Email Spam

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My question is: When you click their links to unsubscribe to their spam, does that really work? Or are you just passing along your email addy to some other schmuck business?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
AFAIK the general rule of thumb is ignore the email and use whatever spam filter your service provider has to 'flag' the sender

unless you know it is a legit company just advertising then the 'unsubscribe' button should work as intended

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
AFAIK the general rule of thumb is ignore the email and use whatever spam filter your service provider has to 'flag' the sender

unless you know it is a legit company just advertising then the 'unsubscribe' button should work as intended
That's what I thought. I did unsubscribe to some legit companies. I tried with some I didn't recognize and now receive more obscure ones. Lesson learned.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My question is: When you click their links to unsubscribe to their spam, does that really work? Or are you just passing along your email addy to some other schmuck business?

If it's a reputable company that you know, unsubscribing will remove you from their mailing list. If it's some random spammer you've never heard of, they are culling your email and unsubscribing lets them know they've got a live one.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If it's a reputable company that you know, unsubscribing will remove you from their mailing list. If it's some random spammer you've never heard of, they are culling your email and unsubscribing lets them know they've got a live one.
Me so dumb. :bonk:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
My company sends us spam e-mails and that are potential security risks and lectures us about how stupid we are if we open them. When they are real but we don't open them because we think they're spam, we get a lecture about how stupid we are for not opening them. It just occurred to me, I may actually work for Transporter.

Goldenhawk

I pay a few bucks a year to put all my personal email thru a spam-filtering service before it gets to my server. On average I get less than one spam email a week, and very few phishing attempts, maybe a couple a year that are clever enough to make it thru the filter. The daily quarantine report listing the few "might be real but we didn't deliver it" is all I do see, and most of those are legit but are just junkmail I don't want to read.

The service is worth every penny; the log reports show me the thousands of deflected attempts per week, and I haven't gotten an actual malware email in years.

So when something with an unsubscribe link hits my inbox, and it's from a company I actually did interact with, the Unsubscribe link is valid and is usually honored promptly.

A while ago I had to switch from Verizon email to AOL. Verizon got out of the email biz and just did a free convert to AOL. Have to say, the AOL spam filters are great. I used to get tons of spam, now I get virtually nothing. I check the spam box once in a while to make sure a legit email didn't get caught.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
A while ago I had to switch from Verizon email to AOL. Verizon got out of the email biz and just did a free convert to AOL. Have to say, the AOL spam filters are great. I used to get tons of spam, now I get virtually nothing. I check the spam box once in a while to make sure a legit email didn't get caught.
:sshrug: We still use our Verizon email address. No issues.