Executions to Resume in Md.

K

Kain99

Maryland's highest court yesterday ruled that a recent Supreme Court decision does not invalidate the state's capital punishment statute, clearing the way for executions to resume among the 10 men on death row.

Nine months after the Court of Appeals halted Steven H. Oken's impending execution, the judges split 4 to 3 in denying his contention that Maryland's law was no longer constitutional. Oken's guilt was never in question, rather the standard of proof by which he was sentenced. Had the decision gone in his favor, it could have completely upended sentences for at least seven other inmates.

Instead, Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) could soon begin deciding whether to move forward with an execution. Ehrlich, who took office in January vowing to lift a moratorium on capital punishment, declined to comment yesterday.

Washington Post

K

Kain99

Originally posted by IM4Change
But it is racial to execute murders don't ya know? :rolleyes:
Not get off topic but you just reminded me... Was anyone else stunned that the snipers were black?

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Sharon
Well, that's the good news. The bad news is that he's letting off some lifers.

A co-worker of mine will be happy. :bubble:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Kain99
Not get off topic but you just reminded me... Was anyone else stunned that the snipers were black?

:howdy: When they said, be on the look out for 2 black males, I nearly fell out of my chair. I was very suprised.

John Z

if you will
Originally posted by Kain99

I was surprised too. Most of these types of criminals tend to be young white males.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I had no clue really just who/what would be behind all that. My first instinct were terrorists of middle eastern descent but that's just because of the political/social climate at that time.

But the Timothy McVeigh's of the world surprised me back then to the point where I don't know what to expect anymore, so I just don't know. :ohwell:

K

Kizzy

Anyone ever read the book "Bad Company" about the American Terrorist Underground? My first thought was that a person(s) associated with this type of organization was behind the killings. If you haven't read the book, it is very insightful. Many people discussed in the book live in Montgomery County/Silver Spring area.