Equestrian Center at Chaptico Park, Chaptico MD

JustSayNeigh

Some time ago (can't remember the year), plans and studies were completed to put a 2-ring Equestrian Center, with a his/hers bathroom and a judge's stand overtop between the two rings, and a trailer parking area -- kind of like Oak Ridge Park's. Unfortunately, the commissioners who were pushing this through for the horse people were not re-elected, and the project was pushed to the rear.

My "source" tells me those plans are still in existence; and at the St Mary's County Commissioners' meeting on Aug 2, 6:30 pm, at the Governmental Center, Leonardtown MD, one of the topics will be the budget and plans for Parks and Recreation for the coming year. There will also be a Parks and Recreation meeting on Aug 4, 5:30 pm, to prioritize the coming year's budget and prioritize the projects.

This will be the perfect opportunity for all the horse people who have a desire for an equestrian center at Chaptico Park to come together at these meetings and show/talk about those plans. At one of the public meetings, SMTR and AHR had pledged to help with the construction of the rings and create riding trails around the perimeter of the park. Are y'all still interested? I have been told that "the squeaky wheel gets the most grease, so if y'all want this project pushed to the forefront, get as many horse people to these meetings as you can." Let's get this project back on the table and moving forward!! PM me if you need directions/more information

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
:howdy: J.

I will attend the meeting. I personally don't see the need in the rings when we have oakridge right down the street. I would be interested in seeing the plat and helping create trails.

highnote

A-h-h-h, but Greenwell is a STATE Park in St Mary's County; not a County-owned/operated park.

And keep in mind, the only "equestrian facilities" you can use at Greenwell are the trails. You can't use their riding rings. Also, the trail use is limited- not all their trails allow horses, only some.

fredsaid2

The opportunity for trails at the new park sounds like a nice idea. I don't think the equine community has the numbers to make a show facility worth the taxpayers money, not with PG and Oakridge available.

JustSayNeigh

...Chaptico Park...

Just found the plans, maps, etc for the original proposed Equestian Center for Chaptico Park. OMG!! It was in 2001!! How many people would find it more convenient to use than going on those narrow, twisty roads to Oak Ridge Park? How many horse owners are in the adjacent areas? How would one find these answers before the meetings? I would think there are more horse owners to the South, East, and West of the park than those to the North. Spread the word, please.

JustSayNeigh

Just found the plans, maps, etc for the original proposed Equestian Center for Chaptico Park. OMG!! It was in 2001!! How many people would find it more convenient to use than going on those narrow, twisty roads to Oak Ridge Park? How many horse owners are in the adjacent areas? How would one find these answers before the meetings? I would think there are more horse owners to the South, East, and West of the park than those to the North. Spread the word, please.

We're not talking "A" rated show stuff; wouldn't you rather be closer to home?

spellbound

Does anyone know a reason why the fairgrounds wouldn't be a better option for investing for show rings? The structures are already there (nice covered grandstand), would just need to do some improvements like re-do the footing in the rings.

The fairgrounds are hardly ever used for anything. I'd rather see something old get a makeover, than create something new from scratch.

JustSayNeigh

Equestrian Center at Chaptico Park...

Makes sense to me...

My thoughts, too. Asked at the meeting on Thursday evening, and was told that the show ring at the Fairgrounds is not open for everyday use by the general public. Guess it's for "special use" by organizations, etc. The Parks and Recs people did not elaborate further than "no," when I asked if it was open for everyone to use. I think we have them thinking in the right direction when they agreed to meet with us later for a proposal by SMTR to help develop trails and a firm parking area for trailers, with maybe a jiffy john or two. They seemed more agreeable, the less money they would have to expend. Of course, in these tough times, I agree.

SugarNSpikes

On a separate note, unrelated to a new Equestrian Park, I'd personally love to see them allow people to trail ride at the Thomas Stone Park.

I mean, let's face it... nobody ever goes there because most people don't even know that it exists. It's free to get in, we pay for it with our taxes, and there's plenty of rideable, gorgeous land. Or I mean, hell, charge a 10$ fee to the upkeep of the facility for a few hours of ride.