Eggplant

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The stuffed ham thread got me thinking about this. I enjoy eating eggplant. My favorite style is parmigiana. I also like baba ganoush. I often slice it up, slather some garlic based olive oil on it, then grill it.

But it's a lot of work to make the first 2 recipes. A few weeks ago I got a hankering for some eggplant. I saw a frozen eggplant parm product by Michael Angelo. Figuring 'how bad could it be', I got it. I was quite surprised by how good it tasted. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. YMMV. Now I get a few and leave them in the freezer for when I want something but don't know what I want.

Growing up in northern NJ, we had a sub shop in town that made the best eggplant parm sandwiches. Sadly it's no longer there. People on the town's facebook page often reminisce about the good old days and the Bee & Tee sub shop offerings.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The stuffed ham thread got me thinking about this. I enjoy eating eggplant. My favorite style is parmigiana. I also like baba ganoush. I often slice it up, slather some garlic based olive oil on it, then grill it.

But it's a lot of work to make the first 2 recipes. A few weeks ago I got a hankering for some eggplant. I saw a frozen eggplant parm product by Michael Angelo. Figuring 'how bad could it be', I got it. I was quite surprised by how good it tasted. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. YMMV. Now I get a few and leave them in the freezer for when I want something but don't know what I want.

Growing up in northern NJ, we had a sub shop in town that made the best eggplant parm sandwiches. Sadly it's no longer there. People on the town's facebook page often reminisce about the good old days and the Bee & Tee sub shop offerings.

I'd take eggplant parm over chicken parm any day of the week.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I also LOVE eggplant parmigiana! :cartwheel:

Monello, I am pretty sure that is the same frozen brand I'd tried before I started going to Mamma Lucia's in PF. I found it at Safeway, and agree - it was pretty good for a frozen variety. :yay:

Someone changed something in the recipe at Mamma Lucia's. Although they make it very well - the last couple of times I got it earlier this year, the slices were too thick and "tough". They serve a huge portion anyway, so I always take home at least half of it.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Eggplant is always mushy. Blick. There's nothing not to like about breaded and fried vegetables, unless they become a blob of mush.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

I grow about 12 eggplant plants a year in my garden. l have numerous ways I cook them. My favorite is stuffed egg plant were I mix the meat with ground veal and spices, bread crumbs and cheese and diced tomatoes.....stuff it all back into the skins and bake.. Im drooling typing this post.....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Eggplant is always mushy. Blick. There's nothing not to like about breaded and fried vegetables, unless they become a blob of mush.

:yikes:

Save this post for all those peeps who think I agree everything you say! :lmao:

:wink:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I make a pretty good eggplant parm, made with eggplant, basil and tomatoes that I grow myself.