Eggs

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
What's funny is I've been buying a dozen now and then, and tossing about half of them due to them expiring before I use them all. Now that I'm trapped at home, I've been eating one a day on the breakfast sandwich that's replaced my dailey commute sausage Mcmuffin.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'll bet you're tossing perfectly good eggs. I've never even looked at expiration on eggs once they're home. Never had a bad one.
The carton I tossed yesterday were from July 19, 2022. I didn't want to take a chance. Plus they were really, really light. I can dig them out and wash them off, if you want them.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The carton I tossed yesterday were from July 19, 2022. I didn't want to take a chance. Plus they were really, really light. I can dig them out and wash them off, if you want them.
:lol: Ok..... I would have tossed those too. A month or two is ok. Almost a year, not so much. :lol:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
:lol: Ok..... I would have tossed those too. A month or two is ok. Almost a year, not so much. :lol:
At a month or 2, I will give them a water test, but just didn't use them fast enough to warrant keeping them on hand. Every time I bagged up my trash, I would forget about them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It was nice, picking up a carton of eggs at the store this morning, without taking out a second mortgage.

PeoplesElbow

That's up a bit from $2.33 a few days ago.

Giant still has the majority of their eggs at $4+/doz. No idea why when everywhere else they've gone down.
I don't think they have gone down much at Weis either, but at Walmart and Aldi they have dropped like a rock.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Eggs-Tortion? Profits For Largest U.S. Egg Producer Soar 718%

But it turns out that Cal-Maine Foods, the largest U.S. producer, more than doubled its revenue last quarter to nearly a billion dollars because of sharply higher egg prices — and profits surged 718%. And production wasn’t down. Cal-Maine, which controls about 20% of the domestic egg market, said the total number of eggs it sold rose by 1%, CNN reported.

The company said the average selling price for a dozen eggs in the quarter ending February 25 was $3.30. That’s more than twice what a dozen cost a year earlier, when its average price was $1.61, Cal-Maine said. Thus, net income soared to $323.2 million from just $39.5 million a year ago, CNN reported.

In January, the cost of a dozen eggs surpassed the price of a pound of beef, marking the first time that’s happened since the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) began keeping data in 1980. The average price of a dozen large Grade A eggs ran at $4.82 in January 2023, while a pound of ground beef was $4.64, the BLS said. In January 2022, eggs were $1.93, and beef was $4.77, but egg prices have soared by 70% in the last year alone, according to the bureau.

Farm Action, a farmer-led advocacy group, says the “real culprit” behind sky-high prices is a “collusive scheme” among top U.S. egg producers to fix prices to gouge consumers. In a January letter to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Farm Action said the alleged collusion has helped egg producers to “extract egregious profits reaching as high as 40%.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't really look at the price of eggs anymore. I'm going to buy them no matter what, so if they're $3 or $10 it doesn't matter. Coffee, same.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I don't really look at the price of eggs anymore. I'm going to buy them no matter what, so if they're $3 or $10 it doesn't matter. Coffee, same.
I wasn't posting so much for the price as the "return to below normal" from the incredible highs.

I actually get my eggs from a local source now, and coffee I get in bulk at BJs, then mix my own blend.