End-of-Life Option Act

Misfit

Lawful neutral

mudpuddle

I am in favor for it. We are more humane towards euthanizing animals when they are in pain, than we are to people. And I believe that human pain and suffering is on a different and worse level than say dogs/horses, etc.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Hopefully one day we'll be humane enough to euthanize those that cause pain and suffering in others.

Auntie Biache'

I am in favor for it. We are more humane towards euthanizing animals when they are in pain, than we are to people. And I believe that human pain and suffering is on a different and worse level than say dogs/horses, etc.
First they take away your pain pills, then they legalize assisted suicide. Interesting.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
First they take away your pain pills, then they legalize assisted suicide. Interesting.
Allow me to add that the government also is closer to being the sole health care provider.

This will not end well.

--- End of line (MCP)

luvmygdaughters

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've always thought it strange that we wont let our four legged family members suffer in pain, but, our two legged members have no choice but to do so. If its their choice and it can be proven and documented that this is their decision, I am all for it.

If someone is terminal and in excruciating pain they should have the right to chose to be put to permanent sleep. It is not humane to force them into prolonged suffering because some righteous person says they suffer in the name of 'moral code'.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If someone is terminal and in excruciating pain they should have the right to chose to be put to permanent sleep. It is not humane to force them into prolonged suffering because some righteous person says they suffer in the name of 'moral code'.
If only it were so binary.

I'm not taking a side in this current thread, but will say that studies have shown that people can deal with much more than they think they can, that people in the position being used here as the "strawman" don't always have a good track record of good choices, that those surrounding the "strawman" have been known to be involved in "gaslighting" (to include medical personnel), and that once the government is involved (as it surely will be) it hasn't gone well (some of the case studies from the NL don't do anything to make me feel better about the whole thing...).

I think I would be more on board (as a libertarian) with personal autonomy in end-of-life decisions if it weren't for the fact that we have constructed a system for this that requires the participation of others. And when we require the participation of others we give these "others" a say in the matter. That bothers me.

--- End of line (MCP)

Auntie Biache'

They should also be able to choose a pain free life. Who would want to live without being able to control their pain? I just find it interesting that everyone is losing their pain meds, and now they want to offer assisted suicide. You don't find that interesting?

They should also be able to choose a pain free life. Who would want to live without being able to control their pain? I just find it interesting that everyone is losing their pain meds, and now they want to offer assisted suicide. You don't find that interesting?
It sounds like you are talking about chronic people and not terminally ill people with only a short time left. I am not aware of terminally ill people no longer being allowed to get morphine or other meds. I have seen loved ones that even morphine didn't help and if they wanted a medicinal quicker end to their misery I would be all for it.

Auntie Biache'

It sounds like you are talking about chronic people and not terminally ill people with only a short time left. I am not aware of terminally ill people no longer being allowed to get morphine or other meds. I have seen loved ones that even morphine didn't help and if they wanted a medicinal quicker end to their misery I would be all for it.
Terminally ill doesn't always mean you're dying tomorrow. I also don't believe this will stop with the "terminally ill". It will become an option for anyone who feels they no longer have quality of life due to pain that they can't manage, because, God forbid, they become hooked on pain pills.

Terminally ill doesn't always mean you're dying tomorrow. I also don't believe this will stop with the "terminally ill". It will become an option for anyone who feels they no longer have quality of life due to pain that they can't manage, because, God forbid, they become hooked on pain pills.
I believe a human being should have the choice to chose quality of life over quantity and it is nobody else's moral outrage should have a say in their choice... especially strangers.

Auntie Biache'

I believe a human being should have the choice to chose quality of life over quantity and it is nobody else's moral outrage should have a say in their choice... especially strangers.

I'm not suggesting anyone not have a choice. I'm suggesting that they have more than one choice.

I'm not suggesting anyone not have a choice. I'm suggesting that they have more than one choice.
I've witnessed many die (as recently as last year) and I've yet to witness someone not being allowed pain meds so I cannot relate to what you are implying. Are you saying you know of someone terminal that was denied pain meds and left to sit/lay suffering until they finally died a horrific death?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Agree completely.

I'm not afraid to die, but I am terrified of having a prolonged death process where I suffer and burden my family.

I guess it's a personal decision, as a Catholic I wouldn't entertain it for myself but I'm curious what the implications would be insurance wise if someone decided on that route.
I just did a searchie on it and in a nutshell "The reason assisted suicide is not considered an issue for life insurance is a relatively simple one. Physicians are only allowed, by law, to help someone end their life if that person is already suffering from a terminal condition."

Clem72

Everyone is losing their pain meds? Yeah, that's not true in the slightest. Some opiod derivatives are being looked at for tighter controls. But they aren't being eliminated, and more to the point the stronger pain meds (that don't provide as much of a euphoric high) are not affected at all.