EMT/Paramedic Question

ceceliaocadhain

I was wondering if a paid paramedic career was something that could be pursued in Southern Maryland. I'm very interested in becoming certified and volunteering but it's discouraging that this area doesn't appear to have paid employees in this field. That being said we are very lucky that we have so many volunteers watching out for us all. Any information on volunteer vs. paid EMS in the area would be a great help.

Thanks so much

RPMDAD

I know Calvert Co., is 100% volunteer. Think St. Mary's is 100% volunteer Can not swear about about Charles . I know PG county has Paid, and i think some volunteer Depts.

mdff21

Charles County has a Career Paramedic staff. Prince Georges and Anne Arundel Counties have Career/Volunteer staffing. The career people work a 24/72 hour shift in both departments. You might want to try Montgomery and Howard Counties. They both are starting to build the career side and looking for paramedics. Not sure on the shifts, but it is at least a 24/48 hour shift.

OldHillcrestGuy

Only county in Southern Maryland that have paid career is Charles County. They have both EMT's and Paramedics that are paid and run out of, I think 8 different stations, and at least one ambulance staffed 24/7 in those stations.
The stations are volunteer stations, the career staff uses volunteer ambulance's for the most part. If a station might only have one ambulance in service and the other may be out of service for some reason the county does have maybe 2 or 3 of their own which they will use as backups.

RPMDAD

Thanks guys and gals, like i stated only had full knowledge about Cal. Co. Was pretty sure about the others but not 100% positive.

PRIVATEYE

Charles County has a Career Paramedic staff. Prince Georges and Anne Arundel Counties have Career/Volunteer staffing. The career people work a 24/72 hour shift in both departments. You might want to try Montgomery and Howard Counties. They both are starting to build the career side and looking for paramedics. Not sure on the shifts, but it is at least a 24/48 hour shift.

PG Co. has multiple shifts... day shift 0700-1500 and 24/72... 0700-0700.

NAS Patuxent River is NDW (Naval District Washington) Fire - all positions with them are advertised through USAJOBS.

BigDogT

There are some private transport companies that hire in this area as well. Not sure of any openings, but I have seen a job opening pop up from time to time for AAA and one of the other companies in the St. Marys area.....

Roman

All American Ambulance only hires already trained EMT-Paramedics. They do not pay for the education, unless things have changed. Your best, and cheapest bet is to join a local department, and get the education for free through the county in which you live. If you are already an EMT, that's a plus. You have to go through College to become a Paramedic, so check with the College of your choice, to see if they offer it there. College of Southern Maryland offers it.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I do recommend volunteering before you jump into it if you don't have any experience in the field. Volunteering is really the best way to see if you're cut out for the job before you try to start a career in the field. We have a variety of calls (both EMS and fire) that can test your patience and mental stamina. If you don't like it doing in your free time, you probably won't like it being paid for it. Good luck! :yay:

Roman

I do recommend volunteering before you jump into it if you don't have any experience in the field. Volunteering is really the best way to see if you're cut out for the job before you try to start a career in the field. We have a variety of calls (both EMS and fire) that can test your patience and mental stamina. If you don't like it doing in your free time, you probably won't like it being paid for it. Good luck! :yay:
When I got my EMT, the College offered it, so I took the Class mainly because I was following a Nursing Path. I took EMT on a whim. My Professor recomended I join a local Department, so I did. This was at Mid-Term. It helped knowing the ops of the Department, when it came to my State Boards. Luckily..I found that I loved Emergency Medicine, and was pretty good at it. So yes G1G4, I totally agree to join up first. Your fellow EMT's will be more than willing to help, and by observing what they do in the field, helps with your studies, as well as lets you know if you can handle it.

ceceliaocadhain

Thanks so much to everyone who's replied. Lots of food for thought. The leonardtown squad mentions observation rides on their website. I assume all locations offer this?