Endometrial Ablation

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Anybody had one ? If you're willing to share your experience either here or thru a PM , I'd appreciate it ! TIA ... Hope everyone made it thru the storms :coffee:

southern bell

I had it done last Nov. I had the surgery one day and went to work the next. I had a little cramping for a couple days but I have no other complaints. It has worked wonders for me and I haven't felt this well in years. I'm sure your Dr. will inform you on any side effects you may need to be aware of! :yahoo:
:cartwheel:cartwheel

crickett55

ablation process

i had this two years ago. it was really a lifesaver cause i had developed severe anemia. it is an out patient surgery where they actually go in and destroy the uterine lining. i had some mild pain afterwards but nothing the pain meds can't zap pronto. if you need this done seriously consider it because a hysterectomy etc. is very invasive and requires alot more recouperation time.--cricket

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
i had this two years ago. it was really a lifesaver cause i had developed severe anemia. it is an out patient surgery where they actually go in and destroy the uterine lining. i had some mild pain afterwards but nothing the pain meds can't zap pronto. if you need this done seriously consider it because a hysterectomy etc. is very invasive and requires alot more recouperation time.--cricket

If I might, Id like to ask a personal question. You said they go in and destroy the uterine lining. Can you still have children or is it like a hysterectomy only you keep you uterus. I had an old fashion hysterectomy many moons ago.

SoMDGirl42

If I might, Id like to ask a personal question. You said they go in and destroy the uterine lining. Can you still have children or is it like a hysterectomy only you keep you uterus. I had an old fashion hysterectomy many moons ago.

Once you have this done (typically they will insert a balloon into the uterus and fill it with boiling water to burn the lining) it causes the uterus to scar, preventing any future pregnancy. The egg would not be able to impant in the uterus lining.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Once you have this done (typically they will insert a balloon into the uterus and fill it with boiling water to burn the lining) it causes the uterus to scar, preventing any future pregnancy. The egg would not be able to impant in the uterus lining.

So its a hsyterectomy without removing any parts? Amazing what they can do now. I was in the hospital for a week and 6 more recovery. And it hurt.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
So its a hsyterectomy without removing any parts? Amazing what they can do now. I was in the hospital for a week and 6 more recovery. And it hurt.

Sometimes there are reasons for a hysterectomy that ablation can't fix, so ablation is not always an alternative.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I know someone who recently had it done. I'm pretty sure she was at party central the next day.

SoMDGirl42

Sometimes there are reasons for a hysterectomy that ablation can't fix, so ablation is not always an alternative.

Correct. Ablation is used primarily for fibroid tumors and endometriosis and such. It's not a cure for other more major issues.

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Depending on your age and history , EA is not a 100 % guarantee you can never become pregnant again therefore doctors will advise continuing birth control but the chances of becoming pregnant after an EA are very small . An EA is sometimes a safe and non invasive alternative to hysterectomy when dealing with certain kinds of fibroids ... if you're having other problems that usually lead up to needing a hysterectomy an EA can sometimes delay the inevitable for up to 15 years if you are lucky . Thanks to all who have responded , its nice to hear other womens' experiences .

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I would think ablation would not be 100% for sterilzation since the endometrial lining is shed and regenerated every month.

It sounds like it is a good procedure for some. Personally, I am glad they took mine out as recovery is much easier from surgery when a person is younger.

Good luck with your surgery. 3 people have told me theirs was easy and benefited them greatly.

I would think ablation would not be 100% for sterilzation since the endometrial lining is shed and regenerated every month.

It sounds like it is a good procedure for some. Personally, I am glad they took mine out as recovery is much easier from surgery when a person is younger.

Good luck with your surgery. 3 people have told me theirs was easy and benefited them greatly.

Sounds almost like what my ex had, back then they called it a DnC (I have no idea what the translation is). Rather than a heat treatment, they scrapped the uterine wall. It did not leave her sterile as the tissues regenerated next month. She was NOT happy nor comfortable for a few days after that.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
Sounds almost like what my ex had, back then they called it a DnC (I have no idea what the translation is). Rather than a heat treatment, they scrapped the uterine wall. It did not leave her sterile as the tissues regenerated next month. She was NOT happy nor comfortable for a few days after that.

Dilation and curettage. The DNC is completely different :gossip:

I wonder where anyone got the idea to stick a balloon all up in there and fill it with hot water :lmao:

I wonder where anyone got the idea to stick a balloon all up in there and fill it with hot water :lmao:

That's why I was careful to make the "n" lower case....

My only thought is: what happens if that balloon pops ? :confused:

southern bell

Novasure is similar to the Balloon method of ablation, but it uses a mesh "screen" that custom fits within the uterus walls. The doctor then connects a mild electrical current which burns the uterus lining and cortorizes the blood vessels. This is usually done within a few seconds. It takes longer to prep for the surgery than the procedure itself. Women had also reported total cessation of their periods. I can't encourage anybody enough to have the procedure done if their Dr. recommends it. It is one of the greatest medical advances in women's health.
:yahoo:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Novasure is similar to the Balloon method of ablation, but it uses a mesh "screen" that custom fits within the uterus walls. The doctor then connects a mild electrical current which burns the uterus lining and cortorizes the blood vessels. This is usually done within a few seconds. It takes longer to prep for the surgery than the procedure itself. Women had also reported total cessation of their periods. I can't encourage anybody enough to have the procedure done if their Dr. recommends it. It is one of the greatest medical advances in women's health.
:yahoo:

Ive never seen anyone so happy to see their Gyno.:lmao:

Buzzie

I had the procedure done - not for endometriosis or fibroids - rather for years of unexplained and uncontrolled bleeding. I was told I wouldn't be able to have children after the procedure.

And four months later (after 10 years of trying to have a second child) I was pregnant.

Aside from the surprise (and welcomed) pregnancy, the procedure worked for a couple of years. And then the symptoms returned with a vengeance. A partial hysterectomy (leaving the ovaries intact) proved to be the answer for me.

SoMDGirl42

It's actually a D&C. A D&C is not the same as ablation. Ablation is supposed to scar the uterus lining (like having a second or third degree burn and the scarring it causes) , D&Cs just scrape the uterus lining.

I had a D&C and exploratory surgery to determine issues. The doctor recommended I have the ablation due to fibroid tumors. I chose not to have the procedure done.

lak

Hi, I had this procedure done 18 months ago. No period since then. :starcat: Mine was for extremely heavy periods and clotting. My doctor did a D&C first then the thermal ablasion. No side effects, was even able to go to a craft show the next day. I did develop an infection because I was told to wear a mini pad for awhile because of possibility of spotting. I wore it too long though. Good luck!