Emergency medical - tourniquets are back, time to up my first aid kit

glhs837

Power with Control
So a new rider on the r/motorcycles reddit was asking about what to use for a tourniquet. I know they dont recommend them for "amateur" use, but what surprised me was that a few combat medics and one inner city EMT all recommended this product, along with some of that fast clotting agent and a chest wound seal. Evidently the Army found them 100% effective and reduced fatality by exsanguination by 85%.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'll use the old Boy Scout method: A piece of shirt and 2 sticks, small stick next to the skin and a large stick to tighten. Kinda sucks if it's a head wound...

Tech

Its use reenter ems several years ago, the fear of permanent damage was unfounded if definitive care occured in a timely manner.

OldHillcrestGuy

That new type tourniquet may have saved a drivers life early this morning in Charles County after accident on Charles St. CCSO had to apply 2 of them to a driver who had crashed and was trapped in his vehicle before fire and ems arrived.

black dog

Free America
So a new rider on the r/motorcycles reddit was asking about what to use for a tourniquet. I know they dont recommend them for "amateur" use, but what surprised me was that a few combat medics and one inner city EMT all recommended this product, along with some of that fast clotting agent and a chest wound seal. Evidently the Army found them 100% effective and reduced fatality by exsanguination by 85%.

Thats what the MC's have been issuing for awhile now. Theses are the second or third generation.
The SOF-T is a higher quality tourniquet.
The grunts practice a few times a month with them. These are a big reason along with all troops learning how to use them properly is why so many grunts come home missing limbs instead of a coffin..