Elderly dog,what to do?

mamatutu

mama to two
Agreed. This tread is dead. Outcome being owner of said dog is a massive prick and 235 is a moron. Sure hope dog is feeling better despite his prick daddy.

K...Yes, hopefully, this tread is dead. That word is kind of ironic. But, I just want you to be ok. I was very hurt by Budd, as I know, you were, too, as well, as Kat, and others. My Pollyana shows up now and then, and I just want everyone to be ok. I guess my peace frog is just an updated version of my Pollyananess. :lol: Everything works out, but we have to contribute to it...it doesn't work out all by itself. Group hug! :huggy::huggy::huggy: That includes you, too, Budd!

Last edited:

ladyhawk

And maybe you forgot or maybe don't know, that those things your speak of is a learned behavior. Not one that is natural to a dog who for all their life has been healthy?!?!

Sorry but I have to put my 2 cents in for what its worth...

Feeling vibrations are not a "learned behavior", even in the wild.. This is one reason animals know of earthquakes and other disasters before we humans do.... Additionally when an animal and/or human looses an ability, be it their hearing or their eyesight, other abilities are enhanced making up for that loss.. One reason they don't live as long in the wild as they do in captivity.

My vet has always told me when the time comes, I will know. If I hadn't, my lab would have starved to death, which would have been the outcome had she been in the wild.

I know the time is coming for my shep/collie mix within the next few years. As long as he continues to be happy and in no pain, I don't have to worry about it. In the meantime, all I can do is prepare myself for whats to come....

I was glad to see that budscreekman found someone to groom his dog. I'm sure when the time comes, he too will know its time. For those who truly love their animals, no one really knows whats best except those that care for them..

Thanks,
June

KDENISE977

Okay. Your opinion is fine. Mine came from my vet when my dog was losing her sense of sight and her ability to hear was diminishing because she was so advanced in age.

Roman

Okay. Your opinion is fine. Mine came from my vet when my dog was losing her sense of sight and her ability to hear was diminishing because she was so advanced in age.
As with all mammals, I suspect that as we age, our hearing & sight diminishes, but to call that a quality of Life issue, makes no sense to me. My Daughter's In-Laws are both profoundly Deaf, and they are perfectly happy People. I am totally Blind in one eye, and because of my age...let's just say, the GOOD Eye is no longer 20/20. I work, and I drive!! I guess the point that I am trying to make K, is that even with diminished scenses, there is STILL quality of Life. Now if the animal had to be Slinged, to go outside to relieve itself, and it was in pain...that's a different story. Budd's Dog is just OLD, and Crotchety, and has been a biter, I think..from the beginning. Sorry Lance, I couldn't help myself!!

KDENISE977

So it`s obvious y`all r gonna milk this this thread til itz worse than a floater. :killingme

thatz ok, if that person has to vent, no prob; but there is a much better outlet 4 that silliness, like ok, thnx 4 y`alls input. Yet callin y`all Ladies that bad word just assured sum1 that it just aint rite. PERIOD. Don`t give a flip how bad sum1 is po`d. That display of stupidity & immaturity by an adult or any1 can get sum1 in worse than deep chit.

Canines do have natural instincts, besides learned reward responses. it`s called i`m hungry feed me, if u piss me off I`ll bite yr ass. Thatz all yas need is a buncha Zombie Dogs runnin loose. :))

Sum may call it bein deaf, but sumtimes it may b "selective listening".

I agree, enough is enough. Yes he showed his ass. Yes some people have dogs that live to be 100 (not many and I fail to see how that's an example because it's not the norm). My point is and will always be, if they have little or no quality of life, it's no different than a person. Good luck to all. I hope the dog is fabulous and I hope everyone has a super day.. Done w/this tread

Lilypad

K...Yes, hopefully, this tread is dead. That word is kind of ironic. But, I just want you to be ok. I was very hurt by Budd, as I know, you were, too, as well, as Kat, and others. My Pollyana shows up now and then, and I just want everyone to be ok. I guess my peace frog is just an updated version of my Pollyananess. :lol: Everything works out, but we have to contribute to it...it doesn't work out all by itself. Group hug! :huggy::huggy::huggy: That includes you, too, Budd!

Hey mamatutu-how about this lil froggy.......

Attachments

• karma.jpg
    karma.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 119

Hank

my war
We have an extremely old dog who has progressed to the point where grooming is near impossible. He can't hear or see very well,and is a known biter to everyone except my wife. She can do minimal things,like brushing,but beyond that,he will bite her as well. Our vet is not willing to prescribe Ace to him to allow us to groom him/clip nails,because she says it is a liability issue due to his age. I'm sure he is a risky one to sedate at his age,but I also think his quality of life comes before quantity. We want him to be given the meds,and are willing to accept the outcome if it isn't a good one. He is really in need of a shave down and nail trim,and we've asked three vets so far to no avail. Any suggestions? We don't want to put him to sleep. We've tried every groomer between here and Annapolis and he let them all know he will bite-so don't even bother giving groomer suggestions.

Here are some local groomers for you....

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...ei=Gi44UKalMtOv6gHj2YG4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CJUBELYD

:lmao:

mamatutu

mama to two
KDENISE,BayKat,Joe....you all are very wrong about this. To say a pet isn't a family member,and that I am just looking for a vet to kill my dog is retarded. Why would I pay for sedation,and grooming,in a roundabout way of putting him to sleep? As for me getting personal,this is personal. I love my dog.You're a couple of self righteous c***ts. I never lashed out or was hateful until now,nor was I looking for compassion and understanding. I asked for info,and I got it. Karma,ladies,is my real point. BayKat,you're not getting any younger. Better hope no one sees you as an inconvenience as you get older. KDENISE,you've got little ones. Hopefully all healthy and normal,or you'll give them the ol heave ho. We got the info we needed,and even better,our dog got groomed. I guess since you all think I have some passive aggressive death wish for him and his life isn't worth living I should put him up for adoption. mamatutu - your pets seem to drop like flies. Interested?

:howdy: Hey, budd! Please read the whole thread. It will bring back old times, and you will see that nothing has changed; at least, on your part! Yes, karma is a bitch. And, here it is, in your face! :killingme

Oh, and here you go, also. Just to validate, reiterate, and ask you again to prove it.

When did I ever say I hope your dog would die as a bloody pulp? Prove that. I think you are delusional. You are a total bastage, and a sick individual. I guess you rely on the fact that members won't dig up threads about what you said about my dogs, first. Propaganda only works on followers that don't have brain cells for recall, or the motivation to look in the archive, or have no hope in their lives. Good luck with your campaign.

Some like to call me kuku, but I would never disparage, or wish any ill will towards an animal of the non human kind.

Last edited:

somdfunguy

not impressed
:howdy: Hey, budd! Please read the whole thread. It will bring back old times, and you will see that nothing has changed; at least, on your part! Yes, karma is a bitch. And, here it is, in your face! :killingme

Oh, and here you go, also. Just to validate, reiterate, and ask you again to prove it.

When did I ever say I hope your dog would die as a bloody pulp? Prove that. I think you are delusional. You are a total bastage, and a sick individual. I guess you rely on the fact that members won't dig up threads about what you said about my dogs, first. Propaganda only works on followers that don't have brain cells for recall, or the motivation to look in the archive, or have no hope in their lives. Good luck with your campaign.

Some like to call me kuku, but I would never disparage, or wish any ill will towards an animal of the non human kind.
:otter:

mamatutu

mama to two

I am not surprised you would show up. Did you bother to read your post #9, before posting today? I guess 2 children and fatherhood has dimmed your memory! :lol: Actually, I finally got you! You showed your butt! :haha:

Oh, here, in case it gets conveniently poofed.

Originally Posted by buddscreekman View Post
Don't know how much of my post you read,but I actually pointed out that we are not looking for groomer suggestions.And yes,with a biting dog a muzzle did cross our minds. That's a given,isn't it?

Our dog is much older than 16,and at his last vet check we were told that his gums went completely white during the attempt to muzzle him,and that the stress of grooming/muzzling was in itself enough to kill him. But yet they also feel being sedated is too risky as well. So we are at an impasse.

Originally Posted by somdfunguy View Post
Wow you're not only an ###hole but a whole ass as well.

Last edited:

warneckutz

I am not surprised you would show up. Did you bother to read your post #9, before posting today? I guess 2 children and fatherhood has dimmed your memory! :lol: Actually, I finally got you! You showed your butt! :haha:

Oh, here, in case it gets conveniently poofed.

:otter:

mamatutu

mama to two

You are a bully, and nothing more. I think there is a recent thread you should read on that subject. Just put me on :iggy: because you do not bother me in the least. :lol: But, then you might not have enough activity to occupy your time. I am sorry. Your dilemma, you decide. :lol:

warneckutz

You are a bully, and nothing more. I think there is a recent thread you should read on that subject. Just put me on :iggy: because you do not bother me in the least. :lol: But, then you might not have enough activity to occupy your time. I am sorry. Your dilemma, you decide. :lol:

I'm definitely a bully. :evil:

Whether I bother you or not is of no concern to me.

So, Bloody Mary time or just going straight for a box of wine or case of Buds?:otter:

mamatutu

mama to two
I'm definitely a bully. :evil:

Whether I bother you or not is of no concern to me.

So, Bloody Mary time or just going straight for a box of wine or case of Buds?:otter:

Thank you for making the point for me, and other members here. If you have no concern, then, why do you reply to me/members that did not engage you in discussion in the first place. Your sweat and glitter is showing. Go to the gym and work it out, brother. Sheesh! :cheers:

warneckutz

Thank you for making the point for me, and other members here. If you have no concern, then, why do you reply to me/members that did not engage you in discussion in the first place. Your sweat and glitter is showing. Go to the gym and work it out, brother. Sheesh! :cheers:

It's a public forum, not your forum - deal with the comments or cry about it.

Or go drown your sorrows, nobody would care.