Eviction Ban

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That the president-elect is assigning Congress the burden of extending the federal eviction ban—rather than claiming the authority to issue one by himself—is a silver lining. The Trump administration relied on an expansive, legally tenuous view of its own executive authority when it issued a sweeping eviction moratorium in September.

Biden is instead encouragingly adopting a more limited vision of his presidential powers, even as he doubles down on a heavy-handed housing policy that is an unnecessary, and potentially counterproductive, means of preventing a true "wave" of evictions.

"While a lot of people are warning of an eviction tsunami, that's not something we have seen anywhere yet," Emily Hamilton, a researcher at George Mason University's Mercatus Center, told Reason in December.

Are the banks going to be ' OK ' with not getting their payments from landlords

:sshrug:

Does this trickle down ?

How are landlord supposed to pay maintenance and up keep if the renters are not paying their dues

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NYC small landlords say new eviction moratorium gives tenants excuse to skip rent

The newest New York State anti-eviction laws brought much needed relief to tenants shell-shocked by financial hardships wrought by COVID, but some mom-and-pop landlords worry those measures may ultimately leave them holding the bag.

Those landlords, owners of two- and three-family homes and smaller apartment buildings, say the newest laws adopted in Albany last month are too broad and ignore cases where tenants who are working and have the means to pay rent, simply aren’t — putting cash-strapped owners in a bind when it comes to paying their mortgage, tax and other bills.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My best friend in Rochester has multiple duplexes in the city. He refurbushes each home with new windows, appliances, flooring (or restores wood flooring), heat units etc. He is far from a slum lord and these investment properties are his retirement. The rent he receives pays the mortgages and for repairs. He is very careful who he rents to and does credit checks on all tenants. He is one of the fortunate ones because others around him have not been so lucky and are already getting screwed by people taking advantage of not having to pay their rent.
I have an in law apt attached to my home. We are fortunate to not have to rely on it to pay the mortgage. We, too, have done repairs and invested to make it a better place to live and have not been screwed.
The federal government should have nothing to do with this. Sorry, but no one should be able to tell me (or Greg) that we cannot evict a dead beat tenant! From what I understand, the whole eviction process is bad enough (in favor of the tenant and not landlord) and can drag on for many months. But who is going to pay the mortgages?
This country gets more fu@ked up by the hour.

frequentflier

happy to be living
In addition, because he is a broker and in the real estate business, his homes get inspected I think every two years by the city. Different rules than for the normal land lord.