Elijah Cummings - RIP

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
He was young compared to the top three vying for the Dem nomination.

I've heard it said that people of similar professions pass in three's, if true, any one care to speculate on the next two?

Hijinx

A question.???

Does the Governor get to appoint someone to take his place for the remainder of his term?
Can the Governor appoint a Republican or does it have to be a Democrat?

Sorry---that's two questions.

If the Governor makes an appointment we will see what party he really belongs to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A question.???

Does the Governor get to appoint someone to take his place for the remainder of his term?
Can the Governor appoint a Republican or does it have to be a Democrat?

Sorry---that's two questions.

If the Governor makes an appointment we will see what party he really belongs to.
Not that I want to take up for Larry Hogan, but the appointed replacement is typically of the same Party as the person who died. I mean, Hogan can appoint a Republican, but that would be unusual.

Hijinx

Not that I want to take up for Larry Hogan, but the appointed replacement is typically of the same Party as the person who died. I mean, Hogan can appoint a Republican, but that would be unusual.
It's a chance to see if he can grow a pair.

Hijinx

Sorry----that was the first thought that crossed my mind.,

Of course he will appoint another black Democrat from Baltimore.
Maybe one of the outed Mayors that are looking for a job.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
US Constitution, Article 1, section 2, clause 4 - When vacancies happen in the Representation from any state, the executive authority thereof shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't like it that just his district will get to vote.
But that is how it works in every House election. Only those in the district get to choose their representative. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the great folk of Baltimore picking your Rep (though I doubt it would make a difference especially in MD).

Kyle

Just being a fly in the ointment...
PREMO Member
But that is how it works in every House election. Only those in the district get to choose their representative. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want the great folk of Baltimore picking your Rep (though I doubt it would make a difference especially in MD).
Imagine something worse than Steny.