EHV-1 Rumor getting out of hand

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
It seems like people are in a huge panic. I was told that the Dept. of Agr. had put holds on all the barns and movement into & out of VA. I even facilitated that rumor and told someone they couldn't take the horse they were selling there tomorrow. She, in turn, called the Dept. of Agr, and spoke to Vet. Services and they said that rumor is NOT TRUE. The person she spoke to said that calls have been pouring in all day about this rumor. I have received many e-mails asking if I was going to reschedule the show due to the panic. I honestly think that Dept. of Agr. knows what they are doing and have already taken action to make MD safer. As described on another thread it says, "to go about business as usual". I have no intentions on canceling the show unless the Dept. of Agr. states we should, or the weather is terrible. I understand that this is a scary virus, but the panic is getting out of control.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Dr Molesworth said if it keeps up she would think about canceling her perelli clinic March 17 and 18th

Sparks

I certainly don't think panic is necessary and there really are a lot of rumors going around. However, I do think "better safe than sorry" is a very good plan at this point.

T

TWHFAN1

Here is the latest I was sent??

UPDATE ON EQUINE HERPES VIRUS-1 IN VIRGINIA, ADDITIONAL FACILITIES
>>QUARANTINED AS A PRECAUTION
>>
>>The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) is
>>taking precautionary measures and quarantining additional farms in
>>Virginia
>>due to an outbreak of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV-1). Previously, VDACS
>>quarantined the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center (EMC) in
>>Leesburg
>>and one farm in Loudoun County.
>>
>>In the hours following discovery of a horse possibly infected with EHV-1
>>at
>>the EMC, both Virginia and Maryland learned of additional horses that may
>>have had contact with that animal. Both states are conducting
>>investigations
>>and doing trace-backs on at-risk horses. Virginia is placing more
>>quarantines today. By Friday evening, February 23, 2007, the following
>>localities will have quarantines in place:
>>Culpeper County 1 Premises 6 Horses
>>Fauquier County 2 Premises 67 Horses
>>Loudoun County 6 Premises 72 Horses
>>Quantico Marine Base 1 Premises 30 Horses (estimate)
>>
>>This represents a total of approximately 175 horses under quarantine, only
>>three of which have shown neurological signs of EHV-1. One of those horses
>>resides in Fauquier County and two in Loudoun County.
>>
>>EHV1 in a highly contagious disease that presents no known health threat
>>to
>>humans, but humans can spread it from farm to farm on their clothing,
>>shoes,
>>tires, or equipment. To enhance bio-security, VDACS has cancelled the
>>Casanova Hunt Club Point-to-Point and the Casanova Hunter Pace events this
>>weekend because of their proximity to a quarantined premises.
>>
>>Dr. Richard Wilkes, Virginia State Veterinarian, said, "We are being very
>>conservative in our approach and are quarantining farms that have horses
>>on
>>the premises that were at the equine center during the possible contagious
>>period. The quarantines are precautionary measures and do not mean there
>>are
>>sick horses on the premises. No horse on a Virginia premises outside the
>>equine center has been confirmed to have EHV1, but we have tested some
>>horses on contact farms that have fevers and no other signs and one horse
>>that has neurological signs. We expect to receive test results early next
>>week. This aggressive approach is to try and contain any possible exposure
>>while we assess the risk that this event holds for our horse industry.
>>Virginia horse-owners need to understand that we are being proactive and
>>pre-emptive at this time to protect our state's horse industry. We have
>>cancelled a couple of equine events to add another measure of protection."
>>
>>Wilkes added, "We are working with faculty at the Virginia-Maryland
>>Regional
>>College of Veterinary Medicine at their Blacksburg and Marion duPont Scott
>>facilities, the Virginia Association of Equine Practitioners, USDA, and
>>the
>>Maryland Department of Agriculture to be sure that we take responsible,
>>effective action to control EHV-1."
>>
>>Wilkes encourages activity planners to consider upcoming events in
>>Northern
>>Virginia carefully and to postpone all non-essential ones to minimize the
>>occasions where horses co-mingle. The mixing and mingling of horses has
>>the
>>potential to compromise bio-security as they move from area to area. The
>>VDACS Web site has bio-security information at
>>http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/pdf/ehv-infosheet.pdf and the
>>University of Florida site has bio-security guidelines at
>>http://brevard.ifas.ufl.edu/Agriculture/PDF/Equine
>>Herpesvirus%20UF%20Web%20Biosecurity.pdf.
>>
>>Quarantines will restrict movement on and off the affected facilities. In
>>addition, veterinarians are urging horse owners to observe strict hygiene
>>control procedures to avoid spreading the disease in the environment. This
>>includes a thorough cleaning and disinfecting routine using a proven
>>disinfectant/cleaner.
>>
>>For more information, see the VDACS Web site at www.vdacs.virginia.gov and
>>click on "Read More" in the "What's New: Equine Herpes Virus 1" box. This
>>site contains press releases, a fact sheet, and information on
>>bio-security

bjsangel

Sadielady said:
It seems like people are in a huge panic. I was told that the Dept. of Agr. had put holds on all the barns and movement into & out of VA. I even facilitated that rumor and told someone they couldn't take the horse they were selling there tomorrow. She, in turn, called the Dept. of Agr, and spoke to Vet. Services and they said that rumor is NOT TRUE. The person she spoke to said that calls have been pouring in all day about this rumor. I have received many e-mails asking if I was going to reschedule the show due to the panic. I honestly think that Dept. of Agr. knows what they are doing and have already taken action to make MD safer. As described on another thread it says, "to go about business as usual". I have no intentions on canceling the show unless the Dept. of Agr. states we should, or the weather is terrible. I understand that this is a scary virus, but the panic is getting out of control.

