Electronics people and cable TV

limblips

PREMO Member
Came home to a dead TV and no internet. Troubleshot it for a bit and narrowed it down to a bad 4 way splitter. Changed it and bingo, internet and TV. In all my years of playing with this stuff this is the first time I have seen a splitter go bad. Anybody else ever seen one go bad?

TPD

the poor dad
Came home to a dead TV and no internet. Troubleshot it for a bit and narrowed it down to a bad 4 way splitter. Changed it and bingo, internet and TV. In all my years of playing with this stuff this is the first time I have seen a splitter go bad. Anybody else ever seen one go bad?

yup

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I sucks to trouble shoot.
How long did it take?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It sucks to trouble shoot a gripe like that.
Time consuming.
All in how you approach it. First step when dealing with something like that is to take a section of cable and just use a single coupler to run it to one device from the main feed. If that works culprit found.

limblips

PREMO Member
I sucks to trouble shoot.
How long did it take?
About 2 hours. I did what Ken King said. I wanted to first verify I had service from the pole so I hooked a spare piece of cable directly to the main feed and the cable box. It worked so I eliminated the feed. Next I fed each leg off the splitter directly one at a time to verify the individual cables. All checked good so all indications were the splitter but I was doubting because I had never seen one go bad but went and bought one anyway. I was really happy when it worked because the next step was going in to the crawl space and my fat butt barely fits down there.

Grumpy

Had that issue long time ago and had a tech check things out, his advice was ALWAYS buy a quality splitter. He said most problems inside a house are due to cheap splitters or too many splitters.

PeoplesElbow

I'm not sure of the frequency range of digital cable but I'd recommend a powered distribution amp if splitting it more than three ways.

It also helps if your house has RG-6 instead of RG-59 and use high quality compression fittings.

limblips

PREMO Member
I'm not sure of the frequency range of digital cable but I'd recommend a powered distribution amp if splitting it more than three ways.

It also helps if your house has RG-6 instead of RG-59 and use high quality compression fittings.
RG-6 throughout. The splitter was from my Direct TV experiment which was a very dismal failure.