Equestrian Sports Psychology

Would you be interested in any of these?

• I would attend a seminar

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I would like an individual session

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I would like both seminar and individual session

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I am interested but need more information

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I am not interested in this

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devinej

I'm working on getting Dr. Paul Haefner of Riding Far - Sport Psychology Consultation to come out to St.Mary's County to do some equestrian sports psychology therapy sessions.

They may be useful if you or your clients are experiencing fear or anxiety about riding or showing, coming back from injury or accident, etc. He can help you with strategies to deal with it. He's been working with riders for a long time and he is a rider himself.

He comes from Leesburg area so i need to fill either a half day or full day. We could take up to i think 9 sessions in a full day. He also suggested doing a seminar in the morning for anyone who is interested but does not want an individual session.

Also, he has suggested that the rider can have a session with his or her trainer/instructor present, either in an office setting or out with the horse.

PM me if you have any questions, i can try to answer them.

devinej

Thanks for the votes ya'll. Please i know there are a lot of you on this board - your votes would be very helpful.

A little more info:
if you have any kind of fear or anxiety around your horse or other's horses, this could make a difference. If you have issues trail riding, riding outside the ring, cantering, or if and when a horse spooks, this could be helpful to you.

He does sessions in groups up to 4 as well. With your horse, riding and all if you want.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Thanks for the votes ya'll. Please i know there are a lot of you on this board - your votes would be very helpful.

A little more info:
if you have any kind of fear or anxiety around your horse or other's horses, this could make a difference. If you have issues trail riding, riding outside the ring, cantering, or if and when a horse spooks, this could be helpful to you.

He does sessions in groups up to 4 as well. With your horse, riding and all if you want.

I'm in...:yahoo: I think it will be awesome!

highnote

It sounds very interesting, but I think price may be a deciding factor for many folks. Wondering how much he charges for all these different options (seminars, private sessions, group sessions, etc).

Robin

Where is it going to be held?
How many slots open for riders/ horses/ audits?
private /semi private

devinej

we are working out all the details. basically, the more people who want to attend, the less the fee will be, as the doc has a flat rate for half day or full day. I imagine it will be $120 or so for private sessions and maybe $15 or $20 for the seminar. I'd say its well worth the cost.

still working on the details of where a seminar might be held, and if private sessions would be at the same place.

Robin

we are working out all the details. basically, the more people who want to attend, the less the fee will be, as the doc has a flat rate for half day or full day. I imagine it will be $120 or so for private sessions and maybe $15 or $20 for the seminar. I'd say its well worth the cost.

still working on the details of where a seminar might be held, and if private sessions would be at the same place.

That is cheap for a private session. So if it fill up the price might go down more?

the seminars prices are even better

devinej

yep, but he can only do so many in a day, so there is a limit, 8 or 9 if we don't do a seminar, less if we do a seminar

Robin

This would benefit anyone who has had a bad fall and is now hesitant at getting back in the saddle.

Will walk-ins for adit be allowed the day of? I know your trying to set this up on a Sunday. I know there are a couple from the area barns that just might want to watch an audit and perhaps sign up for a later session.

devinej

yep - for the seminar walk ins i do believe will be allowed, but you need to sign up in advance for a private session, for scheduling purposes etc. thanks for the questions!

I

ilovemyappy

I am really interested. I don't know any of you ladies but please include me on this too. I fell off my horse and really need to feel relaxed back in the saddle again. I love to have a private session with my horse and go to the seminar as well. Thanks.

Robin

I am really interested. I don't know any of you ladies but please include me on this too. I fell off my horse and really need to feel relaxed back in the saddle again. I love to have a private session with my horse and go to the seminar as well. Thanks.

p.m. Devine she is taking the information and the money and putting you in the time slot.

Devine How many more slots are still available?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Devine I just want to Thank You for getting something like this together down in this area. I'm really looking forward to the seminar. It will be good for my students, their parents, and for me as a trainer to go to a seminar like this. Psychology plays a big roll in our sport and when we compete.

duchess1

It sounds like it would be helpful. Any success stories? We all know that riding is 90% nerve 10% skill! Mind over matter.

devinej

thanks ilovemyappy - shall i put you on the list? please pm me and i'll keep you updated. looks like we are leaning toward the sept. 27th date.

so far we have 4 definites plus 2 maybes for the sessions. i think we can take up to 9, and then do the seminar the evening before? i'll ask and make sure. if we do the seminar in the am, sessions in the afternoon, then we can probably take a total of 6 maybe 7 depending on how long the seminar is.

devinej

if we get a larger turnout that can be put into one day, then i'm sure he can come back and do a second day

devinej

Update:

We have scheduled for Sept. 27th. The seminar will be from 9-11am with privates after that at the same farm. We are all booked up for the privates. We are still working on pinning down a location. Feel free to ask any questions!

Also, I'm working on getting the doc to come back another day in october or november, since the private sessions filled up so quick, so if you'd like to get your name down for the next date, let me know.