Labeling the reaction of our horse community as a "huge panic" is being rather disrespectful us as horse owners and irresponsible to the horses.

"Morven park has 4 postive tested horses now, the news was the front page
of Culpeper paper yesterday, and the Virginia Hunt races have been
cancelled for the next 45 days. All 7 of those horses and the owners of
the 8th were in that environment!"

Gee, how do you think these 4 horses acquired this virus? Unless you are God, how do you really know if our so called "panic is getting out of hand?" And so what if it is? Wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? What's wrong with a little caution and awareness? Maybe this wouldn't have happened at all if everyone practiced some common sense. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the horses they have just where they are for now. Your horses have no choice where you take them and what you do with them, but you do. Be responsible!

fredsaid2

bjsangel said:
Labeling the reaction of our horse community as a "huge panic" is being rather disrespectful us as horse owners and irresponsible to the horses.

"Morven park has 4 postive tested horses now, the news was the front page
of Culpeper paper yesterday, and the Virginia Hunt races have been
cancelled for the next 45 days. All 7 of those horses and the owners of
the 8th were in that environment!"

Gee, how do you think these 4 horses acquired this virus? Unless you are God, how do you really know if our so called "panic is getting out of hand?" And so what if it is? Wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? What's wrong with a little caution and awareness? Maybe this wouldn't have happened at all if everyone practiced some common sense. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the horses they have just where they are for now. Your horses have no choice where you take them and what you do with them, but you do. Be responsible!

I think she's just speaking from her perspective of being a show manager with a close at hand show. She could well be fielding panicky calls from entries, and so she uses the word "panic". Not a big deal. So far the outbreak seems to be contained to Morven and the quarantined barns but we all need to remain aware and up to date.

Common sense wouldn't have helped. Research shows a large percentage of horses carry the virus but only shed under duress. The vector horse in for colic appears to be one of them. It happens. We can do our best to keep horses safe yet some things are out of our control.

All we can do now is pray for recovery for the ones affected and a quick and total containment.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
fredsaid2 said:
I think she's just speaking from her perspective of being a show manager with a close at hand show. She could well be fielding panicky calls from entries, and so she uses the word "panic". Not a big deal. So far the outbreak seems to be contained to Morven and the quarantined barns but we all need to remain aware and up to date.

Common sense wouldn't have helped. Research shows a large percentage of horses carry the virus but only shed under duress. The vector horse in for colic appears to be one of them. It happens. We can do our best to keep horses safe yet some things are out of our control.

All we can do now is pray for recovery for the ones affected and a quick and total containment.

Well said, Fredsaid....

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
bjsangel said:
What's wrong with a little caution and awareness? Maybe this wouldn't have happened at all if everyone practiced some common sense. Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the horses they have just where they are for now. Your horses have no choice where you take them and what you do with them, but you do. Be responsible!

I am certainly not trying to "disrespect" anyone, and just as so many things I see in life, you can have "panic or over reaction" rule your life. The World Trade Center for instance was horrific, but I didn't let it keep me from going places (well maybe a couple places). If I have a bad fall off of a horse I don't think "I should stay away from horses" (maybe just a few crazy ones). I just take precautions to make myself as safe as I can be without limiting myself because of fear. Of course everyone should use "common sense", but obviously we disagree with what common sense is. I think if you go some place like a show, use your own water buckets and don't let your horse visit with the other horses, especially the ones you don't know. STuff like that. You probably think: don't go anywhere. There is nothing wrong with either vision. They are just different. I apologize if you felt like I was disrespecting your fear. It was not my intent. I just want people to get the facts when they are spreading rumors, so we can make educated decisions about how we live our lives. Enough philosophy for today?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
fredsaid2 said:
Your horse must have internet access and be up to date on current events :lmao:

One of my horses was psychic and saw this coming, she's been refusing to get on the trailer for a couple of years!! :lmao:

K

Katie

SouthernMdRocks said:
One of my horses was psychic and saw this coming, she's been refusing to get on the trailer for a couple of years!! :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

fredsaid2

SouthernMdRocks said:

I'll run with this too...he's not a bad loader, he's just very intuitive! :killingme

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sadielady said:
I just take precautions to make myself as safe as I can be without limiting myself because of fear. Of course everyone should use "common sense", but obviously we disagree with what common sense is. I think if you go some place like a show, use your own water buckets and don't let your horse visit with the other horses, especially the ones you don't know. STuff like that.

:yeahthat: