ISO Information Ethanol free gas??

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The quick shop on great mills road has ethanol free. We just got some last weekend.

Excellent.....good to know. Tall timbers marina , like most marinas, carrys ethanol free gas but it's a real pita to them to go all the way out to the pumps just to fill a couple gas cans so I only do that when I'm filling the boat too.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
I tested Sun 94 yesterday at Cooks . It was very little ethanol in it. To test get a clear glass bottle 1/3 filled with water and mark the water line exactly, now add 1/3 gasoline be sure to leave about 1/3 free space. Roll don't shake ( reparatory funnel technique ). The ethanol will have migrated into the water and be above the mark now. The gas on top is now ethanol free. This process is called washing. Anywho the fuel tested only changed the mark just a hair above so it was about 1% . I suspect Sun puts only the minimum amount of ethanol legally required to meet specs. into there 94. Its a easy test

Midnightrider

In St. Mary's county, the ones that I know of are at:
Dennis Point Marina (Drayden)
Colton's Point Marina (7th Ditrict)
Fitzie's Marina (Leonardtown)

Unless the pump is clearly marked as ETHANOL-FREE, ALL pump gas; regular, mid-grade and high test, will have ethanol in it.

Ever since I started using ethanol-free in my yard stuff, have had no problems. You asked what people are doing..... As long as there is an ethanol mandate established by congress, We're stuck with it. We're subsidizing the big corporation farming companies. Next time you see the commercial on TV about the ethanol mandate, pay attention. It directly affects your pocket in many ways. The green folks started this, then figured out it wasn't the panacea they thought it was. Now we're stuck with it. There's people out there trying to get the E15 mandated. More corn sold to be burned in our cars = more money for them. They don want you to find out that E15 will damage your small engines and marine outboards, and voids warranties. Not their problem.

You'll notice when you start burning ethanol-free gas in your small engines that they will run much better, start easier, and certainly wont get gummed up as fast . Your gas will last longer than two months. Ethanol gas is good for nothing. a failed experiment.... unless you are on the receiving end of the money...

That's actually the opposite of the law/regulation. Pumps must say if they contain enthanol.

In general Citgo does not use ethanol in their fuel unless required by the locality. It will say on the pumps if there is ethanol. The Citgos I have been to in St Mary's do not have ethanol in their gas.

Popster

If you MUST use E-10, run your fuel system dry after every use to prevent costly repairs/replacements.

The folks at Guy Brothers say that they have changed the diaphragms in the small equipment to help stand up to E10. However, they are thinner and dry out and crack if you store motor for a long time without gas. They suggest premix or non-ethanol.

Goldenhawk

The folks at Guy Brothers say that they have changed the diaphragms in the small equipment to help stand up to E10.

That's true - but different diaphragms will do nothing to avoid the injectors and bottom of the tank getting coated with syrup-thick orange goop that the gas becomes after a couple months. Ethanol gas is evil.

1stGenSMIB

Drury's Marina in Ridge has ethanol free too..but you have to schlep the jerry cans down their long pier.

Discovered Ridgell's this summer (thanks to whomever already mentioned it, and they are a full service station!)

Have been using Clarke's Landing as a source as well (that pier is about 1/3rd the length of Drury's.)

One more I found by chance, the RaceWay at the Coleman Bridge on Rt 17 (Yorktown, VA) has ethanol free pumps if you are ever down that way (made a few work trips to Norfolk recently.)

I have an old sailboat with an Atomic4 gas motor, and had nothing but problems with E-10.

Great link Ken King...thanks!

Last edited:
I've mentioned it before, the Edwards in Dahlgren has ethanol free fuel. I go by there kinda often, so it's not a big deal for me to stop and fill up a couple of cans.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The quick shop on great mills road has ethanol free. We just got some last weekend.

Welp..that was a bust. We stopped in there last week with a bunch of cans...couldn't find any pumps marked as ethanol free. Went in and asked the attendant about it..got nothing but puzzled looks and "no man..all our gas has the ethanol in it".

;-( We are talking about the same place right?..the one that initially opened as a Wa Wa ?

DEEKAYPEE8569

St. Mary's Airport has ethanol-free gas. It's 100 octane, and will cost you a few more bucks than a chain gas station, like $5-$6/Gal. (+-).....but it's ethanol-free.....

Last edited:

Midnightrider

Q: Do CITGO products contain ethanol or methanol?
A: CITGO does not use methanol in its gasoline. CITGO gasoline may contain ethanol, but primarily only in select areas where it’s the oxygenate of choice to meet federal regulations for reformulated gasoline. Regulations require that if a gasoline contains ethanol, that fact must be posted clearly on the retail dispenser. If you don’t see this or a similar posting, the gasoline shouldn't contain ethanol.
https://www.citgo.com/ConsumerFAQs.jsp#top

And it ain’t $6/ gal either......

Popster

Welp..that was a bust. We stopped in there last week with a bunch of cans...couldn't find any pumps marked as ethanol free. Went in and asked the attendant about it..got nothing but puzzled looks and "no man..all our gas has the ethanol in it".

;-( We are talking about the same place right?..the one that initially opened as a Wa Wa ?

From reading info in this thread, I thought that pumps that had ethanol were required to be labeled with the "contains ethanol" placards. the pumps at this station do not have those labels. Can anyone shed info on this? Who would one call to verify that this station was in compliance with the law. At its face value, the lack of labels would suggest that the pumps do not have ethanol. As far as the clerks go..........

Goldenhawk

From reading info in this thread, I thought that pumps that had ethanol were required to be labeled with the "contains ethanol" placards. the pumps at this station do not have those labels. Can anyone shed info on this? Who would one call to verify that this station was in compliance with the law. At its face value, the lack of labels would suggest that the pumps do not have ethanol. As far as the clerks go..........

As far as I know, yes, they should be labeled. You can do your own test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDAw4a6Ck0 (and many other similar examples)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Fifteen states don’t require stations to tell you if the gasoline contains ethanol: (alphabetically) California, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Ohio.