others involved, etc., and many folks just don't seem to "get it". Finally, FINALLY, we get some major Press about it. They should have been on this sooner, but better late than never. I hope they go further and start tugging on the other threads that are holding this whole big ball of string together.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... that academic standards varied so wildly between states that high school diplomas had lost all meaning, that as many as 40 percent of college freshmen needed remedial classes and that U.S. students were falling behind their foreign competitors.

how about the standards have been reduced so much ...

BOP

I'm still making my way through the article, but always in the back of my mind is the notion that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. I wonder if that's taught as part of common whore...er, core. Anytime anyone, whether it's Bill Gates or the federal government, there are always strings attached. Not the least of which is the fact that the funding can be pulled at any time, for any reason.

"Gates is devoting some of his fortune to correct that. Since 1999, the Gates Foundation has spent approximately $3.4 billion on an array of measures to try to improve K-12 public education, with mixed results.

It spent about $650 million on a program to replace large urban high schools with smaller schools, on the theory that students at risk of dropping out would be more likely to stay in schools where they forged closer bonds with teachers and other students. That led to a modest increase in graduation rates, an outcome that underwhelmed Gates and prompted the foundation to pull the plug."

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It spent about $650 million on a program to replace large urban high schools with smaller schools, on the theory that students at risk of dropping out would be more likely to stay in schools where they forged closer bonds with teachers and other students. That led to a modest increase in graduation rates, an outcome that underwhelmed Gates and prompted the foundation to pull the plug."
Unless the parents insist on high education standards for their children, it won't matter how many programs they come up with. I find a positive correlation between the number of parents who attend PTA meetings with how well the school does in standardized testing.

Parents drive the bus as far as their kids education goes. If the kid is made to do homework, is read to at an early age, has education stressed to them as being very important, the child's chance of success in school is likely. Conversely if the parents couldn't care less how little Suzie does in school, chance are Suzie will struggle as a student.

The Houston, TX school district tried a program called Apollo 20. If you watch the video you will realize that this is some liberal, feel good program. I found the actions of the teachers exhausting. They were trying to help students that had no intention of doing the least bit of work to help themselves. No parental involvement. Kids fighting and doing drugs. Why not concentrate this level of effort on the students that are there to get an education and don't bog the system down with their dysfunctionality.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dropout-nation/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... the Gates Foundation has spent .....

remember folks, TGF pays for the killing of black babies in Africa ... with donations to Abortion Programs

think about that - an old rich white 1st world-er paying for the murder of Africans .....