Essex Drive South Traffic Issues

If you live in Essex South and have issues with traffic, please message me. The neighbors in the older section (the ones without sidewalks) are meeting with Police to address the problems and hopefully come up with some solutions. :strangle:

DEEKAYPEE8569

If you live in Essex South and have issues with traffic, please message me. The neighbors in the older section (the ones without sidewalks) are meeting with Police to address the problems and hopefully come up with some solutions. :strangle:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that meeting; just outta curiosity.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Pardon my curiosity, but Essex Drive SOUTH is a more or less a dead end - is it not? Not totally familiar with the road, but I don't think it's a through street.
So if there is a problem with traffic, it's the people who live there.

Pardon my curiosity, but Essex Drive SOUTH is a more or less a dead end - is it not? Not totally familiar with the road, but I don't think it's a through street.

It is a dead end and it is the people that live here and what is sadder, they don't care

CrashTest

Familiar problem. Too many people, not enough road. Back exit onto Willows Road should have been in the works before they crammed all those people in there. If that wasn't feasible, then you don't allow development. Putting up speed bumps and signs now just underscores failure to plan.

PeoplesElbow

Familiar problem. Too many people, not enough road. Back exit onto Willows Road should have been in the works before they crammed all those people in there. If that wasn't feasible, then you don't allow development. Putting up speed bumps and signs now just underscores failure to plan.

It is not that there isn't enough road for the traffic, it is really fairly light traffic. The issue is that people just go too fast, people have been clocked at 50 mph, it is a 25 mph zone.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It is not that there isn't enough road for the traffic, it is really fairly light traffic. The issue is that people just go too fast, people have been clocked at 50 mph, it is a 25 mph zone.

welcome to Wildewood Parkway

The irony here is that the back exit onto Lawrence-Hayden Road has speed bumps and most of the speeding vehicles are from that neighborhood.

CrashTest

You're preaching to the choir. I live it everyday in WW. Try driving 3 miles at 30mph everytime you need to get out of your hood and onto the main road. Isn't too long before folks say F-it. Need multiple ways out when you have large hoods.

Codfish

The wildwood parkway is much longer than the small stretch in south essex. If a speedbump or two are installed in south E, by the time they get back to speed its time to turn or hit a tree... Now granted, its the people who live here, its the fedex driver, the mailman, its me, its people in a rush BUT why point fingers, why not fix it? Ill take ownership of it, I have sped up the road before, but Im also willing to admit it. I have caught myself stomping my brakes many times realizing im no longer on a main road. I am absolutely part of the problem, but at the same time so are many others.

CrashTest

I wonder if the folks who live on St. Andrews Church Rd should demand speed bumps. I imagine there was a time when that was a sleepy country road.

Codfish

Why would you wonder if people in a 55mph zone would demand speed bumps? Who puts speed bumps in a 55mph zone, are you drunk? Route 4 was obviously a sleepy country road at one point, so was "three notch road" but thats not the case anymore. The issue of this thread is in south essex where the speed limit is posted at 25mph but people are on the St Andrews Church Rd speed of 55mph. Its like saying, "why cant i hit 55mph down cherry laurel?" If you would like to argue the issue thats fine, but you sound like a special sort of individual who thinks its a good idea to speed down a dead end road... go for it bud.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I wonder if the folks who live on St. Andrews Church Rd should demand speed bumps. I imagine there was a time when that was a sleepy country road.
There was a time; it was back when I was in grade school.Now though, the traffic on SACR is constant because it is a/THE link between L'town and LP, depending on where in L'town you're coming from. On a good day, it only takes a couple minutes to get onto SACR, but between Monday and Thursday, count on waiting a while.

CrashTest

If folks drive down Essex at 35mph, then maybe they should raise the speed limit to 35mph. They just raised the speed limit on Chancellor's Run Rd because driver's realizes it was insane to drive it end-to-end at 40mph. Obviously the authorities agreed.

Maybe they should raise the speed limit on WW Parkway. The only reason they don't, is that many residents down there think they have a Constitutional Right to push their baby strollers down the shoulder of that road and feel safe.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If folks drive down Essex at 35mph, then maybe they should raise the speed limit to 35mph. They just raised the speed limit on Chancellor's Run Rd because driver's realizes it was insane to drive it end-to-end at 40mph. Obviously the authorities agreed.

