Error on computer

catlingirl

Hi my computer keeps saying “undoing changes made to your computer” and it’s been like this for about two days now. Nothing else is happening with it. I’ve even tried turning it off and on.Anything I can do.?We’ve had it for a while about 3 or 4 years. My anti software expired. Do you think if I renew it it would help. Or is it time for a new computer?. It’s a desk top. Thanks for any help.

InigoMontoya

Hi my computer keeps saying “undoing changes made to your computer” and it’s been like this for about two days now. Nothing else is happening with it. I’ve even tried turning it off and on.Anything I can do.?We’ve had it for a while about 3 or 4 years. My anti software expired. Do you think if I renew it it would help. Or is it time for a new computer?. It’s a desk top. Thanks for any help.

It sounds like a hard drive error. Do you have a startup disk that came with the computer? Chances are that the hard drive needs to be reformatted. If you don't have the system disk, you could take it to a repair shop and they could probably reformat it for you. That wipes the hard drive clean though.

Hope this helps.

this sounds like and back ground installation keeps failing and windows rolls back the changes
Agree. An update got installed, failed to install for whatever reason, and Windows is trying to uninstall it. Not a major problem, but annoying. It may correct itself with the next update.

catlingirl

ok
Agree. An update got installed, failed to install for whatever reason, and Windows is trying to uninstall it. Not a major problem, but annoying. It may correct itself with the next update.
Thank you. Do you know how long something like this usually takes?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Not knowing any further details, if it's a Windows machine (assuming it is, because you said "desktop") it sounds awfully like a corrupted Windows Update process. I've had this happen on several computers and the fixes have run the gamut from "very easy" to a day on the phone with Microsoft.

It could be the "anti-VIRUS software." If it is a Windows machine, you could try to start in Safe Mode and uninstall it (i.e., the anti-virus software). Since it's expired you would get the benefit of a fresh install using - may I suggest - Malwarebytes.

As far as it being 3-4 years old, that shouldn't be a problem; I'm still using MacOS and Windows machines that are far older.... Of course, if the OS is Windows 7 or earlier Microsoft is going to tell you it no longer supports those OS (MS still supports Windows 8, 8.1, & 10).

I would call Microsoft before I called the desktop manufacturer. The MS rep can help (even if only to tell you it isn't a Windows issue or your Windows OS is no longer supported, etc...). That will give you a good idea where to go/what to do next.

Best of luck!

--- End of line (MCP)

catlingirl

Not knowing any further details, if it's a Windows machine (assuming it is, because you said "desktop") it sounds awfully like a corrupted Windows Update process. I've had this happen on several computers and the fixes have run the gamut from "very easy" to a day on the phone with Microsoft.

It could be the "anti-VIRUS software." If it is a Windows machine, you could try to start in Safe Mode and uninstall it (i.e., the anti-virus software). Since it's expired you would get the benefit of a fresh install using - may I suggest - Malwarebytes.

As far as it being 3-4 years old, that shouldn't be a problem; I'm still using MacOS and Windows machines that are far older.... Of course, if the OS is Windows 7 or earlier Microsoft is going to tell you it no longer supports those OS (MS still supports Windows 8, 8.1, & 10).

I would call Microsoft before I called the desktop manufacturer. The MS rep can help (even if only to tell you it isn't a Windows issue or your Windows OS is no longer supported, etc...). That will give you a good idea where to go/what to do next.

Best of luck!

--- End of line (MCP)
Thank you. It’s working now finally but I do need to put on anti software. How much is this Malwarebytes?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Thank you. It’s working now finally but I do need to put on anti software. How much is this Malwarebytes?
They offer a free version (with a 14-day trial of Premium) built in. The free version works well, but I like a) the company and b) the additional real-time protection afforded by the Premium version. Cost goes by length of subscription and how many machines you plan to protect.

Go here: https://www.malwarebytes.com

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
what exactly are you doing ?

1. Just logging in
  2. Running a Web Browser
  3. What is the Blue Screen Error ?

How old is the system, what OS are you running ?

nwtnanne

I got HP laptop actually its a old one. got it from my brother i want to use it for home schooling i have no budget to buy new one
It's a bot. ignore it.
I got HP laptop actually its a old one. got it from my brother i want to use it for home schooling i have no budget to buy new one

DaSDGuy

Need more info on the OS version. If it's Windows 7 or older Microsoft will no longer support it.
FYI -a decent Chromebook costs around $300. I sent one to my grandkids to use while doing distance learning.

nwtnanne

Need more info on the OS version. If it's Windows 7 or older Microsoft will no longer support it.
FYI -a decent Chromebook costs around $300. I sent one to my grandkids to use while doing distance learning.
its windows 7 and got office 2003. oh it will take time for me to get a new one. thanks anyway! :)