Europe

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
Not sure - I'm coming down to give a presentation. She won't have a date for me until next week some time.
I hope it is not during my travel dates. I need to scream like a biatch and throw my boxer briefs at you like the rockstar that you are again.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Not sure - I'm coming down to give a presentation. She won't have a date for me until next week some time.
Let me know when, I'd be happy to share our experience. I have also been over as an adult 4 years ago.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Pete said:
I went to Japan as a teenager. :yay:

and look what you came back as. :shakeshead:

:razz:

Vrai, check out travelzoo.com for package deal. They always have deals for Europe that seem pretty reasonable ... land and sea (cruises) ... and usually include airfare. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
Vrai, check out travelzoo.com for package deal.
That's cool - thanks!

I'm just nervous about going to a foreign country where I don't speak the language and trying to get around and find things to do.

SmallTown

Football season!
vraiblonde said:
That's cool - thanks!

I'm just nervous about going to a foreign country where I don't speak the language and trying to get around and find things to do.
Just wear your "I'm an American, and I'm Lost" t-shirts. You'll be just fine

SmallTown

Football season!
SmallTown said:
Just wear your "I'm an American, and I'm Lost" t-shirts. You'll be just fine
Or just wear your Dick Cheney shirt with the caption "Eat Sh!t".

That will scores you points as well! :yay:

SmallTown

Football season!
SmallTown said:
Or just wear your Dick Cheney shirt with the caption "Eat Sh!t".

That will scores you points as well! :yay:
my bad. Thinking about the video. Should be "Go F Yourself"

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
That's cool - thanks!

once you nail down a specific area or town, go to tripadvisor.com and punch it in there. it'll give you the low-down on hotels in the area, things to do, etc. Also (and my favorite feature of the site), there are actual patron reviews (vs. the pretty glossy :bs: the hotel provides) about people's stays, amenities, customer service, etc. Peeps rate their lodging, restaurants, etc. on a scale of 1-5 so you know what to expect.

Like everything (and the forum) there are a few crybabies who are just im-effing-possible to please, and it's pretty easy to pick them out. :yay:

Once you know where you're going, pick up some language tapes to learn the basics. Foreigners will treat you with more respect if you at least attempt to speak their language (and you'll have an idea if they're badtalking you or not). :lol:

crabcake

And just a note (from experience) if you go to Italy, visit Venice only in the winter. The canals aren't as horrendous smelling as they are in the heat of the summer. :barf:

crabcake

Christy said:
Go to Italy (and take me with you. :wink: :lol: )

Italy is beautiful ... spent a week there pulling a tailswap to Aviano (were only supposed to be there 2 days, but our return 130 had some 'mechanical difficulties'.) I played my first game of laser tag with a bunch of dutch peeps and we went bowling ... oh, and you GOTTA have some Grappa. :really:

What's funny about Italy is that there are no fat italians (that I saw). the food is far different than what Olive Garden calls "authentic". Wayyyyy better! :yay:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
crabcake said:
Once you know where you're going, pick up some language tapes to learn the basics. Foreigners will treat you with more respect if you at least attempt to speak their language (and you'll have an idea if they're badtalking you or not). :lol:
:yeahthat: It's uncanny, even incredulous, but when I was stationed in the military in W. Germany at the time, we'd take tours to various cities, countries, and the folks in Germany and France didn't mind a bit if you butchered their language. The bottom line was at least you were trying, and they were patient as all get out, in order for you to get the pronunciation down.

I'm talking comedic as hell; you'd try to phrase a word or a sentence, and they'd be laughing their backsides off at your attempt, it was the funniest experience sometimes, you'd say it, repeat it, say it again, and all the time they're busting a gut at you, but still loving your efforts. Finally, they would relent, once you got your idea across, and on you' go. Good times, for sure.

Maybe it's part of the old "ugly American" syndrome that they had gotten familiar with; just remember this much:

You are the foreigner, and are in their country, respect their customs and their language, and they'll bend over backwards to accomodate you.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Penn said:
:yeahthat: It's uncanny, even incredulous, but when I was stationed in the military in W. Germany at the time, we'd take tours to various cities, countries, and the folks in Germany and France didn't mind a bit if you butchered their language. The bottom line was at least you were trying, and they were patient as all get out, in order for you to get the pronunciation down.

Maybe it's part of the old "ugly American" syndrome that they had gotten familiar with; just remember this much:

You are the foreigner, and are in their country, respect their customs and their language, and they'll bend over backwards to accomodate you.
From people I talk to who have been to Paris, they REALLY hate when foreigners butcher their language. They are much happier to speak English. The rest of the country seemed fine with it.

crabcake

:offtopic: now ya'll know why she's been pushing that premo service ... you're funding her own National Lampoons European Vacation! :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
once you nail down a specific area or town
Larry and I don't even want to go. I like it right here in the good ol' USofA.

This is the middle daughter's idea. Every year she gets one of these People to People Student Ambassador things and this is the first year we felt she was mature enough to go. Her trip is Switzerland, France, Austria and Italy. But she's balking a bit because she "says" she wants her first trip to Europe to be with her family, not a bunch of strangers. I think she's just feeling pre-bashful.

But anyway, it got me thinking that we could all go to Europe somewhere. :shrug: I just don't know anything about foreign travel and am looking for suggestions.

SmallTown

Football season!
vraiblonde said:
I just don't know anything about foreign travel and am looking for suggestions.
I'm considering a trip that includes a cruise down the Nile. Eventhough Egypt hasn't had a LOT of terrorist activity, I'm not so sure about going on a cruise that just screams "I'm an American!" in that part of the world. But we shall see. That area has always fascinated me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Penn said:
I can say "Where is the bathroom?" in six different languages.

And I can say, "Give me back my acorn" in Chipmunk. :yay:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
vraiblonde said:
Larry and I don't even want to go. I like it right here in the good ol' USofA.

But anyway, it got me thinking that we could all go to Europe somewhere. :shrug: I just don't know anything about foreign travel and am looking for suggestions.
I can tell you this much vrai; you will learn to appreciate what freedoms, accessabilities, and availabilities(sp)? we have here in our country.

About everyone I know comes away with idea "it just isn't the same as the USA".

It's just easier to do what you want, get what you desire, go where you want to go here at home. No real reason or rational for it, but it will occur to you if you do go.