Electric car stops in the middle of street, updates its software, locks passengers in

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Car manufactured by Nio, a Chinese car manufacturer dubbed as "China's Tesla", has confirmed that one of their cars had came to a halt in middle of a busy street in downtown Beijing. Car had stopped in Changan Avenue, which is one of the most prestigious streets in Beijing, and started a software update cycle.

The software update laste for more than an hour and during the process, the car refused to start - and had locked its passengers inside the car. According to Nio, several police officers had tries to open the car windows in order to free the passengers, but they had failed. After the software update was finished, car had resumed its normal operation.

Nio says that the driver "accidentally made a series of operations that activated the system update" during a traffic jam on Changan Avenue. After the incident the company said: "We apologised for affecting the traffic and we will optimise the upgrade confirmation logic."

glhs837

Power with Control
And thats why soooooooo much engineering goes to the human machine interface. There's foolproof, damnfoolproof, and sailor/soldier/marine proof. Those last three are theoretical states like perpetual motion, dreamed of but unachievable within our known universe.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Who wants to be in the one that updates in a RR X-ing?

Who would you like to be in it? I'm fishing for an answer.:oldman:
;)

rencer

That would be another reason why my uncle doesn't like EV's more. I was helping him installing the brake kit and American racing truck wheels on his Ram when his wife's cousin pass by on his Model S. He said how he hate the fancy tech. Can't blame him, he's a huge diesel guy anyway.

glhs837

Power with Control
That would be another reason why my uncle doesn't like EV's more. I was helping him installing the brake kit and American racing truck wheels on his Ram when his wife's cousin pass by on his Model S. He said how he hate the fancy tech. Can't blame him, he's a huge diesel guy anyway.

Why, because complete idiots can do stupid stuff and get themselves in trouble? Hate to say, that's been happening since people started making things with wheels.

the driver "accidentally made a series of operations that activated the system update" during a traffic jam on Changan Avenue.

And of course, I'm not sure how much I trust the software chops of a Chinese maker.