Equine nutritionist?

Wait4It..boom

Is there one in SoMD? I'm trying to find the right feed for each of my guys, especially my older one (24) that's prone to laminitis and can gain 100lbs by looking at a bag of feed!

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
Min A Vite

have you considered Min a Vite Lite?

one of our ponies is only 11 h and he doesn't need any extra weight. to make sure he meets his nutritional requirements and is getting a balanced diet we feed him vitamins.. its about $20 a bag and he only gets like 2 oz a feeding so it lasts forever.. we also keep a mineral block in his stall, and he gets hay stretcher pellets in the winter time. but he gets no grain during the grass season and well monitored turn out because he probably would founder

I have attached the nutritional analysis for your review. I am sure other feed companies have similar products but if you shop at the henyard this is my recommended solution.

Attachments

• 21_MinaViteLite.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 104

devinej

i like min a vite lite too. stauffers also sells a blue seal pellet called carb guard that has very low amounts of starch. i think its a 10%protein, 10%fat but don't quote me

Spicober

The blue seal guy and Stuaffer actually came out to our farm and evaluated our guys for us. Gave a specific feed suggestion for each. We have seniors with special needs so he was very helpful with that. He took notes and measurements and returned and reevaluated each one. They knew their feed and the benefits of each type. Very helpful. And of course since they were trying to sell their brand they did not charge for this service.

Yep, I'm an Equine Nutritionist....
Wait4It..boom - send me an email pittmane @ umd.edu (remove spaces) and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

highnote

Normally the feed reps (for blue seal, purina, pennfield, etc) will do nutrition evaluations for free (like spicober mentioned... they promote their brands). But most of these major brands will offer everything it takes to meet your horses needs (specialty feeds, supplements, etc).

I am a big fan of blue seal carb guard (as devine mentioned). Great feed for horses prone to laminitis, or for owners who just want to AVOID laminitis issues altogether (preventitive)

Jazzie98

R & D Cross/Southern States

I spoke with David Cross (few years ago) about different issues with my horses and trying to fill their feeding needs. They actually had a nutritionist contact me, which she did and we set up an appointment. She came to the barn and spent hours, not just with myself but with other boarders. Went over the supplements, feed, hay, etc. She saved me some $$$,:yahoo: cutting out a few supplements that my horses didn't need (was getting enough in their grain/hay). You may want to give them a call. It was well worth it to me and my babies. Good luck

beachplum

Is there one in SoMD? I'm trying to find the right feed for each of my guys, especially my older one (24) that's prone to laminitis and can gain 100lbs by looking at a bag of feed!

Any good equine nutritionist will tell you to test your hay and your pasture first. Find out what you are feeding there. It is impossible to balance a diet without knowing what your are feeding in forage first.

Learn more at Safer Grass - A Resource for Equine Forage Nutrition and Equi-Analytical Laboratories - Profiling Feed for Better Nutrition

Good luck.

highnote

Good point, beachplum. It is impossible to balance diet through knowing the contents of grain alone, when in reality that is a small part of the horses total diet.