Esther 2 Conspiracy

seekeroftruth

Esther 2:19 When the virgins were assembled a second time, Mordecai was sitting at the king’s gate. 20 But Esther had kept secret her family background and nationality just as Mordecai had told her to do, for she continued to follow Mordecai’s instructions as she had done when he was bringing her up.
21 During the time Mordecai was sitting at the king’s gate, Bigthana(b) and Teresh, two of the king’s officers who guarded the doorway, became angry and conspired to assassinate King Xerxes. 22 But Mordecai found out about the plot and told Queen Esther, who in turn reported it to the king, giving credit to Mordecai. 23 And when the report was investigated and found to be true, the two officials were impaled on poles. All this was recorded in the book of the annals in the presence of the king.

b. Esther 2:21 Hebrew Bigthan, a variant of Bigthana

So Now Esther and Mordecai are both in the good graces of the king. Xerxes still doesn't know he's married to a little Jewish orphan.

It looks like this will be a short study this morning. The enduringword.com site has some clarification for me.

Mordecai sat within the king’s gate: This position indicates that Mordecai was associated with the decision makers and men of influence in the kingdom.
Now Esther had not revealed her family and her people, just as Mordecai had charged her: Some have thought that the book of Esther carries this idea of concealment too far. This book has been criticized because it does not mention the name of God (as neither does the Song of Solomon).
Some say that the name of God was left out of the book of Esther because of its use in the festivities surrounding Purim, where people commonly became drunk. One rabbi taught: “A man is obligated to drink on Purim until he is unable to distinguish between ‘Blessed be Mordecai’ and ‘Cursed be Haman.’” Some have wondered if, in that atmosphere, it would be too easy to profane the name of God if it were to be read at such a festival.​
Others see the name YHWH hidden in acrostics, based on the initial and final letters of successive words in Esther 1:20, 5:4, 5:13, and 7:7. In some manuscripts, the letters in these words are written a bit larger to give them prominence.​
Perhaps also the book of Esther does not contain the name of God because it was written under Persian rule, and for distribution in the Persian Empire.
Most likely, the book of Esther doesn’t have the name of God because it shows how God works behind the scenes; God is always active in Esther, even though it is behind the scenes.​

Both were hanged on a gallows: The word gallows is literally tree; the idea that they were hanged on a tree probably refers not to a hanging with a noose around the neck, but to impalement on a stake, much like crucifixion.
A pointed stake is set upright in the ground, and the culprit is taken, placed on the sharp point, and then pulled down by his legs till the stake that went in at the fundament passes up through the body and comes out through the neck. A most dreadful species of punishment, in which revenge and cruelty may glut the utmost of their malice. The culprit lives a considerable time in excruciating agonies.” (Clarke)​
One would think that a commentary could at least use less words than the copy they are commenting on... right?

I have watched countless westerns on TV.... so I've seen a lot of "hangings". I've often wondered..... did all the necks snap bringing death when they were hung from a rope slung in a tree? Or... did some of them just hang there alone up in a tree to starve to death or be attacked by wild animals.... after all in the westerns... no one hung around to cut them down once the deed was done.....

I have to admit though.... It seem the Persian hanging on a pole seems a lot more contrived to kill in a violent painful way. I think I'd rather take my chances up in a tree rather than pulled over one.

Yuck.... what a way to start the day!

☕