Maybe they should raise the speed limit on WW Parkway. The only reason they don't, is that many residents down there think they have a Constitutional Right to push their baby strollers down the shoulder of that road and feel safe.

ah, the shoulder of the road is marked as a pedestrian and bike path - which is why there are signs that inform drivers to not drive on it.
We are lucky it's 30 MPH as most residential streets are posted at 25 MPH (and I've seen lower).

Speeding on Essex Drive South is obviously a community problem, but I think it's foolish to attempt to use a community watch program. It's just going to lead to other problems, somebody is going to do something stupid. The answer is a petition to the sheriff and the commissioners.

The least expensive way to start would be a reminder that the speed limit is 25 MPH - I'm sure the sheriff has a few of those digital readout signs that can give you, "your speed" and flash when it exceeds the limit. I don't know how the road is marked, some of the speeding could be a misunderstanding of the speed limit.

CrashTest

ah, the shoulder of the road is marked as a pedestrian and bike path - which is why there are signs that inform drivers to not drive on it.
We are lucky it's 30 MPH as most residential streets are posted at 25 MPH (and I've seen lower).

Speeding on Essex Drive South is obviously a community problem, but I think it's foolish to attempt to use a community watch program. It's just going to lead to other problems, somebody is going to do something stupid. The answer is a petition to the sheriff and the commissioners.

The least expensive way to start would be a reminder that the speed limit is 25 MPH - I'm sure the sheriff has a few of those digital readout signs that can give you, "your speed" and flash when it exceeds the limit. I don't know how the road is marked, some of the speeding could be a misunderstanding of the speed limit.

Not sure why WW Parkway is residential. The street is 3 miles long and has no houses on it.

bilbur

Not sure why WW Parkway is residential. The street is 3 miles long and has no houses on it.

The length of the road has nothing to do with the classification and there are plenty of houses off of it. I live in the condos just off of WW Parkway and the road along with the bike path was built for that community. It was never intended for people to use as a shortcut to get to rout 4 from 235. There is no businesses in that portion of WW and if people don't live in there or are visiting people there they shouldn't be driving on there. The road was originally put in by the WW association when it was first built then it was turned over to the state. I, personally, am just fine with the speed limit because WW was always intended to be a community setting where people did feel safe walking the streets or riding there bikes, just because it is 3 miles long doesn't change that.

CrashTest

Do you know anyone who's address is WW Parkway? I doubt it since there are no houses on it. There are houses on Rt 4 and 5 where the speed limit is 55.

glhs837

Power with Control
The length of the road has nothing to do with the classification and there are plenty of houses off of it. I live in the condos just off of WW Parkway and the road along with the bike path was built for that community. It was never intended for people to use as a shortcut to get to rout 4 from 235. There is no businesses in that portion of WW and if people don't live in there or are visiting people there they shouldn't be driving on there. The road was originally put in by the WW association when it was first built then it was turned over to the state. I, personally, am just fine with the speed limit because WW was always intended to be a community setting where people did feel safe walking the streets or riding there bikes, just because it is 3 miles long doesn't change that.

Ah, "I like my private road, but not enough to pay for it, but then I want to control it like I was still paying for it", is that what I'm reading? :) I pass through quite often, going from 4 to Smoke Hill. Should I not do that?

bilbur

Ah, "I like my private road, but not enough to pay for it, but then I want to control it like I was still paying for it", is that what I'm reading? :) I pass through quite often, going from 4 to Smoke Hill. Should I not do that?

I am paying for it and with the amount of people living in WW they pay more than their faire share to maintain that road along with all the others in the county. Pass through all you want but realize the speed limit is what it is because it is a community and there are people from that community walking that road daily. And contrary to CrashTest's belief there are addresses off of WWPkwy, I will not put any on here because the home owners might not like it but go to Google maps with the earth view and click on some of the houses by the road. In just 2 minutes I found at lest 10 with WWPkwy addresses. Rt 4 and 5 were never built as a community like WW.

CrashTest

I am paying for it and with the amount of people living in WW they pay more than their faire share to maintain that road along with all the others in the county. Pass through all you want but realize the speed limit is what it is because it is a community and there are people from that community walking that road daily. And contrary to CrashTest's belief there are addresses off of WWPkwy, I will not put any on here because the home owners might not like it but go to Google maps with the earth view and click on some of the houses by the road. In just 2 minutes I found at lest 10 with WWPkwy addresses. Rt 4 and 5 were never built as a community like WW.

There are exactly zero houses with a driveway ingress/egress onto WWP. They are all on side roads - unlike Rt 4 or Rt 5 which have many driveways intersecting it. That would make Rt 4 or Rt 5 more residential than WWP.