Essex Drive South Traffic Issues

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think the speed bump thing may not be as easy as you think. There's engineering cost involved, and the issue of snowploughs to start with. Maint cost would need to be considered. You cant just change county roads without a whole lot of paperwork. Might even require a special taxing district sort of thing

Or it could be easier, like a "red-neck" speed bump (garden rake, tines up, pitched out in-front of speeding vehicle). :yay:

pebbles

If you live in Essex South and have issues with traffic, please message me. The neighbors in the older section (the ones without sidewalks) are meeting with Police to address the problems and hopefully come up with some solutions. :strangle:

:howdy: This is your niece!!! xoxo

CrashTest

More lessons from Wildewood. Put up signs that say things like "Do Not Drive On Shoulder" and "Speed Limits Strictly Enforced". :killingme

Codfish

I just emailed the point of contact for St. Marys County maintenance explaining the speed issue and that sort of thing. He quickly replied "We will take a look at this. Normally a speed study is conducted as a part of the evaluation . We also look to the community / neighbors to support the effort as well. Our Deputy Director, John Groeger, will get back to you with additional details. Thank you for the inquiry." Hopefully this will get the ball rolling especially with spring and summer upon us!

I just emailed the point of contact for St. Marys County maintenance explaining the speed issue and that sort of thing. He quickly replied "We will take a look at this. Normally a speed study is conducted as a part of the evaluation . We also look to the community / neighbors to support the effort as well. Our Deputy Director, John Groeger, will get back to you with additional details. Thank you for the inquiry." Hopefully this will get the ball rolling especially with spring and summer upon us!

Good for you Codfish!! I just received an email from the Sheriff and they are going to have the electronic speed sign in here next Tuesday and will keep patrolling the area to help with the numbers we need. I even offered to buy speed bumps but you have to go through hoops to get the county to let you install them! If anyone needs contact information for school buses speeding let me know

PeoplesElbow

I think thats a great idea. I live on Essex South at the top of the hill and people fly by. Perhaps we could see about getting speed bumps installed? How does everyone feel about establishing a neighborhood watch? I have quite a few friends in the neighborhood and we are all on board with it.

I like the neighborhood watch idea, I dislike speed bumps/humps. I would rather there was a stop sign at Lynn than a speed bump.

I have been up since 4am and already traffic flying out of here :( Not one single vehicle has stop at the Thomas/Essex STOP sign, not 1. Additional stop signs are not the answer, I don't like speed bumps either but I believe the time has come. On a good note not one vehicle has come into the neighborhood this morning but hey, it's early yet

glhs837

Power with Control
So, and please, understand, I'm playing devils advocate here, not trying to be mean or anything. If there is a stop sign that people don't stop at, that might be a good indicator that perhaps that should be yield sign instead? Lots of visibility, quite easy to see what's approaching. Amount of crashes at that intersection? I don't know, I don't hear of very any, but given the speeds, maybe they are all fender benders that don't make the police blotter. Are there many pedestrians injured on that stretch of road? And while I do believe that there are drivers that do 50 through there, I'll be you that 35-38 is a better bet as to the average speed. Very few people can accurately judge a moving cars speed, that's why officers need special training to do so. Would be interesting if the Sheriffs radar speed sign logged what it see's, but it does not.

I don't live there, but a few of my sons friends do, and so I am in and out of there fairly often.

gretchen

I'll add to this that I'm in and out of there on weekends only but I've thought to myself before that the stop signs are excessive and usually do a rolling stop and a glance. However,I can see your side of it 100% and I really wish when the newer sections were built there was an additional entrance so that you don't have to wind through the whole neighborhood.

I will fight tooth and nail to stop any entrances/exits from this neighborhood. We have enough traffic problems of are own to add people coming off Willows Road to get to Great Mills Road. Not-ta, nope, hell NO

PeoplesElbow

So, and please, understand, I'm playing devils advocate here, not trying to be mean or anything. If there is a stop sign that people don't stop at, that might be a good indicator that perhaps that should be yield sign instead? Lots of visibility, quite easy to see what's approaching. Amount of crashes at that intersection? I don't know, I don't hear of very any, but given the speeds, maybe they are all fender benders that don't make the police blotter. Are there many pedestrians injured on that stretch of road? And while I do believe that there are drivers that do 50 through there, I'll be you that 35-38 is a better bet as to the average speed. Very few people can accurately judge a moving cars speed, that's why officers need special training to do so. Would be interesting if the Sheriffs radar speed sign logged what it see's, but it does not.

I don't live there, but a few of my sons friends do, and so I am in and out of there fairly often.

The stop sign is from a side road onto Essex so it isn't exactly a high traffic intersection.

What I find annoying is all the people that park there blocking the road to get junior off the bus after school because they don't feel their kid can walk a couple hundred feet home.

Yeah, right! You'll get an answer, but probably not the answer you want. While you're at it, ask Groeger when they intend to address the WW traffic problems! That's only been going on for 3 years now!

Again.... we sympathize with WW situation, but this is about South Essex Drive. We have NO sidewalks, bike, walking or shoulder on any of the older streets in this neighbor and no developer to raise hell with. We will do everything within our means to make it safe in our community and all I can suggest is WW do the same. I clock a CRW Mechanical truck doing 52MPH in a 25 (he has been reported). It doesn't seem to matter if there is an unmarked or marked patrol car in here, people are still flying and I for one am going to help stop it.

Last edited:
The stop sign is from a side road onto Essex so it isn't exactly a high traffic intersection.

What I find annoying is all the people that park there blocking the road to get junior off the bus after school because they don't feel their kid can walk a couple hundred feet home.

I've talked to some of those folks that wait for the bus there and if I had a child that young I would be doing the same-thing (once upon a time the bus went back to Morris/Thomas and picked up those children) but the School Board stopped that

PeoplesElbow

I've talked to some of those folks that wait for the bus there and if I had a child that young I would be doing the same-thing (once upon a time the bus went back to Morris/Thomas and picked up those children) but the School Board stopped that

Problem is they park on both sides of the street sometimes, don't even leave enough room between them for traffic to flow. When I was that young my mom actually walked up a hill (yea a real hill not this bump Marylanders call a hill) to wait in me and we walked the few hundred feet home.