Elderly Couple leave Cats behind

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
An elderly couple we know passed within 8 months of each other. They left behind 2 cats that are looking for a home.

One male, one female, both fixed. BIG cats, very sweet, both purr a storm. They look like siblings, but I don't know that for sure. Between 5 and 8 yrs old.

I currently have them at my house, but my cat is so far hating them. They are totally not aggressive, but the boy is so big he's intimidating my little girl cat.

If you can offer these guys a home, please PM me. I am not going to allow cats that found themselves without a home through such circumstances go to the shelter. They are used to being so loved, but I think they'd be happier in a home without another cat.

frequentflier

happy to be living
An elderly couple we know passed within 8 months of each other. They left behind 2 cats that are looking for a home.

One male, one female, both fixed. BIG cats, very sweet, both purr a storm. They look like siblings, but I don't know that for sure. Between 5 and 8 yrs old.

I currently have them at my house, but my cat is so far hating them. They are totally not aggressive, but the boy is so big he's intimidating my little girl cat.

If you can offer these guys a home, please PM me. I am not going to allow cats that found themselves without a home through such circumstances go to the shelter. They are used to being so loved, but I think they'd be happier in a home without another cat.

Rehoming adult cats together is always a challenge. The poor kitties were probably mourning the loss of their owners and are now confused in their new (temporary) home. I do hope you find them a great place for them to live their lives out.

When we redid our wills, we have provisions for the care of our pets including money to care for them. Since neither of us have children or even family close by, we know no one in our families would step in and take them.

Reactions: BOP

my-thyme

Patron
They'll stay here if no one steps up. They are very chill, used to living with an older couple. I'm told they're indoor/outdoor, so once the weather breaks everyone may be happier with them out most of the time.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Tomorrow will make 3 weeks since we adopted a 12 1/2 year old kitty that her previous people could not keep due to health reasons (theirs got bad).
She is getting used to having (2) 4 1/2 year old cat brothers.

Last edited:

SugarBear47

Same thing happened in my neighborhood, family left 2 cats. They are so scared and won't let me near them. I feed them twice a day and made them an insulated place out of the cold (the rubbermaid type). They are getting more used to me now. It's so sad to just abandon your pets.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Blue is our second 2nd-Hand kitty.
The semi-famous Miss Teia was our first, who we got from her former people.

my-thyme

Patron
@my-thyme Post some pics of the fellas.

This is Sox, the boy.

When I try to upload a pic of the girl, I get a too large error message.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
When I try to upload a pic of the girl, I get a too large error message.
We allow a max upload size of 5MB and then resize them down when we get them. Problem is that most of these cameras create huge files for each photo because of the default resolution setting. Most people just want to upload to the net these days and don't really need all of those pixels.

If we increase the upload max to 6MB, then someone tries a 7MB file 🙀

Anyway, you'll have to reduce the file to under 5MB. I just use my photo software and shrink everything down to 1024 pixels wide before uploading.

There are probably 100 different ways to reduce the photo file size, so its hard to suggest any one. If you mainly upload your pics, look into setting the default photo size/resolution on your camera/phone to a lower setting. That will save a lot of space on your device too.

my-thyme

Patron
What a sweet boy!
Are you looking down at him from behind the chair? For instance, is he laying on a seat cushion with his legs on the pink material which is the chair back? It's a little confusing.
yeah, I'm standing behind the chair. uh, HIS chair.

my-thyme

Patron

And this is Freckles, she showed up at the house 2 yrs ago, couldn't have been 6 wks old, tiny. She LOVES hubby, barely tolerates me.

As long as the two stay away from her bed, she likes them Ok. She's even been known to try to play with them, but it quickly dissolves into a cat fight. And she ends up trying to spit out a mouth full of fur.

my-thyme

Patron
I would never choose to have a female cat, they are so stand-off-ish. Just like Sox, male cats are so chill and much more friendly (in my many years of cat experience).