Elementary Schools in Charles County

Okiegirl

We are planning on relocating to Waldorf early next year and have narrowed down the two elementary schools we like best in the area based on various school rating websites. So far it looks like Wade and Berry are our first picks. Can anyone give us any insight into these schools and the neighborhoods in those areas?

I called the school district and they said the maps are so big to find out where you should live for each school district you have to come in and review the maps in the office or as a last resort call them with an address. We won't be house hunting until late Oct or early Nov but would like to have some information from people who live there and not just from real estate agents.

Thanks

SxyPrincess

Both are pretty good schools, and have good neighborhoods for each. You're best bet is finding housing off Berry Road (Route 228) or around Billingsley Road.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
For Wade elementary, check Dorchestor Neighborhood and possibly Hampshire Neighborhood, both off Smallwodd Drive in the Westlake area. I beleive most of Billingsley Road are zoned for JC Parks which is also a good elementary school.

SxyPrincess

Both Dorchester and Hampshire are good neighborhoods, but I'd stay a little farther away from Waldorf as possible. :biggrin: If you're able to purchase a nice home with a little bit of land, and not in a big neighborhood, go for it!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I know nothing about the two schools you mentioned, except for knowing vaguely where they are, but when we were looking at houses in Charles County last year, everyone kept telling us about how Malcolm Elementary was a "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence." This surprised me at first because I went there (many, many years ago). It is in a rural area not far from where there used to be an open-air drug market. In fact, I went to school with all the drug dealers kids and younger siblings. I never knew any of the dealers to approach the school though.

That area was cleared out a few years ago and it is once again safe to drive through without being propositioned or attacked. As far as I know the dealers were all arrested or dispursed, and like I said, they stayed away from the school anyway.

I've seen the school from the outside recently and it has relatively new playground equipment and the tennis courts looked to be well maintained.

We ended up moving to St Mary's County, but while I was checking out Malcolm, I noticed that the PE teacher there was the same man who taught me. He started there fresh out of college. I think it was about 1976 and there were 3-4 PE teachers that came and went that year, he was the last. I think it says a lot about the school that he choose to stay there when many teachers move on after a couple of years. There were other names on the faculty list there who sounded familiar to me as well, teachers who probably taught my younger brother.

Okiegirl

Thank you

Thanks for all the great information

Just wanted to see if there any parents of children who attend elementary school in Waldorf out there. If so, can you provide any specific information about the school they attend?

Do you like their teachers, the principal, your community? or anything else you want to share?

Thanks