Ethanol in NASCAR

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Charles said:
I know Ethanol burns with a red tint but is it a lot more visible than alcohol that is nearly invisible?
:gossip: ethonal = ethyl alcohol and/or grain alcohol
adding alcohol to gas DECREASES the amount of energy availabe in the fuel. Race teams wouldn't do that unless it was mandated across the board.
NASCAR still uses leaded gas

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Charles said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/21/AR2007022101655.html

Clint Bowyer's cook-out on the last lap made me wonder about what if it was an Ethanol fire. I know Ethanol burns with a red tint but is it a lot more visible than alcohol that is nearly invisible?

It might be more visible at night but all alcohol fires are difficult to see in daylight.I know a guy who was badly burned on his leg and side in a methanol fire at the drag strip a few years ago. We could feel the heat but could not see the flame.

NASCAR uses hi octane leaded gas for several reasons, I don't see them moving to alcohol any time soon.

Charles

aps45819 said:
:gossip: ethonal = ethyl alcohol and/or grain alcohol
adding alcohol to gas DECREASES the amount of energy availabe in the fuel. Race teams wouldn't do that unless it was mandated across the board.
NASCAR still uses leaded gas
The last parts of the article:
NASCAR is taking one step in the direction of environmental responsibility by getting the lead out, catching up with a change most consumers made in the 1980s by switching from leaded to unleaded fuel.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said officials are willing to consider renewable fuels, too.

"In terms of looking at the next step, obviously we're open to options," Poston said.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Charles said:
NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said officials are willing to consider renewable fuels, too.
Translation:
NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said officials are willing to consider sponsership from the manufacturers of renewable fuels if they pony up some big buckets of money.