Engagement ring suit

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It has always been my understanding that the woman keeps the ring if he breaks the engagement, gives it back if she breaks the engagement. However, if she's steppin' out and he finds out and breaks off the engagement, he should get the ring back.

Not enough info in the article to agree or disagree.

willie

What is the purpose of an expensive engagement ring? Usually, the engagement is during a time of life that the money should be going toward much more practical things. In the case of my Nephew......FOOD. Maybe even an old car to get you to work.

The opponents in the above court case were well past that age but 5 trips to Hawaii sounds like a lot more fun way to pee away your money.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
As I understand the custom, the engagement ring remains the property of the prospective husband and should be returned to him no matter who breaks off the engagement. The exception is when the ring is given as a birthday or Christmas gift. Then the ring is a gift and is hers no matter who breaks the engagement.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
2ndAmendment said:
As I understand the custom, the engagement ring remains the property of the prospective husband and should be returned to him no matter who breaks off the engagement. The exception is when the ring is given as a birthday or Christmas gift. Then the ring is a gift and is hers no matter who breaks the engagement.
No one believes in customs anymore. Girlfriend just takes the bling on her finger to the pawn shop as soon as she can anyway. She can always use the cash to buy her new beau some nice shoes or that vial of crack she has been wanting.:lmao:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Wickedwrench said:
No one believes in customs anymore. Girlfriend just takes the bling on her finger to the pawn shop as soon as she can anyway. She can always use the cash to buy her new beau some nice shoes or that vial of crack she has been wanting.:lmao:
Greed!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Glad you asked!

willie said:
What is the purpose of an expensive engagement ring? Usually, the engagement is during a time of life that the money should be going toward much more practical things. In the case of my Nephew......FOOD. Maybe even an old car to get you to work.

The opponents in the above court case were well past that age but 5 trips to Hawaii sounds like a lot more fun way to pee away your money.

You see, the early Colonial America practice of peeing on your girl to mark turf went out when plumbing came in, indoors that is. Before that, sporting young men, being more of a 'natural' world at the time, would recognize the 'scent' of another male and simply move on to a prospective lass that smelled like girl pee.

With the advent of plumbing, girls would simply bath every time an unwanted "Beau" would get 'engaged' to her, leading to more than a few cross words between the males, including numerous duels, and general all around chaos. This was the practical genesis of the word 'P.O'd" or, literally, 'piss off'. Pretty soon, girls who actually smelled like anyones pee were left for the more desperate as no one wanted a girl who didn't have soap and water by this time.

So, what to do?

Next, I'll get into the origins of diamonds...just as soon as I make it up.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Larry Gude said:
You see, the early Colonial America practice of peeing on your girl to mark turf went out when plumbing came in, indoors that is. Before that, sporting young men, being more of a 'natural' world at the time, would recognize the 'scent' of another male and simply move on to a prospective lass that smelled like girl pee.

With the advent of plumbing, girls would simply bath every time an unwanted "Beau" would get 'engaged' to her, leading to more than a few cross words between the males, including numerous duels, and general all around chaos. This was the practical genesis of the word 'P.O'd" or, literally, 'piss off'. Pretty soon, girls who actually smelled like anyones pee were left for the more desperate as no one wanted a girl who didn't have soap and water by this time.

So, what to do?

:snort:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Larry Gude said:

So, what to do?

The next pretty woman I see is getting peed on!:biggrin: