Epm!

BrassieChic

I don't have horses but know someone who does and her horse has contracted the EPM! Apparently her Vet has told her that there has already been several cases this year! I didn't know what it was until she explained it to me and I looked it up on the internet! It sounds really debilitating and painful! WOW!

BrassieChic

I sort of assume that 157 "horse" people have viewed this Thread...Is this EPM thing NOT so heard of down here?

fredsaid2

I don't think it's quite so prevalent here yet. I have a friend who's horse contracted it in California before moving here. It was a very expensive treatment but he's back in work after about a year's time off. Some come back 100%. Hope your friend's horse has a full recovery.

BrassieChic

WildHorses said:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's horse. I, personally, know very little about EPM except that researchers have determined that the opossum is the predator host and the horse is usually accidentally infected when it grazes in pastures where infected opossum feces is present and with proper, quick and aggressive treatment, 60% to 70% of horses make a significant or complete recovery. The treatment is expensive and time consuming.

I did read that the opossum is the culprit. How can you manage for a wild animal NOT to poop in the place your horses eat?!* Isn't there some sort of vaccine for this as a preventative? :shrug:

BrassieChic

WildHorses said:
Probably the best preventive measure is wildlife management in the barn and pastures, especially for opossums. :buttkick: I've read that there is a preventive vaccine, but it's effectiveness hasn't been proven. :shrug:

So at night you go out opossum hunting? I wonder if that's like snipe hunting!

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
fredsaid2 said:
I don't think it's quite so prevalent here yet. I have a friend who's horse contracted it in California before moving here. It was a very expensive treatment but he's back in work after about a year's time off. Some come back 100%. Hope your friend's horse has a full recovery.

EPM is everywhere in the US. It is passed by possum excrement. Over 90 percent of ALL horses are exposed to it. Most don't contract the disease because their immune system is functioning properly. TB racehorses, jumpers, and show horses are especeially prone because of the stress related to these activities.

changeling

Wildhorses I'm surprised you didn't share our secret for keeping the opossums out :gossip: . You know, those little signs we put all around the perimeter that say "opossums keep out". If any of you are going to try this make sure you put them really low, they're kind of lazy and get dizzy reading above their heads sort of like some of the people on this forum :whistle: . Just wanted to help. :lmao: :roflmao:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Additionally, it is present in hay and grain due to the way these products are harvested. So, killing opposums is not going to protect your horse. The main way to protect your horses is to keep them healthy, good weight, and don't excessively stress them out.

As far as treatment goes, the recommended treatment is Marquis with 10,000 IU plus of vitamin E. Marquis should be given for two months straight. This will costs approximately $1200 if you buy the Maquis online. You can get a prescription from your vet. However, I will add that in order for a horse to be properly diagnosed, it MUST be spinal tested. Blood tests are not effective as almost ALL horses will test positive for blood exposure. EPM sets in when the organism breaks the blood/spinal barrier.

Your friend can e-mail me privately to discuss the disease further if she would like. I am, unfortunately, very experienced in this area.

BrassieChic

Busterduck said:
Additionally, it is present in hay and grain due to the way these products are harvested. So, killing opposums is not going to protect your horse. The main way to protect your horses is to keep them healthy, good weight, and don't excessively stress them out.

As far as treatment goes, the recommended treatment is Marquis with 10,000 IU plus of vitamin E. Marquis should be given for two months straight. This will costs approximately $1200 if you buy the Maquis online. You can get a prescription from your vet. However, I will add that in order for a horse to be properly diagnosed, it MUST be spinal tested. Blood tests are not effective as almost ALL horses will test positive for blood exposure. EPM sets in when the organism breaks the blood/spinal barrier.

Your friend can e-mail me privately to discuss the disease further if she would like. I am, unfortunately, very experienced in this area.

WOW, THAT'S ALOT OF INFORMATION! Thanks, I'll pass this along! Sounds like you've had first hand experience with this?!*

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
So have we. :faint: Just once. After the treatment and the horse recovered we were all not convinced that it was EPM. But, We were able to get Marquis two years ago for 800.00. Has it gone up that much?

mingiz

Horse Poor
We also have seen the ill effects of EPM. We had a aged mare that we took as a rescue. She had it and we didn't know. When it hit her it was quick and very painfull for her and us to watch. At first we didin't know what it was

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
BrassieChic said:
WOW, THAT'S ALOT OF INFORMATION! Thanks, I'll pass this along! Sounds like you've had first hand experience with this?!*

Yes, I have lots of experience. I have taken in EPM rescues. I don't think I will anymore. Too much heartache; cure is not what is cracked up to be. Relaspe (sp?) is extremely common. Then, here we go again! If not caught soon, most of the time too much damage has been done. The Marquis only presumably kills the protozoa but it is not 100 percent effective. Additionally, because horses are exposed all of the time, one that was infected will be more likely to become infected again. Remember it is the breaking of the blood/spinal barrier that causes the EPM.

Also, the damage done to the central nervous system is never fixed. Once the damage is done it may get a little better but not much. So, a horse that is "cured" pursuant to the Marquis still may never be able to be ridden safely. I could go on and on and on but, if she would like to talk, PM me and I will provide you with my phone number. My rescue pony I have now was a level 4; the Marquis is considered effective it it brings her up to a level 3 (which incidentially is not good). She has had numerous relaspes.