Electronic Coggins

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Subject: Electronic Coggins

At the April 17th meeting of the Maryland Horse Industry Board - Health Advisory Committee, Maryland State Veterinarian Dr. Guy Hohenhaus announced that the State of Maryland would accept printed copies of electronic Coggins Tests filed for Maryland horses. While the capacity to accept electronically transmitted copies of the report is not yet in place, committee members saw this as a positive step towards a paperless system. Dr. Elizabeth Callahan who represents the Maryland Association of Equine Practitioners on the committee stated that an eventual move to an electronic system would be more "accurate, efficient, cost effective, and green." For more information on animal health related issues in Maryland visit Animal Health. Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America's #1 Mapping Site.

appaholic

I am all for going green and less paper to keep up with is certainly a plus! Any idea how they will govern show horses who travel over multiple states? And if they go completely electronic will show committee be then looking up each horse? I wonder how that will all work?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
A friend gets an electronic coggins.
The vet's office mailed her a printed color paper copy :lol:
We will always need printed copies for events.
The real value is that once a coggins is done for a horse, that horse is in a database somewhere, and can always be referenced. It's also in the vet's database, and he can just pull it up from year to year. :yay:

fredsaid2

That will be nice for those 'oops!' moments when you thought you had the hard copy. Getting your hands on it w/ an internet connection will be a life saver.

appaholic

A friend gets an electronic coggins.
The vet's office mailed her a printed color paper copy :lol:
We will always need printed copies for events.
The real value is that once a coggins is done for a horse, that horse is in a database somewhere, and can always be referenced. It's also in the vet's database, and he can just pull it up from year to year. :yay:

I was truely hopping I could knock one thing off my gotta pack list, for early mornings make me forgetful, actuallly I seem to be forgetful alot! :doh: BUT, if I did forget they could look it up with internet being available almost everywhere, good.:yay:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I saw someone's last week. She just printed it off line. It had 4 colored pictures of her horse. It was really cool. It makes using a similar horse's coggins when you accidentally forget yours almost impossible, not that I know anyone who has ever done something like that.:whistle:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I think it's a good idea. I've always thought that a coggins should have the picture of the horse on it. Just because it's a 16h Bay doesn't mean its the actual one standing there. :eyebrow:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
It probably would have helped me a lot yesterday when I was standing at the agricultural stop for 2 hours with a pony that I had forgotten to get the coggins for from my mom. Finally she faxed it to them and let me go. It's a beautiful day. I need to go ride!

appaholic

:
I saw someone's last week. She just printed it off line. It had 4 colored pictures of her horse. It was really cool. It makes using a similar horse's coggins when you accidentally forget yours almost impossible, not that I know anyone who has ever done something like that.:whistle:

I am not brave enough to try it, be my luck I would get caught.... but I have thought many times I could go to an AQHA show with my gelding, just give me any chestnut who looks similiar for coggins and papers. More of his bloodline and one parent is QH, and because he is solid everyone thinks he is QH instead of an Appaloosa.

fredsaid2

I've never had a show secretary validate a coggins. As long as the name on the entry form and the one on the coggins matched we were good to go. I have had someone ask to 'borrow' mine. That was a polite 'no'.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
:

I am not brave enough to try it, be my luck I would get caught.... but I have thought many times I could go to an AQHA show with my gelding, just give me any chestnut who looks similiar for coggins and papers. More of his bloodline and one parent is QH, and because he is solid everyone thinks he is QH instead of an Appaloosa.

Haha.You can come to AQHA with me and borrow my coggins.T and B look a like in some ways haha probably more in the attitude department then anything

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I keep a 1" 3 ring binder in my truck door pocket, with plastic sleeves that hold every horses's coggins. I also keep them from year to year. The printed coggins will always be needed for events, but it may save some paperwork for the labs that actually do it.

Emailed .pdfs of coggins would be real nice. I make pdf's of all mine so i can send them when i send off reservations that require them. I also send them to the SMTR president, for the records. We keep a current copy in the file and bring it to all rides, if you provide one. :biggrin:

What i can see is the potential for big brother to be able to track who has horses for any NSAID movement. But there are also other reasons for tracking horses, development of equine facilities funding based on equine ownership base per county/state etc, luxury taxing.... :blahblah:

appaholic

Haha.You can come to AQHA with me and borrow my coggins.T and B look a like in some ways haha probably more in the attitude department then anything

Thank you, they are good boys most of the time. And right now Turbo is the only male in the family Not in the dog house! :evil: I got the little ones back for misbehaving on mommy day, no TV this week and they must completely clean up the playroom and their bedroom, SHOWROOM CLEAN! Now on to hubby!:evil::evil:

appaholic

I keep a 1" 3 ring binder in my truck door pocket, with plastic sleeves that hold every horses's coggins. I also keep them from year to year. The printed coggins will always be needed for events, but it may save some paperwork for the labs that actually do it.

Emailed .pdfs of coggins would be real nice. I make pdf's of all mine so i can send them when i send off reservations that require them. I also send them to the SMTR president, for the records. We keep a current copy in the file and bring it to all rides, if you provide one. :biggrin:

What i can see is the potential for big brother to be able to track who has horses for any NSAID movement. But there are also other reasons for tracking horses, development of equine facilities funding based on equine ownership base per county/state etc, luxury taxing.... :blahblah:

I think I am going to do the same, just leave it in the trailer/truck!:buddies: Now I will not forget!

BlissfulJumper

Thank you, they are good boys most of the time. And right now Turbo is the only male in the family Not in the dog house! :evil: I got the little ones back for misbehaving on mommy day, no TV this week and they must completely clean up the playroom and their bedroom, SHOWROOM CLEAN! Now on to hubby!:evil::evil:

ha i feel sorry for those poor boys. i dont even wanna know what hubby has to do! We havent heard from you in awhile...we miss you! are you going to MW in a few weeks?

appaholic

ha i feel sorry for those poor boys. i dont even wanna know what hubby has to do! We havent heard from you in awhile...we miss you! are you going to MW in a few weeks?

Thats nice to hear.:smoochy: I am planning on going to MW somehow, but it will be crazy next week! On Thurs. our daughter and future son in law both graduate, so some of the future in laws that we have not meet are coming in and unfortunately they are having a party for the kids Sat. night so we must attend for awhile! Plus we have a good friend who is getting married on Sat. day. I truely want to go to these events ,but what bad timing!:smack::lmao: So who knows how I will get us ready but I am going to try!
How about you guys!

BlissfulJumper

Thats nice to hear.:smoochy: I am planning on going to MW somehow, but it will be crazy next week! On Thurs. our daughter and future son in law both graduate, so some of the future in laws that we have not meet are coming in and unfortunately they are having a party for the kids Sat. night so we must attend for awhile! Plus we have a good friend who is getting married on Sat. day. I truely want to go to these events ,but what bad timing!:smack::lmao: So who knows how I will get us ready but I am going to try!
How about you guys!

If it was me, I would say screw the family and go to the horse show but then again I am a teenager. We are going doing Walk/Trot Junior something or other and pointing it it then Novice junior canter and then pattern and hunter hack. He's really coming along! I'm so glad! Oh, When would be a good time to catch donna at your place? I wanna takl to her about trailers.