Elijah Cummings - RIP

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Only 68? Wow he was only 8 years older than I am. Just from looking at him, I was sure he was at least 78.

His soul is out of my hands and above my pay grade, but in his time here on earth he sure didn't serve his constituents of Baltimore very well.

Kyle

Just being a fly in the ointment...
PREMO Member
Rep. Elijah Cummings, the powerful House Democrat who represented Baltimore for more than two decades and was a vocal critic of President Trump, died early Thursday after battling health problems, his office said in a statement

Cummings, who was 68, died at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, his hometown. As chair of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, he was one of the most powerful Democrats in Washington, and played a key role in the House Democrats' ongoing efforts to impeach Trump.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Sad for his family, sadly good for MD.
He was well loved by MDers; especially folks in Baltimore. A lot of blame is thrown on him about the conditions in Baltimore, but there are far more people responsible for that than Cummings. I don't think anything will change as a result of his passing.

But, I am sad for his family that he had to go so young.

This_person

He was well loved by MDers; especially folks in Baltimore. A lot of blame is thrown on him about the conditions in Baltimore, but there are far more people responsible for that than Cummings. I don't think anything will change as a result of his passing.

But, I am sad for his family that he had to go so young.
As Congressional Representative, he's not responsible for the conditions in Baltimore.

He was well loved by some MDers, especially in his gerrymandered district (it seems, since he was re-elected repeatedly). Not sure that made him good for MD - even his gerrymandered district.

BOP

Sad for his family, sadly good for MD.
So, happy ending or not?

My knee-jerk reaction was "good; no telling how much damage he's done or could still do," but then I remembered a) his family is likely in mourning, and b) he's only a few years older than me. So: mixed blessing.

glhs837

Power with Control
As Congressional Representative, he's not responsible for the conditions in Baltimore.

He was well loved by some MDers, especially in his gerrymandered district (it seems, since he was re-elected repeatedly). Not sure that made him good for MD - even his gerrymandered district.

Pretty sure that you have something to do with conditions in your district. Either ignoring them and playing the DC power game, or working for thier benefit and ensuring your district gets it's share of the endless stream of money pouring out of DC. Either of those things affect the conditions in your district.

This_person

So, happy ending or not?

My knee-jerk reaction was "good; no telling how much damage he's done or could still do," but then I remembered a) his family is likely in mourning, and b) he's only a few years older than me. So: mixed blessing.
As with the other thread of that title, I don't see it as a happy ending. Unless a person is in great pain and chooses of their own volition to die (and even then it's more sad than happy) there's really no such thing as a death being a happy ending, in my opinion.

I would offer his family my prayers, but I understand they think there's no value in sending my thoughts and prayers. To respect their wishes, I will not do so.

The blessing for MD to lose such a contentious, divisive, racist person such as Rep Cummings would have been happy had it been at the polls. To have this blessing come from an unexpected and likely undesired death is not a happy one for me.

herb749

I asked my wife, are health challenges the new health issues .?

Its sad for his family with his passing. Its more sad for his new wife who has lost her connections.

This_person

Pretty sure that you have something to do with conditions in your district. Either ignoring them and playing the DC power game, or working for thier benefit and ensuring your district gets it's share of the endless stream of money pouring out of DC. Either of those things affect the conditions in your district.
One can certainly try and take money from others and use it in the way you describe, but I believe the conditions in a local area are the responsibility of the local people (first and foremost), and of the local government individuals like police, mayors and councilmen, commissioners, dog catchers, etc., etc. If we are going to blame government for conditions, the level we should probably start with is school boards as the key government to blame. Personally, I blame we, the people, much more than the government for local conditions.

BOP

One can certainly try and take money from others and use it in the way you describe, but I believe the conditions in a local area are the responsibility of the local people (first and foremost), and of the local government individuals like police, mayors and councilmen, commissioners, dog catchers, etc., etc. If we are going to blame government for conditions, the level we should probably start with is school boards as the key government to blame. Personally, I blame we, the people, much more than the government for local conditions.
Well, there's a conundrum when most of the people in your district, and you yourself believe that all life in America should be in the hands of the Federal (and to a lesser extent the state, as executor of/for) government to improve the quality of life for one and all. Who exactly do you blame when things are not the Utopian dream that an all-knowing, all-powerful Government is supposed to bring about?

This_person

Well, there's a conundrum when most of the people in your district, and you yourself believe that all life in America should be in the hands of the Federal (and to a lesser extent the state, as executor of/for) government to improve the quality of life for one and all. Who exactly do you blame when things are not the Utopian dream that an all-knowing, all-powerful Government is supposed to bring about?
As I say, I see that as a failure of the school system (if we want to blame government) and the parents/individuals (if we want to go with reality), not a conundrum.

SamSpade

I'm guessing the guy who wrote the article will do a quick edit --

""He was not just a great congressman, he was a great man," House Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said on MSNBC Thursday morning. "